Author Topic: Fish on! Do you pull other lines?  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish on! Do you pull other lines?
« on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:36 PM »
So in the summer when fishing in close quarters, such as on a pier or bridge during salmon season, when one guy gets a fish on it is generally good courtesy for the guys around him to pull up their lines to prevent fouling with the fish being played.  This brings up a couple questions related to ice fishing...
1. If you are fishing a deadstick and jig from a couple holes inside the same shanty, and you get a hit on one, do you routinely pull the other line up right away to prevent tangles? 
2. If you are fishing within 10 ft of a buddy, and the other guy gets a large fish on (pike, for instance), do you pull your line in?
Just curious.

Offline lastapproach

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fish on! Do you pull other lines?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:47 PM »
1. Yes I pull up the line from the nearest hole. fishing by yourself untangling a line you loose precious time in the water.
2. My friend gets a big walleye on I reel up and go help him get the fish on the ice.
Jiffy STX Pro II 10in, 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450, Otter Outdoors Ice Lodge, Flx-28, White 2010 Duramax 2500 Crew Cab, Rocky Boots, Cabelas Camo Coat, Camo Under Armour Hat, and Insulated Blue Jeans. Beats sitting in school!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:57 AM »
I was fishing a derby a few years back and a friend hooked up a good fish. It circled and tangled up his 2nd line, his brothers line and another friends line. The tangled mess finally became snagged on bottom and he couldn't budge it. Finally his line broke. I had cleared my lines and started clearing his 2nd line when I felt fish. I gave him his 2nd pole back and he proceeded to reel in the tangled mess along with a 20lb laker that ended up winning the derby. His 2nd pole had a Dr. spoon on it that had luckily hooked the fish in the side of the mouth. 

Offline mallardhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:44 PM »
I normally use one main jigging rod and my tipup's and other rod is 5ft or more away if I use another rod. So I do not reel them in, and I am moving around so I never drill holes close enough

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:22 PM »
if i hook a large fish in close quarters i pull the other lines. panfish, no.   
have had bass and pike tangle in ''other'' tip-ups that were too close together but, that's a different story.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:39 PM »
It depends on how deep and how close together. Generally, someone just says "big.... get em up." We then get the lines up and get ready to help get a fish out of the lake. It is also customary to yank the guys transducer out for him too.

If no one says "big... get em up", no one really pays attention.

Offline markjsolomon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2012, 01:02 PM »
I never did before but when I hooked a small pike it slammed my other line.  I iced the fish but spent a lot of time untangling

lesson learned

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Depends on tackle and type/size of fish.  Most panfish, no.  Other fast swimming fish, yes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:33 PM »
You oughta see what its like to go paddlefish snagging on the Yellowstone in MT.  They line up arm to arm on the bank and when these big guys get snagged they run down the river like a freight train.  lol...  Guys are yelling and people are just trying to get out of the way as the fisherman is running down the bank with his drag screaming.  Then another person fills in the gap where he was fishing and the big trebles get heaved back into the water so that the mahem may continue.  Pull lines in?  Are you kidding?   :roflmao:  Seriously though, I have yet to have a problem on the ice, but I am sure my day will come.

Offline Gopher on Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:23 PM »
We fish in a permanent ice shack with five rattle reels and when we get a run we usually let them take without reeling up. The only time we get a mess is when a pike takes the bait. Thats a huge mess.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:42 PM »
the minute I hear the guy say it is a big fish, i'm the first one at the hole with a knife to cut the line so that way it won't be bigger than the one I caught.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:23 PM »
You oughta see what its like to go paddlefish snagging on the Yellowstone in MT.  They line up arm to arm on the bank and when these big guys get snagged they run down the river like a freight train.  lol...  Guys are yelling and people are just trying to get out of the way as the fisherman is running down the bank with his drag screaming.  Then another person fills in the gap where he was fishing and the big trebles get heaved back into the water so that the mahem may continue.  Pull lines in?  Are you kidding?   :roflmao:  Seriously though, I have yet to have a problem on the ice, but I am sure my day will come.

FISH ON!!!!  Everyone below you hurries to get out of the way. 89lbs whopper at the Confluence, ND State Whopper Patch, took me a 1/4 mile downriver. On the ice, generally pull the transducer and if it's big, other lines in a reasonable area around the hole.

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:25 PM »
There is no fishing allowed in our shanty! Strictly card playing, eating and drinking and definitely not in that order.
J3W

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2012, 12:52 AM »
FISH ON!!!!  Everyone below you hurries to get out of the way. 89lbs whopper at the Confluence, ND State Whopper Patch, took me a 1/4 mile downriver. On the ice, generally pull the transducer and if it's big, other lines in a reasonable area around the hole.

89lbs!  Well done sir!!!  My best is just over 50.  Always next year though.  It's a very special fishery and I hope they continue to protect it and manage it properly.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:25 PM »
89lbs!  Well done sir!!!  My best is just over 50.  Always next year though.  It's a very special fishery and I hope they continue to protect it and manage it properly.

That's incredible!  You guys are allowed to snag them out there?  I never heard of freshwater paddlefish before sounds awesome!
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:37 PM »
I've never heard of saltwater paddlefish before

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:58 AM »
That's incredible!  You guys are allowed to snag them out there?  I never heard of freshwater paddlefish before sounds awesome!

Yeah... they have really cut back on the tags in the last few years but it's all good.  It's quite a lot of fun and I hope they continue to maintain the fishery as well as they have been.  It's something unique and I want my kids to enjoy paddlefishing as well.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:18 PM »
There is no fishing allowed in our shanty! Strictly card playing, eating and drinking and definitely not in that order.
J3W

You forgot cursing, you can't have card playing, eating, drinking, and not curse........or expel a little gas. That's
the deal breaker!,
Thread killer

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Like others have said, on a big fish yes, but not for perch, crappies, gill, etc. And of course, on the subject of paddlefish, I have only snagged from a boat, but generally when someone has a big one on and is letting their boat drift while they fight it, I've always found that most people will clear the way for them.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:58 AM »
last winter me and a buddy were fishing about 6ft away from each other, and somehow a perch hit both of our jigs. that was interesting.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.