Author Topic: Repainting Jiggin Raps  (Read 2771 times)

Offline diverdown

• IceShanty Rookie
Repainting Jiggin Raps
« on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:22 PM »
ANy of you guys out there repaint your jiggin raps?? I have a few that are so beat up that there is absolutely no paint left on them. Looking to paint them like they were ie, chrome blue, chrome purple red. Any tips or what types of paint and where to find. Ive been looking online and cant find much. Was thinking nail polish or something along those lines. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Work gets in the way of everything

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
Re: Repainting Jiggin Raps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Agreed, it would be nice to hear of a method for this...also it would be of great interest to me to find a place that sells the replacement fins for those that have broken off.
S.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:12 AM »
Have done it in the past. Used model paints and brushes, they came out fine and tough enough since they aren't cast out like in open water. Use acrylic hobby paints on working decoys these days and if given a month or so to dry completely they're tough as nails. Acrylic paints are a plastic based product but you need to remember, they dry to the touch quickly but take a month or more to cure out to their potential toughness or the paint will re-absorb water and peel off easily. A nice primer job to start with will help. Virtually any color/brightness/even some glows are available at local shops and they mix/match easily

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:16 PM »
I have a wife and daughter that have just about every color nail polish known to man,so last year I tryed it on some jig heads that were plain lead and some that were just beat up and it work well it just takes a little time to dry if you put it on heavy

Offline diverdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:02 PM »
What if I painted them with some of the paints you guys mentioned and put them in the oven to dry/cure?? Any idea what temp I could do this at???
Work gets in the way of everything

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:39 PM »
I wouldnt go to hot maybe just on the warm setting,on my stove thats around 150 deg. and it will most likely smell up the house with pain fumes and a blow dryer might take a while,maybe set them on your furnace I used to dry apples on a string like that when I was a kid nice and warm there this time of year

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2012, 01:37 AM »
If you want to get the actual chrome finish you'll have to use some type of foil wrap.   
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2012, 12:21 PM »
You can probably speed up the curing time a bit under very low heat (heat lamp) but you may sacrifice durability. Unfortunately things that need time to cure out tend to need time, base to the outside. Speeding the curing with heat goes from the outside and hopefully inwards but if the outside is cured the inside moisture will take longer to escape, a possible chipping problem. Just may need to think ahead of time, next time, and give oneself the time needed, a lesson learned by trial and error here. There are some spray can paints on the market that give very good/durable metallic finishes   

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:29 PM »
I repaint lures with acrylic paints (airbrush) and clear coat with Devcon slow cure 2 part epoxy. Need to keep the lure turning during the epoxy drying time or it will run.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Nail polish works. Just make sure to clear coat when done. I let mine air dry or use a hairdryer on low
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:15 AM »
Lurepartsonline sale paint 4 jigs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.