Author Topic: Keeping holes open, great idea  (Read 144494 times)

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
Re: Keeping holes open, great idea
« Reply #60 on: Jan 16, 2005, 04:06 PM »
get some rubber roofing  cut it  12 inch  cut hole in center slit it out to the end. black keepthe hole warm & open :tipup: :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :woot:

Offline DanthefishinMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Oh yeah, baby.
« Reply #61 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:20 AM »
You can also use old record albums.  Cut a notch in the album with tin snips and you're in business.  If you're really ambitious, you can trim the size of the record to fit inside a pail. 
Dan

P Gottshall

« Reply #62 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Dan,

That's excellent.  I have all these old Beatles albums, & didn't know what I was going to do with them since the turntable died.  Now I know!

Use Beatles to catch Crappies.  Never figured. . . ;D

Paul

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 17, 2005, 03:26 PM »
Will these covers really protect in VERY cold temps? I'm guessing that you really need to seal them at the edges,..I thiink others said here before about black frizebees. I think at least one co makes a closed cell rubber cover that is flexible and has a slit and space cut out for a tipup but I never have tried it.

Offline slapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 18, 2005, 08:15 AM »
last year I was having a new roof put on my house .. the roofer gave me a piece of commercial rubber roofing for the roof of my shack ... I took the leftover piece of rubber and put a five gallon pail lid on top of it and cut circles big enough to cover a 10 inch hole .. I then cut a hole in the center of the rubber and cut a straight line to the edge of the rubber ..the hole cover then goes around the shaft of the tip up and covers the hole . also the weight of the trap keeps the cover from blowing away .. this significantly reduces the amount of ice that forms on the hole .. good luck
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 20, 2005, 09:50 PM »
I'd have to agree that sand would be better than water i also think the footwarmers would be a better idea then the hand warmers(if in fact they are two differant types of heat) but instead of putting holes in the bottle why not just leave the cap off as long as it stays above the ice it would serve as better ventilation
mar t
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a ride!" (author unknown)

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #66 on: Jan 21, 2005, 08:55 AM »

« Reply #68 on: Jan 18, 2005, 08:15 AM » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
last year I was having a new roof put on my house .. the roofer gave me a piece of commercial rubber roofing for the roof of my shack ... I took the leftover piece of rubber and put a five gallon pail lid on top of it and cut circles big enough to cover a 10 inch hole .. I then cut a hole in the center of the rubber and cut a straight line to the edge of the rubber ..the hole cover then goes around the shaft of the tip up and covers the hole . also the weight of the trap keeps the cover from blowing away .. this significantly reduces the amount of ice that forms on the hole .. good luck     yes  that is what i use to keep my hole open work real good  :tipup: :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tip up

« Reply #67 on: Jan 26, 2005, 03:33 PM »
 :tipup: anti-freeze...... just kidding!

Poolshark

« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2005, 10:20 PM »
Try ice fishing in March. ;D

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2005, 02:51 PM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANYONE HAS INVENTED SOMETHING TO ATTACHED TO A GAS AUGERS MUFFLER WITH SOME FLEX TUBING TO RUN OUT A DOOR OR WINDOW TO REMOVE SMOKE WHILE CUTTING HOLES INSIDE THE FISH HOUSE.

Offline frozenstiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 30, 2005, 10:24 PM »
2 things that i haven't seen listed are 5 gal bucket lids and the containers that plants come in. the bigger black ones there fairly thin but have seen people use them. i have used the bucket lid and it works great drill a hole in the center and a slit to get the rod through and your set and as a bonus you can put the lid on your bucket to hold all your good in.  :tipup:

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 01, 2005, 09:45 AM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANYONE HAS INVENTED SOMETHING TO ATTACHED TO A GAS AUGERS MUFFLER WITH SOME FLEX TUBING TO RUN OUT A DOOR OR WINDOW TO REMOVE SMOKE WHILE CUTTING HOLES INSIDE THE FISH HOUSE.
I'd look for the hose that goes to a clothes dryer find the smallest size along with the ring clamp adapt it as need just my2cents
mar t
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a ride!" (author unknown)

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #72 on: Feb 01, 2005, 01:32 PM »
I'd look for the hose that goes to a clothes dryer find the smallest size along with the ring clamp adapt it as need just my2cents
mar t

Good idea. Someone sure is thinking today!!!

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:25 AM »
plumbers use rubber inflated stoppers they have a tire pumb fill and a chain. it looks something like a ballc**k in your toilet. they use them on the cast iron pipes so they could be rather large(enough it fit 8"-10").
 this is whats great about sites like this. in reading other idea's your (well mine) brain gets to working (or smoking) here's a site that has just what i'm talking about there's one call (((Big Mouth Flow Thru Plugs))) - Available from 8"-10" (200mm-250mm) through 12"-15" (300mm-380mm) here's a link to the page
http://www.trenchbox.com/pages/products_pe_muniplugs.html

timberdoodle

« Reply #74 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:50 PM »
i just bought some of the hole cover they have in sportsmans guide. they are about 3 bucks a piece but they work great they are black foam of some sort they have a slot cut in them and a hole in the center. they haven't froze up yet even at 18 below....by the end of the day the holes were just slushy, not frozen.

Offline chetter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My little fish slayer!!
« Reply #75 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:14 PM »
Yes these are good products!!

*ww.sportsmansguide.com

product #

WX1-59919
East of the Cheesehouse!!!

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #76 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:47 PM »
Has anyone tried using Plain old balloons to plug their holes when not using their shanty for a week or so. Just wondering if this would work. I think it would work. Blow the balloon up stuff in hole. When you return just pop the balloon ready to go.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I have used the grey colored round closed cell foam pads sold by HT with the slot cut in them.   They do keep the hole from freezing but I find that they often freeze and get stuck on the ice and tear.  Last year I bought several 5 gallon bucket lids from Home Depot, spray painted them black and cut the slot into them to the center.  They work great and cover the biggest hole you can drill.  They also stack nice for storage.  They also don't tear apart when you peel them from the ice.

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #78 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:52 PM »
wondering if anyone ever tried using those cheap role up sleds. the kind that is just a flat piece of memory plastic that roles up. u can get them anywherefor $1.99 (wal-mart, k-mart, shopko,) i used this last year in my perm. shanty when i wasn't going to be there for a few days.  i would just role it up backwards and stick it in the hole, and when i came back and it was full of ice i just gave it a few whacks with the needle bar and pull the sled out and i had a nice clean, like just drilled hole.  just scoop out the ice chunks. ;)
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #79 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:36 AM »
  This thread has some good advice for tipup hole covers and permanent shanty
hole plugs but there is no magic product that you can put in your hole to keep
it from freezing.  Don't put alcohol, antifreeze, wd40, pee, oil, or anything in there.
It polutes the water, gunks up the hole, lines, and reels.  And worst of all gets on your fish and into your families foodchain.  Half these guys are kidding anyways.
  In a permanent shanty turn up the heat.  In a flip style we are on the move and
freezups aren't too severe.  On windy days leave the slush and just dip the center
of the hole.  On the ice place buckets and gear to divert the wind.  The heated can
idea works but I've never stayed put long enough to give it a try.  Pulling fish up
through a hole knocks the ice loose.  No fish... move.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:51 PM »
Some of the suggestions about alcohol and antifreeze were the types that are biodegradeable and wont effect the environment Reelbigfish. As far as the other stuff and your concerns for the environment, let me ask you a question. Do you own a gas auger? If your worried about the pollutants getting into your food chain then I hope not. How about a boat? Do you fish open water with an outboard motor? How about when you are out on the ice? Do you pee in a bottle or walk all the way back to shore? Do you drive an ATV or snowmobile on the ice? I am all for keeping my environment clean Reelbigfish but when you consider the pollution that gets poured into the water from a single outboard engine or from a leaky gas auger, your concern for a squirt of WD40 is a little redundant wouldnt you say?
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Ice Troll,
  Sure I own a power auger but it doesn't leak gas.  Of course I'm concerned about
the environment and try to do my part to keep it clean.  I don't mean to come off
sounding like a know it all but I just feel that some bad advice was given to some of
our more novice members.  There is no need to drag along a bottle of antifreeze,
alcohol, or any petroleum distillate as it just doesn't work.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:12 PM »
I am a novice, but for sure have enough sense  not to put anti freeze, gas, or such down the hole. Ice fishing novice has nothing to do with that. I hope anyway . I found a really old ice fishing book,50s, and it says to use "spirits." wonder what they meant by that?  :o

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:20 PM »
I am a novice, but for sure have enough sense  not to put anti freeze, gas, or such down the hole. Ice fishing novice has nothing to do with that. I hope anyway . I found a really old ice fishing book,50s, and it says to use "spirits." wonder what they meant by that?  :o

Swede:  I'm thinking they meant "mineral spirits"
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2006, 02:37 PM »
I would hope that most of these novice fisher persons would have enough common sense to discern the good from the bad ReelBigFish without any help. Also, if your gas auger doesnt leak a little bit of gas now and then, its the only one on the planet that doesnt. Your concern for the environment is noble and I share your concern but dont get carried away. Every time you simply walk on the ice, you are carrying pollutants that can get into the water system so lets not sweat the small stuff.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:05 PM »
I like my polar therm extremes 8)
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #86 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:52 PM »
made some from a old rubber pu truck bed mat :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:32 AM »
has anyone tried the big mouth plugs ?

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:29 AM »
wondering if anyone ever tried using those cheap role up sleds. the kind that is just a flat piece of memory plastic that roles up. u can get them anywherefor $1.99 (wal-mart, k-mart, shopko,) i used this last year in my perm. shanty when i wasn't going to be there for a few days.  i would just role it up backwards and stick it in the hole, and when i came back and it was full of ice i just gave it a few whacks with the needle bar and pull the sled out and i had a nice clean, like just drilled hole.  just scoop out the ice chunks. ;)
I think that this is the best idea yet , esp. as stated for hardside shantys ...I think that I'll use this idea whenever I get my new shanty out onto the ice .
What I did last year in my portable (left out on the ice for 2 months) was as follows : I poured fine sawdust(from my table-saw) into  doubled up plastic bags and pushed them into the holes ...next morning (after a cold night ) the holes would be open ... sometimes after a real cold night ,with just a bit of chisel work was good to go .
Some times the outer bag would tear , sticking to ice on removal ...so extra bags were always handy to have along .

Offline trainwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:13 PM »
Let a charcoal briquette float in the hole,If the sun is out it will warm the top layer of water enough to keep it from freezing,just dip it out when you leave and throw it in your bucket,lasts forever and non polluting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.