Author Topic: Keeping holes open, great idea  (Read 144512 times)

Offline foss4936

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keeping holes open, great idea
« Reply #90 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:50 PM »
why dont you get a real good set of gloves and a jiffy chisel scoop and walk over to your hole and clean it out that way.  :) ;)
those plastic sleds work pretty good but the best thing ive found is a five gallon  bucket split down the middle and the bottom cut out of it placed down the hole in the shack keeps the draft out real nice :)

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:08 PM »
I've been using the bottomless plastic pail method now for about 4 years( I use a pail of about 2 gallons(Muffin Mix pail 6.2 kilograms Robin's Donuts)). Just cut out the bottom shove it through the floor hole ...it does keep out the wind and snow. I keep a tin can of water on the wood stove and pour a bit of water down each hole whenever they start to scim over with ice .Left overnight (without the sawdust bag) the holes will freeze solid.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #92 on: Jan 21, 2006, 02:20 AM »
Windburn is correct, At home I had a hot water line that ran right next to a cold water line the darn hot water line would always freeze first so one day playing cards, drinking beers and telling tall tales. I told the gang about this, they thought I was full of crap, so we did some experimenting on the lake one bored day, nobody believed me until I proved my point. Strange but true.

-Scott

LOL ??? ???

it's a fact, the molecules are moving around faster that it freezes faster, ever see people throw a cup of hot water in the air when it's freezing out and it freezes before it hits the ground.... this is why. Ask Bill Nye the science guy!....LOL

Up here its so cold the water disappears before it hits the ground. You could probably be standing underneath it and not even feel a drop @ -30 or colder Boiling water goes POOOF in the air into a big steam cloud.

Now about this keeping your hole from freezing and the wind out if you have a shack, has anyone mentioned sonnet tubes or concrete tubes from the hardware store, cheap, easy, biodegradable

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #93 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:44 AM »
One thing we do is paint one side of our tip-ups flat black and point that towards the sun, even on hazy days. It won't necessarily keep the hole from freezing, but often prevents the ice from freezing the tip-up in solidly. Also makes them much easier to see against a fresh snow.  -Jim

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #94 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:27 PM »
    Don't put alcohol, antifreeze, wd40, pee, oil, or anything in there.

I'm also opposed to antifreeze, gas, cooking oil, WD40,etc being purposefully poured into the lake (even in small amounts)

But if you're out there and ya gotta pee?  C'mon man. 
You can pee on the ice or in the water (summer or winter) and no one would ever need to be concerned about it.

Now leaky septic systems is another story.  But those problems have very little to do with pee (some problems from poop and even more problems with soap from  dishwasher, shower, laundry.  Not to mention whatever else goes down the drain like BLEACH for example).
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline bluegill hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Guys, there is a new product out there.  I'm not related what soever to the company.  I just own one and love it.  The new thing is called the Holee Molee and it runs off of D batteries.  Trust me here in ND the temps have been plenty cold and this thing works wonders.  Check out there website http://www.houndheater.com/purchase.htm.  Here is another website with some reviews of the Holee Molee.  http://www.fishingbuddy.com/forums/topic.php?fid=166&tid=20269&rid= and http://www.fishingbuddy.com/forums/topic.php?fid=166&tid=20269&rid=

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:09 AM »
great idea
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Mar 03, 2006, 11:54 AM »
So, I started this thread on Nov 7th, 2003 ;D ;D ;D                Do I make it in the top 10 longest running thread.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #98 on: Mar 03, 2006, 05:28 PM »
good ideas gonna try the carcoal in the can and the handwarmers this weekend :)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #99 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Frabill thermal tipups are isulated and completely cover the hole. you can pack snow around them to seal out the wind, and you can stack five in a pail with no tangles. they are also blaze orange so they are easy to see.  they work for me.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:10 AM »
After months of Intense Reading  ;D I gotta say i agree with FossCo.
Keep your holes "tended"....check your bait.......youll find you catch MORE fish!
Reasoning...youre moving your bait up and down in the water column...perhaps attracting...but more importantly..NO Bait...No FISH!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #101 on: Oct 12, 2006, 09:10 AM »
I have what is called "happy feet". If fish dont bite in 15 mins, I move. I am always checking my lines and putting on fresh bait. Every time I change bait, where does the old bait go? Down the hole of course! Walk around to the holes,scoop the hole clean and always wiggle the lines. I go insane just sitting there waiting for the fish to find me. I actively search them out.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Whiskey_on_ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Oct 18, 2006, 12:29 PM »
This was the topic of conversation between me and a guy i once knew.  I was amazed when he said, "all ya need to do is pour some antifreeze into each hole, it works great!!"  I've never tried it, and never will (because of environmental reasons of course) but I'm sure it would work great.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Oct 20, 2006, 11:03 PM »
In WI. If you take it out, you take it home!! ANYTHING!! In the water, and in or on ice,leftover after you fish, 1. Neglect. 2. Littering. 3. Point Source Pollution!! They, all have fines! I, AGREE!! With the law. :)

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Oct 21, 2006, 12:39 AM »
The best way to keep open holes in your hard side is to use 2 liter soda bottles.  Fill the bottles up enough so that they are floating upright.  To get them out, open up the top and pull out.  Works like a charm and non polluting.   :)

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Nov 01, 2006, 02:28 AM »
In WI. If you take it out, you take it home!! ANYTHING!! In the water, and in or on ice,leftover after you fish, 1. Neglect. 2. Littering. 3. Point Source Pollution!! They, all have fines! I, AGREE!! With the law. :)

Proove that yellow snow is mine
 :P :P
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:32 PM »
D.N.A.!!

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Nov 09, 2006, 01:13 AM »
Good point
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #108 on: Nov 09, 2006, 12:05 PM »

I don't believe urine contains DNA, does it?  ???  :wacko:  :unsure:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #109 on: Nov 11, 2006, 07:18 PM »
Im sure it will. Look how they can just run a qu-tip on your cheek and find it on there.
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Nov 12, 2006, 07:03 PM »
The subject; Keeping holes open, great idea!  ;D Sorry, that I brought other subject's, into the post! D.N.A. and point source pollution. They belong in a different post.  :-[

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Nov 12, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Is the idea to keep holes open while fishing, or in between trips? I know guys who do different things to accomplish each one.

pcsminer

« Reply #112 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:21 PM »
What i find that works great to keep holes open in a shack over night are simple balloons. Just blow them up and stuff into the hole. has worked great in -35c wheather for at least 18 hours.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #113 on: Jan 02, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Well we've done it now! Here in Michigan we can't get them to freeze back up! We have those holes opened from one shore to the other on every lake in the state. Seems we always have to go to the extremes here. Look what we did with the Detroit Lions!!!
 :sick:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:10 AM »
This is how I keep holes open works to 30 below , coldest I,ve dared to get out I'm sure it would work in colder temps, holes even get bigger, ice free day and night. only way to go. All you have to worry about is cold stiff reels, line freezing in eyes and on to spool and hands, minnows freezing before you can get em in the water, but holes are smoking 8)
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #115 on: Jan 06, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if the Boidegradable RV anti freeze would be ok? I would never do it because I would be worried  about my bait becoming contaminated,hMMM,might be an attractant ::)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #116 on: Jan 07, 2007, 09:16 AM »
I remember some biodegradeable anti-freeze I once had said Jack Daniels on the lable. I couldn't see dumping it down an Ice fishing hole though ...

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:05 AM »
i like the aerator idea, what is a good quality one too try, cheap ones never lat me more than a couple of trips.
da splake chaser

Offline Fishin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:39 PM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANYONE HAS INVENTED SOMETHING TO ATTACHED TO A GAS AUGERS MUFFLER WITH SOME FLEX TUBING TO RUN OUT A DOOR OR WINDOW TO REMOVE SMOKE WHILE CUTTING HOLES INSIDE THE FISH HOUSE.

Yes, they already have that, saw it on ice team.com or maybe on e-bay. Made for driiling ice holes out in permanant shanties. Look under stuff for spearing shacks,  Mike

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:45 PM »
my son likes to walk around cleaning them all the time  :) :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.