The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 227364 times)

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #690 on: Dec 06, 2019, 03:46 PM »
TiggerTamer: I will try to answer a few of your questions so you at least get an answer to them although I'm not the game warden  ;D.

Lower Sunshine lake is about 3/4 capped with 1/4 still open water as of 12/06/2019 so not fishable yet- But upper is so if you want to go catch a fish in that area its doable.

Lake trout do inhabit Lower Sunshine and they caught quite a few last year in 50 or so feet of water but you better have strong line and patients as you might jig all day and only get one bite if your lucky- Then one never knows you might catch 2 or 3???  Most of them are running 5-15 pounds but heard of a few larger ones for sure coming out of there last year!!

Hope that helps.. The other thing you can do is just call the Cody Game and Fish office Mon-Fri as they always answer their phone and can and will answer questions...
Marvin

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #691 on: Dec 18, 2019, 06:48 PM »
When using more than two (2) lines, the angler’s name shall be attached to each line, pole or tip-up; the angler shall be no more than three hundred (300) yards from all lines; and, the angler shall check his/her own lines.

What that means is: If you are within 300 feet of your line you are in "ATTENDANCE". That is the regulation.

I have no skin in this game as I'm rarely out on the ice at night and have only spent a few nights camping out on ice while ice fishing...however after a conversation with the WG&F Casper Region Supervisor about another topic, I brought this up as I knew the conversation was out there and of interest.

According to him, if you're sleeping you are not "in attendance" regardless of distance.  Below is the Merriam-Webster definition.... gotta say this is an issue they need to clarify.  If I was ticketed for this, unlike all my elk tags I wouldn't eat it.

Definition of "in attendance"
1: present at an event, meeting, etc.
Everyone in attendance voted in favor of the measure.
A number of celebrities were in attendance.

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #692 on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Is it legal to buy flathead minnows out of state?? I don’t intend to sell. I’d like to get a bunch and make salted minnows and also dye and brine them. It’s difficult to get minnows in my area without driving a couple hours.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #693 on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Is it legal to buy flathead minnows out of state?? I don’t intend to sell. I’d like to get a bunch and make salted minnows and also dye and brine them. It’s difficult to get minnows in my area without driving a couple hours.

No, it is illegal to import live minnows into the state unless you have a bait dealers license.

ClearCreek

Offline Mohawk Garage

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #694 on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:47 PM »

There is a guy here in town that sells minnows, look up Dahls minnows on Facebook, I think that's his page, if you don't have luck let me know I have his number.

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #695 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have his number but it seems like he’s always out of minnows and most of the one I have got from him are tiny. Be good for perch and crappie I suppose. Just looking for different options

Offline allornothing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #696 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:45 PM »
There is a guy here in town that sells minnows, look up Dahls minnows on Facebook, I think that's his page, if you don't have luck let me know I have his number.
That guy is a turd, been stood up by him several times, like everything else in Rawlins, buy it out of town.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #697 on: Dec 24, 2019, 03:27 PM »
This question is for the Fish biologist that manages Healy Reservoir. Does WYGF plan to continue stocking efforts of Tiger Musky in Healy reservoir? If so, what is the short term and long term plan for stocking? If not,  can you explain why that decision was made?

One more question: Has the WYGF ever conducted an angler survey to determine angler preference of target species in Healy reservoir?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline allornothing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #698 on: Dec 24, 2019, 03:40 PM »

One more question: Has the WYGF ever conducted an angler survey to determine angler preference of target species in Healy reservoir?
I know they have angler survey cards at parking lots asking catch numbers of each species and what species was being targeted. Now I dont know how many people take the time to fill out those cards and if the g&f have compiled that information.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #699 on: Dec 25, 2019, 10:41 AM »
This question is for the Fish biologist that manages Healy Reservoir. Does WYGF plan to continue stocking efforts of Tiger Musky in Healy reservoir? If so, what is the short term and long term plan for stocking? If not,  can you explain why that decision was made?

In a month or two the perch age and growth data will be analyzed and then future plans for Healy will be formulated.

ClearCreek

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #700 on: Dec 25, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Clearcreek are you actually the fish biologist?

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #701 on: Dec 29, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I know the game and fish has been sticking tiger trout in more and more places.... thank you!!

I know they are in Wheatland 3 now, just curious if they were added to Twin Buttes and North Crow too?

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #702 on: Dec 30, 2019, 08:08 AM »
I know the game and fish has been sticking tiger trout in more and more places.... thank you!!

I know they are in Wheatland 3 now, just curious if they were added to Twin Buttes and North Crow too?

Dear Gemcityslayer,

In southeast Wyoming tiger trout are now in Wheatland #3, Lower North Crow Reservoir, Emigrant Reservoir, Rawlins City Reservoir, and Saratoga Lake. 

Thanks,
WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline akaakira

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #703 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:24 PM »
At one time there were flathead catfish in the North Platte....there's even a state record. Have they exhausted their life span? Is there a stocking program? I haven't heard any news of people catching them...they aren't even listed as a game species in the fishing regulations.

Also, my buddy told me he had talked to a fisheries biologist in Casper and said they contemplated stocking wipers in Alcova at some point. Was there any truth to this consideration?

Thanks

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #704 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:13 PM »
At one time there were flathead catfish in the North Platte....there's even a state record. Have they exhausted their life span? Is there a stocking program? I haven't heard any news of people catching them...they aren't even listed as a game species in the fishing regulations.

Also, my buddy told me he had talked to a fisheries biologist in Casper and said they contemplated stocking wipers in Alcova at some point. Was there any truth to this consideration?

Thanks

Flathead Catfish were stocked in the North Platte back in the early 1990's.  Our records show 133 flatheads stocked below Dave Johnston in 1993.  Those fish were around 1 pound each when stocked.  Our summers are too short for successful reproduction, but they are a long-lived species so it is possible that a few are still out there.  They are actually listed as game fish (they are in the Genus Pylodictis...page 20 in the new regs).

As far as Wipers are concerned, yes that is something that has been tossed around, but for Glendo, not Alcova.  We need to gather information from other states to determine if they will even survive or grow well here, determine if forage availability is sufficient, decide if there is a clean source of fish that is free of disease or AIS, etc.  If we were to move forward with it, it would be several years out at least.

Offline akaakira

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #705 on: Jan 05, 2020, 05:33 PM »
oh, wow... very cool. Thank you for the correct info!

Offline rhinorv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #706 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:21 AM »
Curious if I could get info on where to find topo maps of upper and lower sunshine reservoirs? Thanks!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #707 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:50 PM »
I got one. Minnows, If you purchase couple dozen minnows and decide to split them up in a couple different buckets for easy transportation or group share. Can you have two buckets with one ticket? Got asked this question and I couldn't answer it.
No one left behind.     

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #708 on: Feb 04, 2020, 09:09 AM »
I got one. Minnows, If you purchase couple dozen minnows and decide to split them up in a couple different buckets for easy transportation or group share. Can you have two buckets with one ticket? Got asked this question and I couldn't answer it.
Good question. If you are in a group and you want to split up minnows, the easiest thing to do is to have the bait dealer write a receipt for each bucket you plan to split them up into. For instance, you buy 4 doz minnows and you have two buckets, have the dealer write two receipts for 2 doz each. That way, each group has their own record of receipt. We don't care who purchases the minnows, we just need the minnows accounted for. Hope this helps.

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #709 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:16 PM »
How many Tiger Muskies and grass carp were stocked in Bass lake? What is the final goal of this program?

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #710 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:15 PM »
im not affiliated with game and fish but you can go on the website and download 2018 and 2019 full stocking reports for the whole state. on 2019 stocking report it shows that 499 Tiger muskie were introduced at a length of 5.4" and 28,770 largemouth bass at a length 0f .3" in Bass Lake (Lake Cameahwait). Does not mention any grass carp. very informational reports to look at.

Offline akaakira

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #711 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:59 PM »
So, I just got back from fishing one of the many ponds throughout the state that gets stocked with many diverse species by the Game & Fish. It was unproductive, but a fun, exploratory, "seeing new country" kind of day. However, it made me wonder, for example, when the Game & Fish stocks a pond like Lake McKenzie in Casper, I see a lot of different predators being stocked into a small pond every year, that has limited access from the bank, a fairly small sized body of water, and heavy restrictions on bait fish use. My question is this... is additional forage/bait fish added to the ecosystem to sustain these stockings as well, or do they simply rely on predation of "young of the year" to sustain the habitat...essentially fending for themselves? Thanks

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #712 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:25 AM »
So, I just got back from fishing one of the many ponds throughout the state that gets stocked with many diverse species by the Game & Fish. It was unproductive, but a fun, exploratory, "seeing new country" kind of day. However, it made me wonder, for example, when the Game & Fish stocks a pond like Lake McKenzie in Casper, I see a lot of different predators being stocked into a small pond every year, that has limited access from the bank, a fairly small sized body of water, and heavy restrictions on bait fish use. My question is this... is additional forage/bait fish added to the ecosystem to sustain these stockings as well, or do they simply rely on predation of "young of the year" to sustain the habitat...essentially fending for themselves? Thanks
Every pond is a little different, but with McKenzie, young of year Green Sunfish along with YOY white suckers and carp, provide the forage base for the larger Bass, Crappie and Catfish.  Based on our electrofishing surveys, there is plenty of forage in there, which is why that lake grows 19-inch Largemouth, state record sized sunfish and 10+ pound Channel Cats.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #713 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:42 AM »
Looking for some clarification since I am having a hard time finding much.  Where can I go to find the regulations on operating a 4-wheeler/snowmobile on lakes during the winter?  I would like to know what lakes allow motorized atv's on & do you need any kind of permits to operate them on the lakes?  Any help is appreciated.

Offline HunterK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #714 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:14 PM »
I know I can use my gas auger on Jackson Lake, but am I allowed to do so in some of the smaller lakes in GTNP?

Offline WyoJon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #715 on: Dec 10, 2022, 10:39 AM »
The game and fish are great for providing information. Their website even shows stocking records for lakes

Offline DeHaai44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #716 on: Jan 15, 2023, 01:49 AM »
I know this topic probably gets beat to death.   I am curious why Game and Fish doesn't stock perch into pathfinder or alcova.  I have talked to a few and no one has giving me a valid reason as to why.   I just think it would be cool to get a pan fish species in those lakes and offer another form of forage for bigger fish species.

Offline Motopsycho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #717 on: Feb 23, 2023, 06:14 PM »
Is WYG&F involved in Roach Gulch?

Offline Meek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #718 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:53 PM »
Looked the fishing regulations up and down and can't find creel limits on kokanee for alcova, pathfinder, de smet???? Why is there nothing there? ??? ??? ??? ::)

Offline Schlager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #719 on: Feb 24, 2023, 09:26 AM »
Kokanee are included in the creel and possession limit for trout and are listed as salmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.