Author Topic: fatheads  (Read 1525 times)

Offline moosemeat

• IceShanty Rookie
fatheads
« on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:51 AM »
 Hi everyone i have a question about fathead minnows. i got 3 dozen fatheads at cabelas i used about 6 when i went out fishing the rest of them i put in a small cooler i put air pump on every other day.none died in about 3 weeks. so saturday i bought 2 dozen more from a different bait shop put them down the cellar untill the next day so water temp would be same as the cooler then added put them in the next morning about 6 of the new ones were dead the next day all the new ones were dead but the older ones are still all alive i was wondering what would cause this.  Thanks         

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: fatheads
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:58 AM »
Did you use city tap water without airing it for a couple of days with the new batch?  The clorine that is often added to city water needs to off gas in order for the water to be safe for the minnows.  Alternatively, there may be some chemical that you can purchase to bind and remove the clorine from the water if you don't have the time to air it out. 
Chris Raymond

Offline moosemeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2008, 03:52 PM »
 i put them in with other minnows in a cooler.the other minnow were in there for a few days i change the water twice a week only the newer minnows died .theres only about 2 dozen in a 5 gallon cooler.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I would say that the sudden change in water temperature is probably the culprit .
                                                                                 John

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2008, 04:50 PM »
I would say that the sudden change in water temperature is probably the culprit .
                                                                                 John

Yup. They need to float in the new "tank" in a bag for an hour or 2 so the water temp can slowly change in the bag to that of which they will be in. It keeps them from going into "shock".

Dave

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:39 PM »
could be old bait not as hardy my guess or the delay in putting them in new water stressed them  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2008, 08:13 PM »
 You have to keep fatheads cold ALL the time and give them plenty of air .... Other than that they will last for ever if ya take care of them ..
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.