Author Topic: Items for First Aid  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
Items for First Aid
« on: Jan 07, 2022, 12:33 PM »
What do you keep in your first aid kit on the ice besides sutures, bandaides and tissues to wipe away the tears when the trophy breaks your line.
I keep an extra set of needles and thread in case I need to sew up my hand like I had to do in 07'. Damn musky got me. And the bourbon.
If you can't stand the heat, get your bass out of the kitchen.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Items for First Aid
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2022, 12:43 PM »
Hemostats (hanging off the tackle box too) alcohol wipes, scissors, narrow and wide gauze roll, eye drops,
padded tongue depressor, ace bandage, syringes, small bottle of hydrogen peroxide, tweezers, vaseline, hard candy. (for a diabetic )

Musky munched my buddy's thumb ball. Right thru the muscle, had to have surgery. Unreal.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2022, 01:09 PM »
My nissan frontier came with a huge first aid kit buckled in the back.i have used quite a few bandaids out of it already.

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Coffee and snacks
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2022, 01:19 PM »
I keep a generic $20 kit in my pickup but have created my own first aid kit for my dog. Gauze doesn't work well on fur lol.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:21 PM »
I aint got time to bleed
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:22 PM »
Hemostats (hanging off the tackle box too) alcohol wipes, scissors, narrow and wide gauze roll, eye drops,
padded tongue depressor, ace bandage, syringes, small bottle of hydrogen peroxide, tweezers, vaseline, hard candy. (for a diabetic )

Musky munched my buddy's thumb ball. Right thru the muscle, had to have surgery. Unreal.

What's the vaseline for?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:30 PM »
Windburn on cheeks or ears, dog's paw pads.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:34 PM »
 :whistle:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:35 PM »

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:37 PM »
I thouht maybe for using on eyelets to stop from freezing. Wasn't sure.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:39 PM »
Stop it, you goofball.  :roflmao:
should add a little bottle of whiskey too,in case you have to sew someone up with fishing line.shot for you and shot for them.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:42 PM »
That's what the fish billy is for. *BONK*  Knocks 'em right out.  :wacko:

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:58 PM »
My nissan frontier came with a huge first aid kit buckled in the back.i have used quite a few bandaids out of it already.

When I got rid of my Xterra ..I cut the bag out ..thats my kit ..added some liquid bandage and other odds and ends ..finger bandages comes to mind... one time bunggeing down some stuff and wap bungee slammed my thumb ..oh the pain as well as the unstopable profuse bleeding ..duct tape and limited movement was the only option .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:41 PM »
Israeli Battle Dressing, Quik Clot, CPR one way valve rescue mask, sharp wire cutters to cut off hook points, superglue, liquid bandage, duct tape,
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:44 PM »
Most important thing is toilet paper amd at least an 8 inch auger. 6 inch or smaller makes it hard to aim into the hole. Lol.

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2022, 08:13 PM »
Nothing, However I do know basic first AID. First responder's carry what is needed, if it ever goes that far sideways.. Maybe some prayers!

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2022, 05:38 AM »
I always keep a tin of zippo fluid and a spare set of clothes. I got soaked once and nearly froze. Lucky for me I wasn't alone. I got so cold my brain stopped working, and it's not the best when it does work. But I remember going from panic mode trying to get back to the house to just thinking I'll curl up in a ball till I warm up. Lucky my friend knew I was not thinking right and basically dragged me under a bridge. Used his sweater to start a fire and get drift wood and sticks from the bank to warm me up. As soon as I got warm enough to think again I could hear the sirens. Somebody called the cops because all the smoke coming out from under the bridge. I think I would have died had I been alone. So fire is my most important thing I bring everywhere. I would never stich anybody in an emergency situation. Takes too much time to thread a needle and stitched you up. I've got a staple gun I ordered off a veterinary website. Pinch the skin and staple it. So much faster and easier than trying to hold still and slowly sew somebody in pain. By the time you hear the click and feel the pain the staple is in. You can flinch, scream, or jump around all you want between staples and if I had to do it to myself it wouldn't be anywhere near as impossible as traditional stitches. I could put in a few staples and add some liquid skin faster than I could thread a needle. It's almost impossible for me to even tie on a jig with the old eyes sometimes. Emergency situation in the wind and snow with a spike of adrenaline and you'd bleed to death before I ever got to stitching you. Buy the staple gun for like $20.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2022, 05:45 AM »
couple bandaids in my wallet

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2022, 06:31 AM »
Latex gloves
Wet Ones, antibiotic, bandaids (boo boo kit)

then..
gauze pads
roller gauze
steri-strips
tape
cravats
rolled wire split
tongue depressor
safety pins
duct tape
tylenol
lighter
all kept in a ziploc bag...

Also I have a small but more extensive first aid kit in truck.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2022, 09:44 AM »
Gotta have a proper first aid kit tailored toward the activity you're doing, might save your day or might save your life or someone else's. If you've ever had, or seen, a cut from auger blades you know how nasty that can be. Absolute must haves:

- Rubber gloves
- Gauze
- Medical tape - fabric, never the cheap paper kind
- QuickClot powder and/ or bandages.
- Butterfly closures
- Pain/ headache reliever
- Mylar emergency blanket
- Ace bandage with extra clips
- BZK disinfectant wipes
- Antibiotic first aid cream, bonus points if it's got a pain killer in it
- Typical bandaids and the like

All that takes up less space than a sunglass case.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2022, 12:22 PM »
band aids, tape, gloves, tylenol, advil, crazy glue.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 07:47 AM »
Latex gloves
Wet Ones, antibiotic, bandaids (boo boo kit)

then..
gauze pads
roller gauze
steri-strips
tape
cravats
rolled wire split
tongue depressor
safety pins
duct tape
tylenol
lighter
all kept in a ziploc bag...

Also I have a small but more extensive first aid kit in truck.

I am on two different blood thinners. After recently having an arterial bleed, without immediate intervention I would not be here.

I had a tourniquet in my truck but now had added a tourniquet to my smaller first aid kit. Also added hemostatic gauze and pressure dressing to both.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2022, 08:12 AM »

I am on two different blood thinners. After recently having an arterial bleed, without immediate intervention I would not be here.

I had a tourniquet in my truck but now had added a tourniquet to my smaller first aid kit. Also added hemostatic gauze and pressure dressing to both.

Good idea to have a tourniquet in every kit, Bart. A bandanna and a pencil will work well, also remember your belt....or boot laces and a stick.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2022, 09:14 AM »
OOPS  :o I have going fishing several hours away from home for decades and have not thought much about the possible need for first aid.

I do bring an OTC pain reliever and vaseline with me on every trip that I am spending at least 1 night away from my house ( motel stay ). My hands get seriously chapped within just a couple of days on the ice and before going to bed I gob the vaseline on and then cover my hands with a sock while sleeping. I have learned that I need to get ahead of this problem or else my fingertips will crack and bleed and make it painful to make the slightest touch to anything at all.

I don't consider the items I bring as first aid, that is more along the lines of stopping heavy bleeding etc.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2022, 09:25 AM »
WARRIOR_ON_ICE  the  OKEEFFS working hands seems to work for me ...diy ...wind burnt hands ...same issuse with the finger tips ..apply before and after trips ..some iburphofen helps with the throbbing as well
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.