Author Topic: U.S. Line Company Tip-Ups  (Read 7632 times)

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
U.S. Line Company Tip-Ups
« on: Feb 12, 2003, 11:54 AM »
Somewere on this forum I found information on a traditional crossbar tip-up and will follow up on what I found. The web address for the U.S. Line Company, http://www.usline.com/Ice_Fishing/body_ice_fishing.html  looks like a company that sells quality wooden tackle for fishermen who like a system ideal for deep snow cover. I tried to request a catalog, but like the web page states, only available to the tackle trade (business's). They do however offer the oppertunity to purchase the newest addition to their tip-up selection, the Hi-Flag Iceman. Looking always for an upgrade, I called in to order one. Check out the page for yourself. After inspecting it I'll report if I seen them locally rather then ordering even though the season is at its height and spring tackle is starting to dominate the store shelves.
                                        :'(  George in Throop PA

Ice Troll

Re:U.S. Line Company Tip-Ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2004, 04:55 AM »
I wont use anything but these tipups since my buddy gave me some. The next time I order some though I will order only the trip mechanism parts and here is why. Where I fish, we catch monster Northerns and Lakers and I love the design on these but they are not stought enough for truly big fish. What I did with mine was I went out and bought several 8' pieces of half inch pine. I then disassembled the tip ups and re-assembled them in the same dimension using the flag, rod and trip mechanism. They come from the factory with the reel attached using only a nail which I dont like, so I attach the reel using a long/small diameter bolt. It is a fairly cheap endeavor and involves more time than anything else. I put the finishing touch on by finishing the wood with some Thompson water sealer and walla.......A great wood tip up that is tough enough to handle any size fish you catch. They  will never give wind flags either if you turn them into the wind and the flags are really long hence the name- Hi flier. I have caught numerous fish in the 15 to 20 pound class that spooled me before I got to the tipup and have never had a fish tear apart the tipup. Conversally, I have seen fish litterally tear the real assembly right off a polar tipup. If you fish for walleye, trout or panfish they are plenty tough enough to handle these fish without beefing them up.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2004, 11:42 PM »
George,  The hi flag is a great tip-up!  Lot's of spool space, easy turning, tall for the deep snow, straddles a 10" hole well, and has an extremely high spring steel flag!  I don't think you'll send it back, ENJOY! ;)  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 06:24 AM »
I did the same thing that IceTroll suggested. Bought the parts and built my own, but I used poplar for wood. They didn't need any sealant and they will hold up to anything you can catch. Plus they look GREAT!
FTD

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:35 PM »
I have one of the  Hi-Flag Iceman tip ups and 3 of the green tip ups, I would say by far these are the best tip ups out there. They work great and catch fish.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline FingerLakesBen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: U.S. Line Company Tip-Ups
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:48 PM »
I have 4 that my grandfather gave me way back when I was a young boy.  They are still going stong, and I'll never get rid of them.  I'm planning on getting some new spools and flags for them in the offseason.

Offline iceman61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:21 PM »
I have one of the  Hi-Flag Iceman tip ups and 3 of the green tip ups, I would say by far these are the best tip ups out there. They work great and catch fish.

Jon

im looking for hi-flag tip-ups any info. would be greatly appreciated

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Are these still available? Tried the web site and it was a place to download music now  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2007, 07:06 PM »
[scavengerj
Are these still available? Tried the web site and it was a place to download music now  :)
[/quote]

Me too, I got a shipping co. (as in freighters and tankers) ::)
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Sucks not having a web link, but they are a nice tip-up. A lot of people I fish with up in Mass. use them. If you put a cloths pin on the bottom with a rubber band you can use it like a downrigger release for larger baits. I have seen them angle after a huge hit, but have never seen one pulled through.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.