Author Topic: tip-ups  (Read 3234 times)

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
tip-ups
« on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:23 PM »
how does everyone "set the hook" on tip-ups. I watched a couple of videos on here and it seems the guys who r using tip-ups rarely tug the line back to set the hook. Am I doing it wrong, as I normally feel if there is some tension and then pull about 1 1/2 to 2 feet of line back real fast. let me know. thanks

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:27 PM »
I do the same.  wait until there is tension and give it a good tug.

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Same here, just a little tug when you feel pressure.  It may depend on what you are fishing for though.  This always works for me when I'm fishing for bass and pike.  I've also caught plenty of catfish and dogfish this way also.
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:59 PM »
how does everyone "set the hook" on tip-ups. I watched a couple of videos on here and it seems the guys who r using tip-ups rarely tug the line back to set the hook. Am I doing it wrong, as I normally feel if there is some tension and then pull about 1 1/2 to 2 feet of line back real fast. let me know. thanks

Keep doing what you're doing. I do the same thing, a swift jerk back abouit 2 feet. Yopu want to make sure that hook gets set if they are just sitting there mouthing it. I have been burned in my early days of ice fishing by just pulling line out of the water as if the hook is already set, feeling a really heavy fish at the end for a few pulls of line and then feeling the weight release, fish getting away because it was never really hooked.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Online Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2007, 07:33 AM »
I use quick strike rigs on my tip-ups. All they take is a short firm tug. I've watched people try to turn the fish inside out with the hook set IMHO that is way too much. Like others have said keep doing what you are doing.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:02 AM »
I just use a slow steady pull any more.  I find that i pull less hooks out of the mouths of fish with that versus giving it a quick tug to set the hook when i feel tension.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:25 AM »
Just a firm tug and a steady pull. I know what you mean, I love to watch people try to cross the fishes eyes.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:36 AM »
For bass a nice tug cause sometime they just suck on the bait with their mouth closed.  I pull to feel tension and then give it a nice firm jerk.  Trout, yank lets unless you plan to just mount the lips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi, Marine
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:37 AM »
I use hooks so sharp that all I have to do is slow the line down  8).. No setting the hook, to many fish lost that way  :'(....    
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:49 AM »
I use quick strike rigs on my tip-ups. All they take is a short firm tug. I've watched people try to turn the fish inside out with the hook set IMHO that is way too much. Like others have said keep doing what you are doing.

Sharp hooks, short set. Guys try too hard and either break lines, hooks or let the fish feel em trying for a home run bass pro hook set.

Short and simple.
Quick strikes are AWESOME for pike!!!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Keep doing what you are. Short strong yank, the hang on and keep the slack out.  ;)

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2007, 12:17 PM »
Quick and simple feel tension and i give a quick flick of the wrist. you dont have to yank a fishes dentures out to set a hook. last couple years i have been trying those circle hooks and i just cant prevent myself from setting the hook and missing fish. dont get me wrong if you get to your tip up as the fish is still running all you have to do is stop them with a circle hook and it pretty much sets itself but if the fish has already stopped running and i try to set the hook ill bet 50% of the time you lose the fish. so in hindsight i will be sticking to my #10 or 12 trebles and just a flick of the wrist and the fight is on.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Setting to hook on tip-ups depends which type of hook you use. I use circle hooks for fish like pike and trout. Circle hooks you just begin to pull the line slowly after a fish has stopped running. I use octopus style hooks for walleye and after a fish has stopped running pull the line until you just feel resistance and a quick snap back of the wrist set the hook and the fish usually runs after you set the hook.  :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline Rangerkev

• IceShanty Rookie
  • gone fishing
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Just a quick tug or snap of the wrist is all I do for trebles.  I have not used circle hooks on the ice just may try.
Born To Fish... Forced To Work!!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2007, 02:40 PM »
about a 3 inch tug for me. works great!!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2007, 03:03 PM »
about a 3 inch tug for me. works great!!

:o :o :o ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline miller326

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kill'em ya grill'em
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2007, 04:22 PM »
I do the same.  wait until there is tension and give it a good tug.
that should do it

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2007, 04:25 PM »
I just give a short quick tug and they are on. Make sure to sharpen your hooks every time you go out. If it is tough putting your bait on the hook It will be even tougher to set the hook on a hard mouth fish.(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:13 PM »
The fish is already on when my tip-up goes off  ::) - they seem to set the hook on themselves .... trot on over, grab the rod, and put the fish on the ice

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.