Author Topic: Tip-up newbie  (Read 6812 times)

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
Tip-up newbie
« on: Mar 05, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Hey guys just wondering if you could give this tip-up newbie a few pointers.  Finally bought a tip-up the other day, a HT polar therm.  Usually I just set a rod off the the side, 25-50 yards from where i do my main fishing. It's really hard to see if anything is biteing, and it usually ends up filled with snow.  I was just wondering the best set up for using a tip-up and how exactly it works.  thanks for the help guys (and gals don't want to forget you).

Paul
Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
Re: Tip-up newbie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:05 PM »
what kind of fish will you be fishing for?

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:38 AM »
We usually will be going for perch, jack and walleye.  I really want to try for burbot though.
Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:08 PM »
I have many variations for my Walleye rigs, but a general set up would be 20lb braided nylon line (Mason) with a 3-4ft. of Crystal Fireline 6-8lb. I use a treble hook (usually as small as I can find) tipped with a medium shiner. Make sure to use a line marker (a button works well, but HT make's a tip up bobber to mark your line) so you are controlling depth.
Good Luck.

Offline holyfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2007, 10:23 AM »
Up here, we use smelt for "pout".  We catch them just like panfish, smash the head, and let it sit on the bottom, the pout just come along and pick them up.  usually works a bit better just before and after sundown.
Joe

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2007, 02:59 PM »
First off all mine are spooled with 30-40lb mason line, and then I'll attach different leader types for different species.  I use a large ball bearing barrel swivel or even a large snap swivel at the end of the main line to interchange leaders quickly.

Walleye - usually a 10-12lb mono or floro leader with a small treble and live minnow, or a fireball jig tipped with a live minnow through the tail so it can swim around.

Pike - homemade quickstrike rig (30-50 lb steel, and this year experimenting with some homemade titanium quickstrikes) with a big smelt, sucker, chub, tullibee, sardine, mackeral, etc.  Set anywhere from right on bottom to just under the ice.

Burbot - any kind of fresh bait, such as smelt or cutbait set on bottom with 1 or 2 trebles.  And when using a tip-up for burbot, don't always expect them to take line and set the flag off, alot of times they just sit there with the bait and don't move, so check them every half hour or so to see if theres anything there.

I've never used a tipup for perch, its just never been worth it when the action is usually good enough with just jigging, and if I do need a second line for perch I'd rather just use another rod with a slip bobber, I find a tipup a waste of time for perch fishing.

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2007, 03:59 PM »
i use a frabill pro therm tip up covers up hole. no snow no ice :D :D easy living

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.