Author Topic: Mirrors attached to tips??  (Read 6289 times)

Offline 2inchofice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mass hick and proud
Mirrors attached to tips??
« on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:10 AM »
Hello all, My buddy has this little invention where he attached mirrors to the tops of his tips.  They swivel so he can dirrect the sun down into the water.  Do you think this works, and if so, what kind of fish do you think this would benefit?
NObody understands ice the way we do.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mirrors attached to tips??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:14 AM »
I do not know for sure if that would attract fishies.. I suppose however that any thing to make that bait stand out might work. I say give it a try cant hurt :)
It might help to keep your auger holes clean too?  A little extra sun on the sweet spot ..

Tight Lines

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2006, 07:28 AM »
very vain fish who like to look at themselves..... ;)

Offline Higgy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin' and Grinnin'
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2006, 07:49 AM »
Hello all, My buddy has this little invention where he attached mirrors to the tops of his tips.  They swivel so he can dirrect the sun down into the water.  Do you think this works, and if so, what kind of fish do you think this would benefit?

I'm intrigued now. The only time I feel this may be of benefit is in deep winter when there is a whole lot of snow on the ice, and the ice is really thick. It might just draw more fish to your holes due to the fact they can see a beam of light shining down from a lot further away. In theory? Hmmm...
Live Free or Die! Ayuh, LOVE NH!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:36 AM »
I'm intrigued now. The only time I feel this may be of benefit is in deep winter when there is a whole lot of snow on the ice, and the ice is really thick. It might just draw more fish to your holes due to the fact they can see a beam of light shining down from a lot further away. In theory? Hmmm...

What does that say about using hole covers to block the light?  Just wondering.  :unsure:  :)
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:50 AM »
With tip ups & jigging I always leave slush in the hole to keep it dark. Even more so in shallow water. Whats his results with the mirrors? In theory I could see why he might try this. Light brings in the smaller stuff, which brings in the bigger fish.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:59 AM »
I always heard light was bad down a hole.  Spooks the fish they say.  But if it works can't be all that bad.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Lets do an experiment. Using the same bait at the same depth, on same type of line, on the same type of tip-up, using the same size hook, in the same size holes, cover half the hole and use mirrors to shine light down the other half. That should solve the debate.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2006, 10:12 AM »
I would think you would be constantly changing the angle of the mirror to capture the suns rays to reflect down the hole.  Sounds like too much work for me, but I usually do not use tip-ups.    
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2006, 12:05 PM »
I used to put mirrors on the tips of my shoes but ..........aw, nevermind  :)
Pete Lewis

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2006, 12:09 PM »
The mirror thing was invented and patented about 6-7 years ago . I seen them in an ice fishing catalog . I cant remember the name of the catalog but it was all ice fishing gear from jigs to shelters . If memory serves me correctly it was from Minnesota and was about thirty or so pages long . Not a fancy book just a paper one kind of like an overgrown flier .
The idea was for the mirror to reflect light into the hole for live gait and therefore make the shiny sides of the minnow reflect the light making it appear to be injured .
Not sure if they work but as many have already said I hear the light can sometimes spook fish instead of attract them . If I'm not mistaken they ran about five - six bucks each .

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Lets do an experiment. Using the same bait at the same depth, on same type of line, on the same type of tip-up, using the same size hook, in the same size holes, cover half the hole and use mirrors to shine light down the other half. That should solve the debate. 

Great...now we gotta wait three months!  :(

I had always understood that light around your tip-ups was a bad thing.  Except for pike...I don't think they really care.
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:51 PM »
did anyone try it? Perhaps Magnifying lenses so you can see the action while hovering the trap.....helllllllllll lo  ;D

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Now we gotta get you together with a buddie of mine that persist in laying out a 15x15 black tarp on the ice with a 12" cut out in the center to fish through, says the dark helps. Ain't sure who to bet on, but it would be worth the info. I'm not razzing you man, if it works use it.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:21 PM »
It may help attract ...

SUNFISH !!!

:D

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2007, 12:52 PM »
Now we gotta get you together with a buddie of mine that persist in laying out a 15x15 black tarp on the ice with a 12" cut out in the center to fish through, says the dark helps. Ain't sure who to bet on, but it would be worth the info. I'm not razzing you man, if it works use it.
they already have this one too...its called..the...slipnsli de lmao

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2007, 10:25 PM »
I don't know what to tell ya but if your friend new you put his secret all over the web he would prob kick your a$$. :-\ ??? ;D OH my gush its late gotta go to bed have to be up in 3 and 1/2 hours. night all
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2007, 01:21 PM »
i have used a dodger tyed above the leader and shinned a flashlite on it , the sucker;bait, swims in a circle and it flashes rite fine. spinners work great verticle also

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:25 AM »
i have used a dodger tyed above the leader and shinned a flashlite on it , the sucker;bait, swims in a circle and it flashes rite fine. spinners work great verticle also

I agree with Rob...in nasty or drk water we put a small propeller type blade over a bead.  Plenty of flash for pike.

M.I.R.C. 

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I don't know what to tell ya but if your friend new you put his secret all over the web he would prob kick your a$$. :-\ ??? ;D OH my gush its late gotta go to bed have to be up in 3 and 1/2 hours. night all
200 + square feet of black tarp on white snow ain't much of a secret! Makes some folks shake their head some though. Biggest advantage I've seen is most folks give ya plenty of space!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.