Author Topic: No Tangle Transportation of Tipups  (Read 10638 times)

-Shawn

No Tangle Transportation of Tipups
« on: May 03, 2002, 01:35 PM »
I had some problems with transporting my tip-ups. The treble hooks would always get snagged in my clothing or whatever else they could get snagged up in, in my sled. We all know what a pain it is to get hooks out of clothing. What I did was I took some 35mm. film canisters and put a small notch in the side at the top, just big enough to get the line through. All you do then is put the treble hook in the case and snap the lid on. I also use a rubber band to hold the line and case wrapped around the spool. I have'nt had any snags anymore. The only thing I would change is the case could be about half the size, but it still works great and the case's are readily available. Hope this helps someone out. Good luck out there on the hard water! Shawn  

JP

Re: Transporting Tipups
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 01:36 PM »

Those are some good tips, guys. Most of the cross member-style units have holes along the edge of the spool. I secure my hooks in them.

For Wind-las style units, I simply secure the hook in the eye on the fin and then tighten down the plastic wingnut on the spool.

Polars are the easiest to carry/set-up and store. Most have holes in the spool like the cross member tip-ups. The wingnut on the side keeps the unit folded flat.

I have a fold out, nylon tip-up bag that unfurls like a scroll. Pockets hold one end and litle velcro tabs snug the tip-ups in place side by side. It rolls up like a cigar, and ties tight with two external straps. The bag holds 5 lines, and has a carry handle. Fully loaded it's about 18" long and 10" in diameter. Looks basically like a nylon thermos. Great little piece of gear. I have a separate one for my jigging rods.  

John Warden

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 01:41 PM »
Cheap and easy tip-up organizer.  It will hold 6 polar tipups tangle free! You need a 5 gallon bucket, 4" PVC-thin walled, rivots or marine seal for securing the tubes to the pail.

CT

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 01:42 PM »
What I did, as I use the quick strike rigs with two trebler hooks, was to cut a piece of felcro strip about 8" long and I place it on th espool then place the hooks onto it and wrap it around.

No hooks in the line, no hooks in my clothes and I can carry 24 tip ups in my back pack when I go fishing with my sons and they never tangle - NEVER!!

Tipup-O-master

Re: No Tangle Transportation of Tipups
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2002, 04:50 AM »
;D :o ::) :P Wow dudes ... way-cool ... ideas! Buddy uses a piece of rubber hose to hold hook and then rubber band to hold line in place ... works ... but these ideas are better.

Tipup-O-master  ;)

IceFisherman

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2002, 07:12 PM »
Hi guys! There is an easier way!! Just do as I do, leave the minnows on your treble hooks, YEAR ROUND!!- LOL

george again

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2002, 07:31 AM »
hey i do the same thing,..works good

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2002, 08:23 AM »
I tied all different leaders for all types of fishing and keep these leaders in a special leader container. when i reaches my spot all i do is snap the leader onto my snap swivel and im ready to go. i have smaller leaders for panfish and trout and bigger one for pike and walleye. i use a flourocarbon leader for the smaller species and tie the leader directly to the hook w/o a swivel. i think a swivel affects the action of the bait if too close. my leaders are anywhere from 18" to 3' long. system works pretty well so far, just a little tedious but its worth the effort and time spent tieing the leaders :'( :'(
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2002, 10:08 AM »
Hey JP, where did you buy your tip up roll up? I have mine in a nylon backpack, but they get all tangled up and hooked to one another.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2002, 12:05 PM »
I glue circles of cork on my reels.  Wrap the line, leader and hook on the reel and stick the barb into the cork.  Fairly convenient and tangle free.  Think there is a pack basket under the Christmas tree, may have to look for  a basket liner for my traps.  Tight lines, Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2003, 08:28 AM »
a no fuss method is just dont barb your line. the hook point holds your line in place and it wont go far in your pail.

Offline Cold as Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:No Tangle Transportation of Tipups
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2003, 10:01 PM »
instead of rubber bands  I use old bycicle tire inner tubes cutting them about an inch apart...work pretty good for me
Ken.

wsb_bwhntr

« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2003, 07:41 PM »
I agree with the leader idea, its something I've used in the past.  Has anyone ever thought of using single hooks.  That's all I use.  Pound a small nail into the top of a Beaver Dam and hook the single onto it.  The flag holds the spool in place and keeps everything from getting messed up.  

Also the idea of the thin walled PVC in a five gallon bucket...  I tried that last season.  Bucket was heavy when finished and how do you get six into the bucket.  Even in your picture you only have three, but claim to get six into your bucket.  I did get six, but had to mount some of the PVC to the outside.  That led to other problems.  To sum up the experience either I'm missing something or it doesn't work all that great.

bill

LunaThree

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2003, 11:39 AM »
I bought some 3/4" copper pipe caps at the hardware store, drilled a small hole in the ends and cut a slot down the side to the hole.  Then screwed them to the side of my tip ups.  Place the treble hooks down into the cap and wind the line snug and tighten the drag enough to hold.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2005, 11:56 AM »
All VERY good ideas . . .

Hmmmmm, which one to try first ? ? ? ???

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:03 PM »
I tied all different leaders for all types of fishing and keep these leaders in a special leader container. when i reaches my spot all i do is snap the leader onto my snap swivel and im ready to

what do you fish for? my granddad hooked into a big northen and the snap on the swivel broke, we dont use those no more 

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:53 AM »
I found little velcro straps at the home depot for keeping extension cords wrapped.
They have a slit and the hook goes into it then I wrap it around the spool and stick it to itself. Works fantastic and never a tangle, the straps just get stuck to the upright while fishing for safe keeping.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2005, 09:08 AM »
I have Beaver Dams and was always getting the treble hook snagged in line on the spool when I rolled it up to put away or the hook would get caught on another tip up. I screwed a 1/4 inch eyelet screw into the end of the tip up and hook the treble hook in it for storage. Works great. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2005, 04:46 PM »
i like to mash the hook wayyyy down in the line so then i cant get the hook back out unless i have pliers!!  make sure you get the barb through the squiding line and itll never come out while transporting!!!!    ;D  ;D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2005, 07:58 PM »
Hey Bigdawg, We all did that ONCE! A true Bi #@^ in the dark! ??? ???
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2005, 11:30 PM »
I stole my girlfriends hair bands stretch around the spool and hold the hook in place. They have an elastic quality but aren't affected by the cold as rubber bands are. Just hope she doesn't find out lol ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.