Author Topic: Landing fish on tipups  (Read 5485 times)

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Landing fish on tipups
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:35 PM »
I know when I'm fishing by myself and I get a fish on a tipup, you have to be very carefull how you set your tipup down and how you coil your line next to the hole, so that if the fish goes on a big run things don't get all snarled up on ice chips etc.... What about when you are fishing with others?  I was taught to help whoevers flag is up (if they want) by taking the tipup from them when they pick it up and walking it back carefully as they gain on the fish, and also winding up the line so that it doesn't get snow etc. on it, and so that it is all wound back up on the spool when the fight is done. How do you prefer to do it or what traditions like this have you been taught?

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: Landing fish on tipups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:45 PM »
Sometimes i walk the line back if the fish is a real runner but other than that they are on their own ;)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:07 PM »
Usually, I'll go grab the minnie bucket while he tends to the flag, and if he messes up and loses a big one, he gets a bunch of grief and hopefully learns to do it better the next time ;D

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:10 PM »
what about carrying a bucket to the hole with the flag and putting the loose line in that?
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Sometimes i walk the line back if the fish is a real runner but other than that they are on their own ;)
Thats the same thing i do.

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:03 PM »
If it's a big fish or if it's really windy I'll help my partner out.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:15 PM »
if we're targeting big fish then I grab the minnie bucket and gaff and give'm a hand..  walk the tipup back and try to keep the line free..  but if it's panfish..  I usually just look listen.. and sometimes laugh.. and if he wants a minnie brought out I grab the bucket.
gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:07 PM »
what are tip ups lol i dont use those anchors anymore :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:16 PM »
what are tip ups lol i dont use those anchors anymore :)

what about those custom tip-downs?

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:20 PM »
yeah i used them twice last year      what a pain setting tip down/ tipups up
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2005, 05:42 AM »
yeah i used them twice last year      what a pain setting tip down/ tipups up

Waaaaaaaa!  Guess I wasn't asking you then, eh? ???

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:34 AM »
If it is a slow fishing day I will help my fishing partners out. If it is a fast day, then its everyperson for themselves.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:04 AM »
  I try to make sure that the area right around the hole is cleaned off as smooth as possible before it freezes so there aren't any little ice chips to hang the line up on.  While I'm bringing the fish up I'll lay the line in coils on the ice much like you would do if you were bringing up a boat anchor.  If the fish makes a run, you only need to let the line pay back out between your fingers.

On the very cold days when the holes are freezing up quickly,  I take carpet squares with a slot cut halfway to a hole in the middle to lay them over my traps to stop freezup.  The carpet also makes a good surface to coil the line on while you're bringing it up.

If I'm helping someone out, I'll usually grab the tipup and wind the line in as he gains on the fish.  Of course if you get someone who goes hand-over-hand, throwing line everywhere, they are pretty much on their own!   ;D
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

camo_fish

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:45 AM »
and also winding up the line so that it doesn't get snow etc. on it,

and so that it is all wound back up on the spool when the fight is done. How do you prefer to do it or what traditions like this have you been taught?
I don't do this, just it might have a big run, I like to lay or fling my line and lay it down so it does mess up on a run personal.

But, I too will help others with there tipups and try to hand it back to them wound back up to drop point, that is always a big help. And always hoping that the next people watches and learns how to help others too, instead of just standing around and watching or getting in the way.  ;)

Offline ice hoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:57 AM »
what's atip down, have a picture? ::)

PIKEGUY

« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:55 AM »
I like to kick snow at the guy while he fights the fish, maybe drink one of his beers and then laugh when he loses it ;D. Just kidding. We try to stay out of each others way and do anything the other might ask for help with.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:27 AM »
we do it like perch nut bring the minnow bucket and maybe the jaw spreaders and if your buddy jacks it all up start yelling that you could have landed him and razz him all the way back to the shack great fun then when he asks for a beer tell him you sure you can handle it or should we put a nipple on it  ;D
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2005, 01:05 PM »
I throw snowballs and empty beer cans.  No, really, I grab the bait bucket (if using live bait), the gaff, the jaw spreaders, and the hookouts while they are heading for the flag.  If conditions warrant we usually walk the tip-up back or manage the line in some other way for the lucky bastige.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:55 AM »
I think help is always appreciated. The faster you can set-up the tipup again the better in my opinion. Don't waste valuable time waiting for someone to reel in line with frozen fingers....get the tipup back in, there could be more.  :-X

Fyrwlkr
<

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2005, 11:06 AM »
You can always fill his half-full beer with lake water (when he's not looking).   8)  I had that one played on me last year. 

Offline Adrock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2005, 11:33 AM »
Depending how cold it is out there, i will grab the bait bucket, plyers etc.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:53 PM »
y not just keep the plyers in your pocket   i usually race my dad or his freind to the flag, so we all get there and then we fight over who has to go back and get the bait

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:45 PM »
ITs usually every person for them selves.  I will however bring over the minnow bucket and watch the battle that ensues LOL .... hopefully as im bringing the bucket over my flags are going off too :D

:tipup:  TIP UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :tipup:

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:47 PM »
My gang usually helps out by grabbing the trap (aka tip up) and winding it back on for you.  As somebody else stated, it sure helps when your hands are about frozen solid after getting the fish to the hole. 
Typically, the flag goes up, one guy heads for the bait bucket, and the rest have a foot race to the hole.  Somebody grabs the trap and keeps the kids back from stepping on the line.  When the fish comes above the ice, there are hearty congrats for a game fish and the right amount of scorn and derision for a lost fish.   Usually cries of "You bucknered it boy." or "And Mookie's on first!"  That's about as low as one can get in the life of a BoSox fan.

We're making ice now boys !

Russellman

Russellman

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:36 PM »
With our polar tipups, the guy fighting the fish can count on someone else winding up his line on the spool as he brings it in. Works very very well, and if ti decides to run, the line isnt hooked on the ice...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.