Author Topic: 8 Dead this weekend through the ice  (Read 1758 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
8 Dead this weekend through the ice
« on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:14 PM »
I know these are snowmobilers but it translates pretty well to us ice fishing. I am sure you've heard of the man that died on Moosehead, another in Vermont and I just now read of this, an experienced guide in Quebec that lead his group of 5 onto thin ice.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/1-dead-5-missing-after-group-of-snowmobilers-plunges-through-ice-near-lac-saint-jean-1.4778130

Just a tragic, deadly past week for snow travelers on the ice. Be safe on the ice people!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: 8 Dead this weekend through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:49 PM »
WOW  :o. That’s horrible about those tourist in Canada....
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Crazy.  That is scary
Salmonemia

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Been a lot colder 500 k north of Montreal than any where around here! You can't trust ice! CHECK First!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:06 PM »
I.pray, this is the last tragedy this year, God speed to those who.perished.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:13 PM »
Scary situation, wonder if the guide lost his way or just rolled the dice that it was safe going off trail.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:08 PM »
You never know what the ice is like doesn't matter where you are.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Very sad all around, even sadder some will even comment on this post saying the same things mentioned and then still ask a stranger for conditions on here tomorrow. Use your head folks. Mistakes are fatal in this sport.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:01 PM »
These are really tragic, as they happened to people at the wrong place, wrong time...
What I hate hearing about (mainly because they are preventable) are the incidents by idiots that think they can drive impaired in an environment that is initially more dangerous than the roads.
I usually hear these sad stories later in the season involving someone that decided to go for a ride, drunk/high (whatever) and at night, and choose to go over the worse possible sections of the lake.

That's another reason why I never drink while I fish.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:02 PM »
TRAGEDY!  :(

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:25 PM »
rip , what a horor story

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Prayers go out to their family and friends. Such a tragedy.
MA

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:05 PM »
So sad. I fished in a spot yesterday that had 6 inches last weekend, and I was on 3 1/2 in the same spot. Very scary

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:18 PM »
Very sad.  Sobering reminder of the consequences of misjudgments.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:28 AM »
Very sad all around, even sadder some will even comment on this post saying the same things mentioned and then still ask a stranger for conditions on here tomorrow. Use your head folks. Mistakes are fatal in this sport.

Well said AA.
Just add water.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I'm not a fan of snow mobiles. I can see how great they are for getting your gear long distances on the ice.
They sure do seem to kill plenty of their riders. Kind of a winter ritual to hear of the latest tragedies.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2020, 01:56 PM »

This is a dangerous year so far. Please use your chisel even if you get a second hand report.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2020, 02:51 PM »
I'm not a fan of snow mobiles. I can see how great they are for getting your gear long distances on the ice.
They sure do seem to kill plenty of their riders. Kind of a winter ritual to hear of the latest tragedies.

I personally make every effort not to ride on a lake unless I am fishing and only then if I know the lake well.

In the case of the Lac St. Jean incident, I can't for the life of me understand it. First of all, if you are professional guide in that area you should know that lake like the back of your hand. Second, you should have on your machine a very, VERY good GPS that shows you the staked route (even I do, and I'm no professional guide). Even with a GPS (my third point) if you can't see the stakes, you need to turn around and find them, or backtrack to land the way you came if visibility is bad. I have personally spent 3 hours on Moosehead Lake going the 14 miles from Northeast Carry to Rockwood in a white out, searching for every, single stake. Fourth- and probably the most important point of all... I have ridden all around that lake, all around Roberval and the trail riding up there is INSANE. I can't for the life of me understand why a group of customers on a tour would rather be riding on the stupid lake instead of what is arguably the finest snowmobile trail system on the entire planet.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2020, 02:53 PM »
I personally make every effort not to ride on a lake unless I am fishing and only then if I know the lake well.

In the case of the Lac St. Jean incident, I can't for the life of me understand it. First of all, if you are professional guide in that area you should know that lake like the back of your hand. Second, you should have on your machine a very, VERY good GPS that shows you the staked route (even I do, and I'm no professional guide). Even with a GPS (my third point) if you can't see the stakes, you need to turn around and find them, or backtrack to land the way you came if visibility is bad. I have personally spent 3 hours on Moosehead Lake going the 14 miles from Northeast Carry to Rockwood in a white out, searching for every, single stake. Fourth- and probably the most important point of all... I have ridden all around that lake, all around Roberval and the trail riding up there is INSANE. I can't for the life of me understand why a group of customers on a tour would rather be riding on the stupid lake instead of what is arguably the finest snowmobile trail system on the entire planet.

:bow: he’s right
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.