Author Topic: Any thoughts on Ice Armor vs Mustang vs Striker Suits?  (Read 5163 times)

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Guys - After last years terrible winter here in MN for getting on the ice, and having a little one at home I'm really considering one of these flotation/insulating suits.

Any thoughts on quality, warmth, breathability?

Seems info is hard to come by as these are relatively new to the community.  I'm looking for something that I won't sweat my @ss off in, but could save my bacon with being warm and floating if the worst happened.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any thoughts on Arctic Armor vs Mustang vs Striker Suits?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Correction - Arctic Armor

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any thoughts on Ice Armor vs Mustang vs Striker Suits?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2012, 09:36 AM »
i'm in the market for some bibs as well.

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2012, 09:47 AM »
I'm thinking of getting the Striker Lite suit.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2012, 11:19 AM »
No experience here with the Mustangs...
Not a fan of AA's - the bibs just just dont seem to fit me right in the legs and I dont like bulky insulated suits. Have always been fine layering properly under a windproof waterproof layer. But... that dosnt float...
Last year I picked up a pair of Striker Lite bibs and couldnt be happier. The design and fit are great. Love the fact that the legs zip to the hip and zip down from the top also for venting. I know they had some problems with the crotch seams comming un-done. But I know they handled it well.
As for warmth, I cant imagin the regulars. The Lites are toasty! We dont get super cold temps but I was out in prety cold with just a moisture wicking base layer and thin pants...

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2012, 12:04 PM »
I love the Arctic Armour but you do not want to do a lot of physical activity while wearing it or you will be sweating.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2012, 12:33 PM »
anyone have the non floating striker bibs?

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2012, 12:45 PM »
I have found no issues with Arctic Armor.  Very good quality and piece of mind. I don't overheat in it any more than with my Carharts and I pull my portable by hand on our lakes.  I would definitley recommend a stylish Stormy Kromer to top off whichever suit you choose!  @)
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2012, 01:21 PM »
love my arctic armors! just dont have to put so many layers under them plenty warm and they float!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2012, 01:44 PM »
The only problems I have had with my Arctic Armor were my own. I decided to wear my bibs during the drive to a local lake and everything below my waist was damp wit sweat when I got there, but I didn't get cold because of it. Another time I was blowing snow and my sweatshirt and cotton shirt were damp. I went fishing right after blowing snow and put my AA on over damp clothing. It was a cold windy day and I did get a bit chilly that afternoon. As long as I wear a wicking base layer and dry clothes I find AA to be very warm and comfortable. I do take the jacket off while drilling holes and setting the portable up. One thing I like most about AA is that it is not bulky.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I'll second what Ice Dawg said about the low bulk of the Arctic Armor.  I find it very comfortable to wear (you do have to get the size thing right, which I know can be a little tricky).  Being overheated vs. cold is really a matter of having a clothing "system" where it is particularly important to use synthetic fiber materials (fleece, etc.) and different weights of undergarments so you can select what's proper for each outing based on expected physical activity and air temperatures.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2012, 06:31 PM »
looked at strikerlite suits last but at $500.decided to with helly hanson one piece delta float suit for $250.glad i did  love the suit

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2012, 09:19 PM »
I have had the Mustang one piece float suit for three or four years. It is
very warm and not very bulky. I only wear long johns under it on the coldest days.
Love it.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2012, 09:26 PM »
I love my Arctic Armor suit. Yes, they can get sweaty if you're dragging stuff out on the ice, but the key to staying safe on the ice anyway is to not get too much of a lather worked up and you'll be fine, sweat leads to perspiration, leads to body temperature dropping due to moisture, body temperature dropping leads to hypothermia. Stay safe out there guys, if you aren't going to invest in a suit, at least get a PFD and some spikes!

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2012, 09:39 PM »
After evaluating a few suits last year (and with two little ones in the house now) I'm getting the Striker Lite Float suit this year.

;D

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2012, 08:05 AM »
After evaluating a few suits last year (and with two little ones in the house now) I'm getting the Striker Lite Float suit this year.

;D

You will be pleased.  I got one last year and am so glad I did.  Breathes really well, and is set up for fishing!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Thanks guys - I'm looking at the Helly Hansen suit too, didn't know it was available.

In any case this is major peace of mind!

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2012, 07:14 PM »
I got my Striker Lite floating suit last year, I have to say i'm very happy with it.  it is well vented i never got too hot, I stayed dry when kneeling on the ice even when it was wet, lots of pockets for all your gear.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2012, 07:47 PM »
I only have Arctic Armor and 99% satisfied, just wish it had a pocket on front of the bibs...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2012, 09:19 PM »

I also have Arctic Armor & I'm very satisfied w/it. I tried it out tis summer to see if it floats like it shows on the video & YES it does. :thumbsup:

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Have the AA and its comfortable. Although, i would prefer somethings diff like pockets and stuff like that but overall i like it. Plus, it looks like a reg coat/jacket so i wear it outside of fishing.
Cant comment on the warmth as we dont have very low temps but i wore long sleeve shirt underneath in 25f and was warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.