Author Topic: Any help would be appriciated  (Read 2234 times)

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any help would be appriciated
« on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:28 AM »
I had heart surgery last august and since then I can not keep my feet warm. I bought a pair of black banta mickey boots and my feet still get cold, ive put feet warmers in to. Im kinda of bummed about my mickeys. Anyone know of a good pair of boots that could help, ive looked at the 1500 and 2000 gram rubber boots that people tell me they are great, Im between a rock and a hard place, I want to keep ice fishing but if I cant keep my feet warm I may give it up.
thanks for any input

dave

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any help would be appriciated
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:48 AM »
I'm in the same boat, just can't get warm feet. I've spent lots o dollars trying different boots and have settled on using chemical toe warmers. I've tried every recommended pair of boots on here exce[pt the Cabelas Trans Alaska which will be my next try
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:55 AM »
The rubber boots reall are great. I have a pair that are 1200 grams and they keep my feet warm and toasty! Plus there completely waterproof which ensure that your feet dont get wet and cold which is always nice. Another thing I like is that they dont have laces to deal with! Mine have a half zipper  and a pull strap to tighten the top. This makes it so much easier to get on and off. No more frozen boot laces! I hope you can find something that works for you. I would hate to see you have to give up something you love!  :-\
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:03 AM »
Baffin boots with quality wool or Alpaca socks , you cant go wrong .
Good Alpaca socks will run $20.00 a pair but well worth the money .

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:11 AM »
I also hate the cold toes! I bought these baffen Impacts and no more problems. Buy them one size larger.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:18 AM »
as far as socks go, I bought the guaranteed for life socks at Bass Pro and thank God they are guaranteed, I've worn out 3 pair last season. These socks are junk but they keep replacing them for me
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:41 AM »
get a thin pair of polartech fleece socks and wear them under heavy weight expedition socks (either wook or synthetic). Also I am not a fan of rubber boots for keeping warm ( I wear them deer hunting to keep out scent) but they do not breath. You need to get sweat away from your feet or they will be and feel cold and clammy regardless of how much insulation you put on them.

My ice fishing boot/sock set up is this.

Cabelas Inferno 2000 pac boots (water proof/breathable, 2000grm thinsulate) with 1/4 inch insulated insoles, polartech fleece socks (next to my skin) and then Cabelas extreme cold weight socks. My feet are my weak point too (Always had cold feet) and I can stay out all day with this "system."

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0033812830667a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=inferno+2000&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0014820811676a&navCount=2&podId=0014820811676&parentId=cat600967&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat600967&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600967&hasJS=true

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___17600

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___14880

Hope this helps

J-

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:52 PM »
2 pair of sox is the key... thin poly-propylene liner sock, over a thick all wool sock. We get -30's in canada here, and I wear this combo of socks for my 16 hr shift outside.

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2009, 03:59 PM »
I am not trying to a Wize azz but you must keep your core body warm first. Add a warm hat and gloves also.. And have your belly full to make heat and energy. An empty stomach will make you cold real fast.. John ;D
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Walkerd you may want to look at portable heaters if you fish in a portable or hardsided shanty. this in combination with your boots may solve your problem. I hope you find a solution to this problem.
  Steve

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:32 AM »
The mickey boots requires one's own heat to be reflected back.  That's what is bad about them, but they do work for what they're designed for. 

Run a heater and change footwear...Thick boots insulates from cold and external heat the same.  I bring a pair of simple cabin mocs and wear them.  Toasting my foot next to the heater, when I need to.  I only wear the heavy pac boots if I'm hole hopping outside.

There's always those battery operated socks.  Even a battery operated boots, from Columbia.  A tad too expensive for me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:38 AM »
I went to the baffin's 3 years ago and am so glad i did. they are simply the warmest boot i've ever owned.
those with a good sock I have been wearing the wigwam canada sock for about 20 years and it is awesome
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:45 AM »
I don't know if you fish in a portable or permie. In my portable I use an anti fatigue mat to keep my feet up off of the ice. I wear a first layer of polypropylene moisture wicking socks to keep my feet dry and then a heavier sock for warmth . If your feet are getting cold because they sweat, spray them with an antiperspirant spray before putting your socks on. I have seen electric socks that have a battery pack that you wear on your belt which would probably work for you. I have a pair that takes a 9v battery and the batteries don't last long. I also wear Arctic Cat snowmobile boots that are rated for 100 below. They are bulky, but warm. Anyway you look at it, keeping your feet warm can be expensive. I also usually don't put my heavy boots on until just before I go on the ice. Good luck in whatever you do. It would be hard for me to quit ice fishing because of cold feet.  :tipup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:55 AM »
My uncle had the same problem after his heart attacks,  Turns out his meds needed to be adjusted better.  Now no problem.  Tell your Dr. and if he won't listen get a second opinion.  Its worth checking out  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.