The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Camping on long lake?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Wize Wasp

• IceShanty Rookie
Camping on long lake?
« on: Jan 24, 2023, 09:23 PM »
Im fishing the derby for the first time and could use some help on where a good SAFE spot would be to camp over night on saturday night.  I will be with my son and it will be his first overnight fishing trip. Im hoping you seasond locals could point me in the right direction as i have never  fished the lake before. I hope to bring up the atv so we could explore the lake a bit if the ice is safe enough for it.  Is there a shallow area near a good launch point we could set up at?  Is there a beach area that we could setup at if the ice is not safe to stay on overnight?  My son has been super excited about this trip and also for the sebago derby as am I.  Im not opposed to stay at a local hotel for the night if we have to so any recomondations would be appreciated.   I have camped out on overnight ice fishing trips before so it is not my first time.  Im still in aw at how warm its been so far this winter.   

Thank you in advance for any info and good luck to all in the derby.   :tipup:

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Camping on long lake?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2023, 04:22 AM »
Not a local but I have a guy up there checking on the conditions as I am headed up for the derby also. There's a few previous posts here relating to conditions and I think the derby posted a bit about parking areas that will be plowed out on their Facebook page.
As far as ice safety, obviously it's not a normal year. Some areas froze pretty decent before they got pounded with 18 inches of snow, others only had 5 inches or so. Forecast another 12+ inches there for Thursday. I switched plans from side by side to my snowmobile for that reason.
Good luck and stay safe. Hope you and your boy get a winner!

Offline MooseBrook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:15 AM »
I haven't been on Long yet this year but I live in the area and have fished some other FRC lakes this season and I would not bother bringing an atv unless it has tracks on it. Reports I have heard were that Long is extremely slushy and with another 12-18" of snow coming tonight into tomorrow I doubt you would be able to get it on the ice.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2023, 11:07 AM »
im 10 min . from long. woke to 14in. of snow this morning  and still coming down as i speak. conditions on the lake before the storm were 5-6in. of ice 3-4in. of water then 2in of frozen slush. thats in the open parts of the lake. some coves have more. word is eagles the same. once people start punching holes its going to turn into a slush pit. only the best widetrack, longtrack  sleds will be able to get around but even then could still get stuck while pulling gear. if you plan to go anyway be prepared. i would camp on shore if youre staying overnight so you arent in water by morning. im not chancing it this year. good luck everyone and be safe.

Offline Wize Wasp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:23 PM »
Thank you or the latest info.   I was leaning towards not staying on ice.  Much appreciated. Good luck to all and stay safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.