Author Topic: Tip - Downs for perch  (Read 2639 times)

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
Tip - Downs for perch
« on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:12 AM »
Single or treble hook?   Hook the fathead in the mouth or in the back.  I plan to use 4 lb florocarbon...any opinions on this?  Gonna be warm enough this weekend for a change so I'm anxious to give my new tip-downs a try.

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip - Downs for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I hook everything in the back.  Think they sit more naturally in the water.  Use the smallest treble.  Not sure what size it is exactly maybe a 14.

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Sounds good .. thanks flyman...have seen some hook in the mouth so i was wondering...I always hook in the back for my walleye tip-ups.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:26 AM »
I do it all the time.  4 pound floro, real small trebele, small split shot about a foot and a half above it and a fat head minnow hooked in the back.  Works like a charm.  Make sure you have something to prevent the tip down from going down the hole if they start slamming you might loose one.....Have seen it a few times.  Hope this helps.  If so will be waiting to see pics.
;

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:37 AM »
I tried them out for a few hours on Loon before X-mas and had some success (about a dozen 8inchers) so I am now familiar with how to balance them and set them...just wasnt quite sure on the hardware to use or how the minnows should be hooked.  I am very impressed with the concept and excited at the chance to use them with the warm temps coming this weekend on a lake where I have a spot that produces bigger (12-15 inchers) ones.  Your tips are appreciated and with luck pics will be posted on Tuesday !!!

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:32 AM »
#6 gold aberdeen works fine with it inserted between the dorsal fin and spine to keep them alive. They will wiggle around all day. Good for perch and the ocasional walleye. Northerns grab them also. The light hook lets them swim around more, a treble is added weight.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.