The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Ice  (Read 40992 times)

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Boysen Ice
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:28 PM »
 Went by Boysen last night looked like the whole lake is capped. Anyone else got any reports?

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Boysen Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Every year just after the new year we make a trip to boysen and camp and fish for a week. love the time on the ice and the people we meet. Hope you all will keep us posted on where the fish are and how the ice is. last year we was told that the perch were in muddy and that sure was true. we would slam them just before dark every night.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline neversummer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Went by Boysen last night looked like the whole lake is capped. Anyone else got any reports?

The sisters have 2-3 inches of ice around them now.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 02:36 PM »
The sisters have 2-3 inches of ice around them now.
Thanks for the update.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I'll be there the night of the eigth. Whos going fishing with me on the 9th. dont be shy. Besides I need someone to guide me to the big ones. ;D

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline rottenice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:55 PM »
i'll be there this friday, where are the fish at????

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2008, 12:18 AM »
I went out yesterday and today and had no luck at all. The ice at Fremont is around 5 inches however it varied i little the thinnest we were on was four. Poison had at least a foot of ice. Just be careful of all the holes it looks like Swiss cheese out there. I got two bites and they were right off the bottom off of a jigging rapala and a minnow with the treble hook put behind the dorsal.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:25 AM »
Our crew will be there the 16th -19th.  Man it's gonna be a long month- :-[
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2008, 02:55 PM »
Stuffed into today's Casper Star Tribune newspaper issue is a copy of their magazine called the Wyoming Hunter and Angler. It contains several interesting articles, among them, ice fishing Boysen for wallys and perch, general articles on ling, Buffalo Bill Reservoir, goose/duck wingshooting and a bevy of others. Quick! Before yer Honey rec-cycles it!  :woot:
                                                                        LT
                                                                        Iceshanty Moderator  ;D :tipup:

Offline wyobrink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Long time wyoming resident but recent ice fishing convert (Hattie while at UW converted me).  Are there tournaments on Boysen during the winter? If so, when?  Looking forward to hitting it this year. Love fishing perch but never caught an ice fishing walleye or ling.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:28 PM »
Welcome to the Wyoming Iceshanty Wyobrink, there's a wealth of ice fishing intel on last years Boysen/Ocean posts on pages 10-11-12...or just sit back and the resident experts will chime in and answer your questions. Boysen thread (above) is last years tournament posts and pics. Well, I'll answer one question about ling, try North-South Muddy at Boysen, you can't help but catch them there about every time your bait hits anywhere near the bottom, good luck ice-fishing as well as keeping the ling off yer line  ;D
                                                                        LT
                                                                        Iceshanty Moderator  ;D

Offline dwilliams

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slammin' Slabs
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2008, 09:50 PM »
If there's no ice on Glendo Saturday I'm headed for Boysen.

Offline MaineWyofishslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Welcome to the Wyoming Iceshanty Wyobrink, there's a wealth of ice fishing intel on last years Boysen/Ocean posts on pages 10-11-12...or just sit back and the resident experts will chime in and answer your questions. Boysen thread (above) is last years tournament posts and pics. Well, I'll answer one question about ling, try North-South Muddy at Boysen, you can't help but catch them there about every time your bait hits anywhere near the bottom, good luck ice-fishing as well as keeping the ling off yer line  ;D
                                                                        LT
                                                                        Iceshanty Moderator  ;D

Lt how  big are the ling over there and what is the best set up for catching them there? i have fished for them in Maine before and they get pretty hefty over there. we use big shiners right off bottom on tip ups and get them while jiggin for lake trout too. just wondering if it is similar up there. looking to head up there the week after xmas to target walleye and ling. do you know where i can get a detailed map of Boysen also? thanks for your info!
Watch your top knot!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Fish em the same way, size varies 2-8 pounds and you can get the Boysen map at Rocky Mountain in Riverton.  :tipup:
                                                                     LT
                                                                     Iceshanty Moderator  ;D

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:22 PM »
If you want to target ling, you might want to fish ring lake up by dubois, we used to catch 10-15lb ling out of there when I was a kid.  Off the top of my head they do not allow live bait anymore  up there though (double check that),  But we used to catch some big ones out of there.  The biggest ling out of boysen that I have pulled out was about 5 lbs.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:24 PM »
thank you very much for the info. i am deff gonna look into that
Watch your top knot!

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2008, 01:34 AM »
last year on boysen i was averaging 2-3 pounds for ling. one day three of us got 50 easy
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2008, 01:41 AM »
whats the limit on them?
if you dont mind me askin. where at on the lake?

Watch your top knot!

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:55 AM »
whats the limit on them?
if you don't mind me askin. where at on the lake?

The limit is three, both limit and possession

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:30 AM »
whats the limit on them?
if you dont mind me askin. where at on the lake?
Anywhere on Muddy, north or south in 40-plus ft water... :tipup:
                                                                                 LT
                                                                                 Iceshanty Moderator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:45 AM »
thanks again Lt for the info
Watch your top knot!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Yer welcome, btw, take a look at the regs for the west side of the state, very high limit on slimers where they're trying to get rid of em.  ;D

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:48 PM »
checked ice in cottonwood about halfway out to otis islands it was 6-8 inches. its time...
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Hey all you lucky people that get to go fishing this weedend post some pics for those of us that cant. :)

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I'll Second that :icefish:

Offline rottenice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:53 AM »
fished 7 hours on fri, picked up 2 rainbow and 3 crappie. 1 crappie was a 2lb'r...very slow. there was a good 12 inches at poison ck. might have been the front pushing in or something. the fish were not aggressive at all. probably had 50 to 60 bites, but never lost a minnow. you could watch them on the vexilar come in and check out the bait, and as seen as you would give it a jig, they were out of there. i did'nt feel too bad, no one around us did worth a heck. we had 18 lines out and fished from 7ft out to 19. maybe next time!!

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:34 PM »
I was out yesterday and caught another 7 crappie. Kinda slow but nice fish none the less. Like others have said, they are finicky and not aggresively taking bait.  But catchable.

L8ters

the cator.

All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:42 PM »
I fished south of Tough Creek Thursday and Friday.   Action was very slow.  A few flags and lost minnows.  Did get one slimmer (21 inch rainbow :P)  Threw it back hoping for something to eat but no luck.  I only saw one other fisherman out there.  He was north of Tough Creek. 

There was 4-5 inches of very hard ice.  I drove my ATV on it.  Thursday night I decided to drive my pick up on it along the shore.  No trouble at all.  I had driven out on the shoreline but it was very rough with large rocks. I went on the ice to avoid tearing things up.

Walkers has minnows but they seem a bit small to me.  I had not been in his store before.  I was impressed with the inventory.  I picked up some nice walleye art calenders for Christmas gifts.  He also has ICE CASTLE towable ice shacks for rent.  I didn't look inside but they seemed to be good sized.  You pull them out with a pick up and then crank them down on the ice.  Drill your holes and fish in comfort.  I do have one question though.  Why does it have an air conditioning unit on top ??? ??? ????  The big ones rent for $140.00 a day. :o :o

Offline ryaninwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:29 PM »
Could it be used in the summer?
This Icefishing obsession i have never melts away....

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:19 PM »
I'm heading to boysen tuesday and wednesday anyone want to meet up? Gotta comission my new ice house, upgraded to the frabil predator.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.