The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hattie Ice  (Read 26384 times)

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Hattie Ice
« on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Anyone been out to hattie to check the ice. Was thinking I might try it out this weekend.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hattie Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Havent been out there yet iam guna fish it alot around christmas break let me know how the ice is and good luck.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:32 PM »
my college buddy says he once had a ten pound laker up to the hole there, but it got off.  i have always wondered what kind of size they get to there, as i wasn't as into fishing while i was in college in laramie.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:50 PM »
BD, I have fished hattie to many times to count and through the ice i have only caught 2 3lbers and 5yrs ago when the lake had alot more water my buddy Patrick Fleck caught a 12lber and shortly after Byron got a 15lber those are by far the biggest ones ive seen come out of there most are in the 3-5 range from what ive seen.  I got pics on my myspace dont know how exactly to post them on here they are already on my computer just have to upload them to the shanty.

Offline neversummer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:59 PM »
I been on hattie for the last four days in a row. My buddy and I have caught between 5-10 perch a day, going out around one and leaving when the sun goes down. Caught 10 perch (9-13in) and one Salmon(3lb) today. Fishing is slow. Ice is four inches for the first 75 yards off shore from the boat ramp side. Once you get past that it is 2 inches. Plenty thick to do some fishing but you can definately here it crack if you jump up and down to test it out.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2008, 06:17 AM »
I been on hattie for the last four days in a row. My buddy and I have caught between 5-10 perch a day, going out around one and leaving when the sun goes down. Caught 10 perch (9-13in) and one Salmon(3lb) today. Fishing is slow. Ice is four inches for the first 75 yards off shore from the boat ramp side. Once you get past that it is 2 inches. Plenty thick to do some fishing but you can definately here it crack if you jump up and down to test it out.
Thanks for the info summer if the weather will permitt i will be out this weekend. hope to see ya.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:27 PM »
Has anyone caught or even seen any lakers at hattie the rainbows are out in force with some perch and salmon but i am worried there are no more lake trout last at the tourney not a single one was entered all rainbow and salmon

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:37 PM »
interesting...  that sucks, but i wonder how it happened.

Offline neversummer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:10 PM »
Has anyone caught or even seen any lakers at hattie the rainbows are out in force with some perch and salmon but i am worried there are no more lake trout last at the tourney not a single one was entered all rainbow and salmon

Caught a laker out there not last winter but the winter before, big head, little body. I don't think he was feeding very well.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:51 PM »
i know the game and fish usually stocks them before the derby and to also help cut down on the kok spawning action not sure when the last time they did it though or how many they put in when they do it. I think the low water conditions also play a part in why not many are being caught or it might be the simple fact that when someone lands a laker they keep it for the freezer. Iam a big fan of C&R who knows that fish could be the state record someday ;D

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Yes catch and release at hattie is almost unheard of. Possibly though the lack of enough fresh water and no super deep water has not helped. But not to worry though the rainbows, and hopefully some browns, will be able to mature. Caught a really nice rainbow last year and lost a couple others, all at least six pounds. The ice arond the edges is not good but if you go out early before first light you can squeeze in a couple hours before it gets muddy. Go wyo.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2008, 02:23 PM »
Summer of 07 was the last time I saw pictures of lakers being caught, 8 to 9 lb range. As someone said, at the last derby no one won an hourly with a laker, all rainbow and cutthroats. Anyone doing the Hattie derby in a couple weeks. I'll be there!

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Yes, I will be attending the Lake Hattie Tourny, cant wait. Hopefully it stays nice and cold would like to do some scouting, but a little worried about the ice conditions. Will hopefully be out saturday poking holes. 

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Yea, I can't wait for the hattie derby.  Great time and hopefully the weather is close to what it was last year.  2007 derby was the windiest ever and 2008 derby had near non-existent wind.  2009 should turn out to be interesting.  Have any of you guys ever heard of anyone cheating during the derby?  I heard a few rumors last years, related to guys catching fish and saving them for the derby. 
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Went out to hattie today. About six in of ice. Fished from dawn till noon and only got one perch. Still it was the first ice for the year and it was good to be out with all the toys.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Went to Hattie today also no fish, got stuck >:( I More people fishing than expected. Any sign of the Lake trout. ??? This was always a good time for big lakers. Oh well maybe tomorrow.   

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:54 AM »
wyowing and gulp,

Where were you guys fishing.  We were out in a shanty on the east end.  We ended up with one nice rainbow and a couple perch.  Had to drill alot of holes to find the two perch. Did you guys see any rainbows crusing, we only saw one and he wasnt the least bit interested.  Definatly not a lot of fish moving around. Kind of wierd for hattie this time of year.  Maybe it was the front coming in.
Zack

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2008, 02:42 PM »
Zee I was in the blue trap just west of you. I did see you land the bow nice fish. Had a camera down and only seen to bows all morning. Like you they did not seem to care about the bait.Wyowind was fishing between you and I closer to the trucks. He said he had not found any fish neather. Have to get together for a shore lunch some time.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2008, 03:29 PM »
ok I know this is a bad picture but considering the weather conditions it is all i got. -22 below this morning. P.S. This fish is back in the water to fight another day.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Great picture Wyowind, very nice fish  ;D
                                                                      LT/Thee Mod  :laugh: :tipup:

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Nice bow how big was it

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Nice fish wyowind. Was you fishing the same place you were on sat.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Great fish wyowind! I also fished hattie this morning. I caught four salmon, two perch and two trout. I didn't catch anything that big.

While I was fooling with a salmon on one rod I had another nice bow come in and nail my other bait and ended up snapping me off. She looked to be around 20".

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Yes same as yesterday. I did not get exact numbers but he was about 27 inches and we guessed about five maybe six pounds. But other than one other small rainbow it was slow. Have you guys used the little Mr. Heaters. I have problems keeping it going the oxygen sensor goes off and you have to put it outside for awhile before it will work again. ???

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Wyowind, I think your right about the oxygen sensor. Somewhere on this site someone mentioned that those heaters were designed for lower elevations, thus they had a hard time keeping them going. I use a sunflower heater and turn it off and on just to keep the chill away. One day, when I used to smoke, I lit my lighter while the heater had been running for awhile, and the flame ignited off the end of the lighter about three inches. I've been carefull to have adequate ventilation since then.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:51 PM »
tumbleweed i notice you take pictures in your shanty, pretty brave. If could list all the things that have ended up down the hole you would probably think I was clumsy or something. But I fish with youngsters alot also. Is your camera tied off to you. I really like the shot of your fish in the hole, sweet. I am afraid to take much more than my cell phone out on the ice and i have even donated one of those to the deep.   

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Wyowind if I'm taking pictures by myself I put the strap around my neck, that way if I fumble I'm safe.

Offline Gooser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2008, 06:43 PM »
Man nice fish!  I spent the day dusting off all the gear/ getting new spark plug/ etc..  I guess i should've gotten out there.  I plan to hit it hard this week and next weekend... 

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:50 PM »
heck of a rainbow, wyowind!  congatulations - keep it up!

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:55 PM »
You all know about using a two way radio set to Chanel seven for talking to iceshanty fishing nuts out on the ice. I have to go south next weekend but look forward to talking to a few of you the next time i get out to hattie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.