The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wildlife Photo's  (Read 14456 times)

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wildlife Photo's
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:28 AM »
Hey BD did you shoot anything during bow season?

I hiked/ran about 100 miles in the ridges around the upper Green river chasing elk.  Finally got a good shot at a nice 6x6 and shot clean over his back like the amateur I am!!!  Only re-lived that shot about a thousand times!!!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #61 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:47 AM »
ha, it happens to us all, d!  my first year bowhunting i missed a nice buck, but didn't really practice enough or have my gear dialed, so that was to be expected, but the year before this last one, i worked my butt off to get everything just right for that opportunity, and, what do ya know, opening day, first ten minutes of the season, i run into a monster buck that had to have been pushing 200p&y...  little bit of a downhill shot, and my arrow went right over his vitals, buzzing the hair on the top of his back.  talk about a heart breaker.  this last season i pulled the trigger on a little tiny forked-horn...  don't really know what i was thinking, but put some meat in the freezer.

this year i should be able to put all my experience together to make it count.  you get out what you put in.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 15, 2008, 11:17 AM »
That seems to be what everyone says....still...AHH!

I practiced 5 days week all summer, and shot from various angles and positions, and was very confident in my shooting skills out to 40 yards.  However a big brown elk does not have a bullseye on it.  I have a rangefinder, but when the bull came over to me I had about 2 seconds to estimate distance and guessed he was 25 yards.  Through the peep sight all I could see was brown hair, I lost all perspective.  After I released, missed, and he ran off I paced the distance...12 paces! 

Hope there is a next time....

Offline BuzzH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Dorado,

Stick with it, there will be a next time.

I've been lucky to kill several elk with a bow in the last 20 years. I've blown some easy opportunities, its tough to hold things together sometimes.

I dont dwell too much on the missed opportunities, just glad to have them at all.

That said, I'm glad I held it together and have more than just another "missed opportunity story" on the bull I took this year in Wyoming with my bow:

Also happy to have my Dad and Brother there to share the experience:

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #64 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:46 PM »
you can't post a picture like that without telling us the stories, man.  public land?  is that the exit wound?  beautiful rack...  i'm guessin' about 355-365???  did you sneak in on it or call it in?  -congratulations-

Offline BuzzH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:24 PM »
BottomDweller,

Yes, it was public land and you know how to score elk pretty well. It officially gross scores 372 even and nets 358 5/8.

There is a good story. A buddy of mine that I was hunting with and I had an incredible week of hunting. We were able to film the bull I ended up killing 3 days before I took him. Its a great sequence of footage of him and a really big 6 point fighting. We also filmed him a couple more times with a bunch of cows. We called in a bunch of bulls in a week, many over 300. I missed a bull 2 days before I shot this one that would have likely scored in the 340 range, a big six point.

The day I got him, I was calling another big 6 point, but he had cows. I just continued to stay as close as I could and about 8:30 or so, the herd with the big six point starting moving to a bedding area. I knew I had no chance of catching that bull, so my Dad, Brother and I decided to just sit down for a while and make a plan for mid-morning. We no sooner than sat down when a bull bugled from behind us, where we'd come from. I saw him coming through the trees and knew it was a good bull. Luckily, he walked right to us, just like he was on a string. I let him get to 30 yards and shot him walking just before he winded us. My brother got the whole thing on video. I wasnt real happy with the shot and while I was watching the video to see the exact shot placement, I recognized the small 6th point and realized it was the bull we'd video taped 3 days earlier. I couldnt believe it.

Thats the entrance, but I lucked out and got the back of the on-side lung and dead center through the liver. He went about 90 yards, so the shot was OK even though I would have much preferred the shot to be about 6-8 inches further forward.

Theres no debate that I was just flat out lucky and in the right place at the right time.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #66 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:59 PM »
...Yes, it was public land and you know how to score elk pretty well. It officially gross scores 372 even and nets 358 5/8...

i have a little bit of a tendency to get bone fever and overestimate a big bull's rack so now i'm trying to be conservative by about 5 inches.  again, sweet bull.  have you got it mounted on the wall?  you should post pics of the mount if you do.

Offline BuzzH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:00 PM »
BottomDweller,

I dont have it mounted yet.

Heres a link to part of the video.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc68/mbhet/?action=view&current=elkvideo2007.flv

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #68 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:46 PM »
BottomDweller,

I dont have it mounted yet.

Heres a link to part of the video.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc68/mbhet/?action=view&current=elkvideo2007.flv

Great video! I bet you watch that all the time, atleast i would.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woot: :woot:

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Congratulations!  That is one nice bull.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Congrats on the Great Bull!

Check out these pics.

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/news/2008/02/AlbinoMoose.htm

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #71 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Nice photos everyone. 

Buzzh, Nice job on the elk.

Here is a bird that landed on my boat and hung around for a while.  We were offshore in Lake Ontario.

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Blackburnian Warbler

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #73 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Yup.  He was not affraid of us.  He walked around on my dash of my boat for 45 minutes eating spiders and knats.  I wish he would come back and keep the spiders down in the boat. 

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #74 on: Feb 17, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Wow what a bull man! Great job!!!!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I値l ice fish there too!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #75 on: Feb 17, 2008, 01:47 PM »
WOW Great pictures Guys! Walleye Wackin what a nice Ram! BD I like the picture of the Moose. Gambell Great shot of bird on the fishing rod.

BuzzH, Wow you are lucky man great bull, cool video, Neat story I have had that happen several times, you have a blown setup everybody sits around talking about what to do next and all of a sudden look what comes in I shot this bull just like what happened to you except I had two to choose from. Blackhills Wy.

Offline bacoj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 17, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Nice bull Big Ice!!!  What'd he score?  Here's a strange buck photographed in Rawlins last fall during the rut.

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #77 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:10 PM »
2006 rifle elk

2007 archery bull

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 17, 2008, 09:45 PM »
2007 Deer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #79 on: Feb 18, 2008, 01:30 AM »
well it looks like we're making this a bragging board...lol. I'll post pics of kills tomorrow after I go fishing!!!!
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:54 AM »
well it looks like we're making this a bragging board...lol. I'll post pics of kills tomorrow after I go fishing!!!!

I don't think it's a "Braggin Board" that was not my intent when I started this thread. One of the best ways to ruin a friendship is to start braging or trying to "One-Up'' your hunting or fishing buddy. I think its great to share each others photo's, dead or alive. Those elk stories and pic's sure get me wishin for Sept. Great photo's guys and keep em coming.

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:04 AM »
I think its great keep the photos coming. :woot: :woot:

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #82 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:34 AM »
I here ya buddy, just can't wait till September!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #83 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:22 AM »
     This just came in on an e-mail and I pasted it, enjoy, I think seeing the "unusual" is what's special and a glimpse of a true albino is a rare treat.  ;D

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #84 on: Feb 18, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Ok maybe I shouldn't have put it that way. I'm just sayin' we've got some hunting pictures comin' in now, and I'll add mine later.
Trent Williams

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #85 on: Feb 18, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I got these shots a few weeks ago after a good day of fishing on Half Moon Lake. Has anyone else got any photo's to share?

(Image removed from quote.)

IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/er-e-is/IMG_1818.jpg[/img]
AWSOME

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #86 on: Feb 18, 2008, 06:54 PM »

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Here's some huntin' pics I enjoy! All this year!

Me and only me on this trip and I succeeded

First bull elk!

First 4-point Deer!

Second archery kill (killed a doe antelope the day before) This one was so much more fun!

Scenery Shot

Lots of pics I know....but this was such an awesome year! Have more pics I could add but this sums it up!
Trent Williams

Offline ryguy337

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:41 PM »
  just a pic. of my Red Tail Hawk i traind 2 years ago, he has since been released. he was an awsome falconry bird!!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:52 PM »
That is so cool! Wish I could see one of them at work!
Trent Williams

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.