The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keyhole Fishing Info?  (Read 4144 times)

Offline ice_nut

• IceShanty Rookie
Keyhole Fishing Info?
« on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Weather permitting, I was planning on heading over to Keyhole next weekend. I plan on targeting walleye and crappie. I've never been there before, so any suggestions on where to try would be much appreciated.

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keyhole Fishing Info?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:42 PM »
I second that.

Buck1
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:08 PM »
I'm right there with you guys.  Heading up the over Valentines weekend targeting pike, walleye, crappie.  Can anyone provide any information on where to buy minnows up there?  And should I bother buying some steel leaders for the pike or A heavy enough test fireline, mono, or fluorocarbon line would do the trick?

Good fishin to you boys!

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Must be awful good if no one is willing to give any info! haha!
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2008, 05:56 PM »
I did pretty poor wast weekend. only about 15 crappie in 3 days. 3 of us were targeting walleye and only caught 1 15 incher. Bad weather might have been a factor.

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Hey hump. How was the water clarity where you were.  I heard that the pike won't hang around if the water is mercky or stained.  I'm itchin to get out there and catch me some.  Would be a first for me.  A few friends and I are going toward the inlet of the lake this weekend to try and wrangle some onto the ice.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:39 PM »
I didn't think it was very murky, It didn't stink like glendo water.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:51 AM »
hump is was good to meet you and your friend.. I did not go back out until late Sunday afternoon. The weather was brutal. I did make it out yesterday afternoon and had what i believe to be a huge Northern Pike on, had him or her on for quite awhile very big fish. Broke me off after a few runs. But you know how that goes the big one always gets away. :%$#!:

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:11 AM »
WARNING!   I would like to say this about Keyhole. I would not advise anyone to fish the Reservoir that does not no where they are going, and to travel in pairs. There is allot of heavy snow on the ice and slush under the snow a few times I have been going along with my wheeler which is a 500cc studded tires and it was all I could do to make it through. You just do not know where open water might be. I wanted to post this to forewarn ice fisherman. Be very careful! 

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:41 PM »
Big Ice, 
What would be your suggestion for a safe place to catch pike or walleye.  I was planning on making a trip to Gillette this weekend to visit my brother and nephew and get some fishing in.  I havent fished keyhole through the ice before.  If its anything like here in Laramie the ice is probibally getting a little sketchy in spots.  Any info would be appreacheated.

Thanks,

Buck1
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Big Ice, 
What would be your suggestion for a safe place to catch pike or walleye.  I was planning on making a trip to Gillette this weekend to visit my brother and nephew and get some fishing in.  I havent fished keyhole through the ice before.  If its anything like here in Laramie the ice is probibally getting a little sketchy in spots.  Any info would be appreacheated.

Thanks,

Buck1

Buck1,
         The ice is still plenty thick and tight to the edges, although I would stay away from the edges just to be on the safe side. With this warmer weather it should melt some of the snow on top and make it a little better to see what is going on. I would stay close to the Pinehaven boat ramp, the cliffs or maybe Pat's point.

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:35 AM »
WARNING!   I would like to say this about Keyhole. I would not advise anyone to fish the Reservoir that does not no where they are going, and to travel in pairs. There is allot of heavy snow on the ice and slush under the snow a few times I have been going along with my wheeler which is a 500cc studded tires and it was all I could do to make it through. You just do not know where open water might be. I wanted to post this to forewarn ice fisherman. Be very careful! 

Thanks for the Intel on Keyhole Big Ice.  I was debating on bringing the wheeler up this weekend, but was not sure how the conditions were.  I still might leave it at home just to be on the safe side.  How has the weather been up there?  Are you around the Gillette area?  We got about 4-6 inches of snow dumped on us last night.  I'm hoping the roads are not to bad on the way up.  What a bummer about that fish.  That almost wants to make a man cry when you know you got a pig on, and the thing pops off! :%$#!:  Can you fill me in on where a guy can get some 5-7 inch minnows around those parts? Or any other alternatives on bait for those pike?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Gatorslayer,
                If I were you I would bring your wheeler, just be careful where you go. Today's weather is cold, not much in the way of snow. The roads should be OK. This weekend sounds like it should be beautiful, warm and hopefully the wind does not blow to bad, there will probably be allot of melting snow on the lake.
                I don't no of anyone that has or sells big minnows. Good luck!

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:00 PM »
Thanks Big Ice!
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Thanks for everything BI. You're a great contributer to IS! :thumbsup: :bow: :clap:  Just one more question about minnows. Where can I get some?

Good fishing to you all!!!

Good luck to you BUCK1 :tipup:

Offline Ice Princess :-)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Hi there! That little Irish Pub, Dugan's (I think) in Pinehaven is supposed to have some minnows...just not sure if they're whoppers or not?! :-\

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Hey thanks Ice Princess. And welcome to the shanty! I see you got your first post! only gets better from here. ;D

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:46 PM »
The times I have gotten minnows over there everything has been small.  NOt many options for bait so you have to go with what they have.  Good luck!

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Hey Ice princess.  Are you who I think you are?  ;)2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Gatorslayer....maybe.. . ::) ???  Guess we'll have to see if I catch more fish this weekend! ;-) 

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:36 PM »
IT'S ON!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :icefish:

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:39 PM »
 :nono: I just called up to Dugan's and she said that they have a "mixture" big'uns and small ones?!  I could see how this website is ADDICTING!!!! 

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:55 PM »
You have no idea. :D These guys are awesome!

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:06 PM »
You guys think the ice will hold out till the 29th? I will be in Gillette again that weekend.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:18 PM »
We will report back on Tuesday when we get home from Keyhole about the ice.  Hopefully it will hold out that long! We'll TRY to save some fish for you, too  ;) :laugh:

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Hey Princess, I think I know who you are too. Were you camped at Boysen last weekend in the "Luxury suite" on wheels. Just talked to your buddy about Keyhole and I think that I am going to join you all on Sunday morning. Save me one (a fish and a beer).

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Hey, BSTIME!  Yep, that's me, Ice Princess in the luxury suite!!!  ;) You've got it...ONE fish, heck I'll even save you more than one beer!  :) Here's to lots of  :tipup:!!!!!!

Offline sportsman234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Hmmm first we had an IceBabe and now an IcePrincess??? Ex LT you at it again? :D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:56 PM »
hmmm... not sure who Ex LT is, but nope, I'm new to IS and am figuring out how addicting it can be! :o Well, off to Keyhole we go... Good luck to everyone this weekend!  Hopefully we will have some pics next week?!

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:41 PM »
 Im headed up to Gillette for sure this weekend.  Did anyone have any luck at keyhole this past weekend?  If so, what would be a good place to start out for walleye or pike?  Any help would be appreceated.

Buck1
"Fish on Brother!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.