The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Laramie Plains lakes  (Read 10711 times)

Offline fishwhisperer307

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Laramie Plains lakes
« Reply #60 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:53 AM »
ya ive seen some really big fish come out of there....about ten years ago me and my dad saw a huge brookie come out of there.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Here are a couple pics from Alsop on Thursday ;D

Get the kids fishing!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #62 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Who's fish you posing with Time!!???
-----

Nice fish brother
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I値l ice fish there too!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:24 PM »
I don't know he was this weird guy...

Thanks POk3s
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:02 PM »
How is the ice looking on the plains lakes after the last few warm days. Thinking about heading to alsop tomorrow.
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Alsop is holding at 5" in some places 7" in others but the ice is fine. I took my 4 yr old to get him his first fish he will remember through the ice. we got there about 3:30 and fished to 4:30. We had 6 or 7 bites and 4 fish on but my son just was to slow to the holes... I had a couple poles out as I was packing up and I told my son to watch them and stand by them he says ok and moves closer to them. I am about off the ice with my tackle bag and auger I turn around to see see the pole I had in the pole holder hop two times and pole holder and everything went upside down in the hole. I yelled to my son and he got the pole but the fish was gone ::) All in all a great outing!

Here he is looking for the fish that about took the pole and holder...

Get the kids fishing!!

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Haha. That is awesome. It reminds me of when my dad would take me fishing around that age. Pretty soon he will want to go with you everytime. Thanks for the ice report. Looks like i won't be able to get out till thursday now. I am excited for the first trip of the year.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Hello has any one been out to Hatti to see how thick the ice is out there ???

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:04 PM »
yeah it's under the hattie thread, 6-7 inches

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Made one of my hour trips to alsop tonight got 1 and missed 2 other bites. Ice is still holding up had 6" or so :tipup:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:12 PM »
I have been in laramie for work the last few days and have made it out to a few lakes after work.  Fished Alsop yesterday from 330 to 5 pm with no bumps, nibbles, or look-sees.  Went out to Gellatt today from 3 to 5 pm and lost one fish at the hole.  Ice was solid 5 to 7 inches at both lakes.  Couldn't find any water deeper than 6 foot at Gellatt, but it has been awhile since I've fished that lake.  Hopefully I can make it out to Hattie on Thursday if work allows me....
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Be carefull out at Gellatt.  I was out there earlier today as well.  There is an open spot across and to the west of the ramp.  I was about 20 feet from it and the ice was only 3-4".  I didn't get anything to pass though while I was out there, but it was also the middle of the day. 

Went out to Sodergreen and it looks like they drained it down to do some work on the outlet to the water treatment.  The edge was open the first 2 feet or so.  Looks pretty sketchy out on the ice as well.  Didn't look very good to me so I didn't even give it a try.

Been fishing Leazenby a few times.  A little slow out there, but the average is a lot better then last year.  It also has some sketchy spots along the dike.  My son fell into a shallow hole and got pretty wet Saturday morning.  It wasn't dangerous, but sure scared both of us.

Probably take a study break tomorrow and go somewhere.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #72 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:06 PM »
the open water spot at Gelatt is from the aeration system they have in place to help prevent winterkill at the lake since it is so shallow.  It usually stays open through the winter in that spot unless it is extremly cold for a period of time, but i could be wrong about that.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:21 PM »
That's what Tim told me last year when we fished it for part of a day. I think it was iced up at the time but I believe he said it never gets very thick there so BE CAREFUL. I'm sure he'll be on again shortly to confirm that.
Trent Williams

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:56 AM »
YEP your right POK and Baiter are right. It will freeze but it has to get a lot colder!
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline fishwhisperer307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:53 AM »
anyone fished meebor yet

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Going to fish alsop in the morning. Will be in a purple toyota truck if anyone wants to come say hello.

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Went to Alsop and fished for a few hours this morning. It was pretty slow. Only caught 2 fish but the first was 23 inches and the second was 19 inches. There were 3 other guys out there and I didn't see any of them catch a fish. The ice is good but couldn't fish too long because of the wind.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Anybody know if the ice has been holding up over the last couple days? Going to get out first thing in the am and don't want to go to Crystal or Granite if I don't have to...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:49 PM »
They are just a longer drive then you got to pay once you get there ::)
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:53 PM »
They are just a longer drive then you got to pay once you get there ::)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaa
Trent Williams

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:04 PM »
 Hattie is a little closer and it isn't uphill ::)
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #82 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:20 PM »
That's what I meant by "yaaaaa" moose lol.

Went out there to cook some burgers one time, had a game and fish officer come up and strike up a good conversation....He never even mentioned anything about the pass or lack there of. I took that as a hint
Trent Williams

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:20 PM »
I've bought an annual pass for the last 3 years, they only cost about 30 bucks, and 5 bucks for a second vehicle. Works at any state park including glendo. I get one for my car and truck so depending on the weather I'm covered. Happy to pay it too, they maintain the parks well, and there is a state park HQ up there, those are the guys that enforce the park, they have trucks with the appropriate logo. By the way they do have authority because they gave me a speeding ticket.
Let's see in 7 years I've caught less than 10 trout at hattie(between 13 and 22 inches) and probably 400 at granite(between 4-24 inches). I certainly see why people don't like the state park so I won't argue that one, but I've got my money's worth out of it. I've hiked from Crystal all the way up Granite dam, I've seen Moose, Elk, Deer, a weasel, coyotes. I've caught bows, cutts, browns, brookies, perch, suckers, a laker, grayling, and splake. I've ice fished up there before thanksgiving, I guess my point is I think the park as a whole(not just a given lake) has a lot to offer as an outdoor experience which is more important to me than only chasing stud trout(which has it's place also). Okay I'll stop ranting now, thanks.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:56 PM »
ok ok headed to granite be up there before daylight...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Good luck Taz, I didn't mean to change your mind on where to go. I was just sharing my experience.

Offline fishwhisperer307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:31 PM »
100% agree with you 327. atleast at the park you catch fish consistently and have a decent chance of pulling a nice fish out . at the plains lakes its either 18"+ or nothing and you almost never catch more than 3 or four fish. and the fishing on the plains lakes has changed quite a bit in the last few years. their coming back but 5+ years ago all the lakes were still producing not just gelat and alsop. im young but meebor twin buttes wheatland 3 and diamond were all great fisheries and now you will be lucky to catch a fish out of them.sorry about the rant lol

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #87 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:54 PM »
I just had no idea about the fee. Wanted to ice fish somewhere when I was over that way and was tired of the plains lakes and wanted to get a grayling or something I had never got. When I got to the place I grabbed a slip and grabbed a pencil...broken...grab bed another one...broken...grabbed the last one broken. Then i got my money out and drove to the lake and never eve saw the place to put the money in...guess i'm just an idiot. Then the next time I went over there I was there for 15 min just to cook some burgers and get away from classes.
Trent Williams

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Crazy4ice and i are going to hattie in the morning. hope we catch something, i will report later and merry xmas everyone.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline fishwhisperer307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:44 PM »
any1 doin good at these stupid lakes haha been focusing on the curt gowdy lakes , i was wondering if the plains lakes would even be worth going to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.