The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crystal/Granite/North Crow  (Read 11639 times)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crystal/Granite/North Crow
« on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Any one been up there lately, planning on going to granite Saturday to check out all the gear.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Crystal/Granite/North Crow
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:03 PM »
I down in colorado is 6in you should be good at any of the lakes here. If you go to crow I would like to know how you did.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:58 PM »
ABSARAKA HAS 5-8INCHES ON IT SO I WOULD GUESS ITS GOTA BE GOOD ICE

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:09 PM »
I fished the inlet of granite two weeks ago on about 5" the rest of the lake was still open then but I'm sure all three are good to go now.  We caught a bunch of little bows and cutts and two little browns.
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline crazy4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:14 AM »
I fished the inlet of granite two weeks ago on about 5" the rest of the lake was still open then but I'm sure all three are good to go now.  We caught a bunch of little bows and cutts and two little browns.
i was at the river inlet and it had 8 inchs the main lake had 4 inchs fishing us good.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2009, 04:07 PM »
fished north crow this morning. Good bite on meal worms, the usual stockers and one decent splake, something with some size to it broke my wife off. 6-8" of black ice.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Fished Granite a few hours last week.  The ice was about 5" on the reservoir.  (Where I checked anyways).  

I spent a lot of time fishing Granite last year looking for a reliable perch bite.  Caught 5 perch total in probably three times as many outings.  One keeper.  Other than that, from my limited experience... Granite is over run by tiny trout.  Stockers?  Seemed like you couldn't drop down without getting one.  Fished for an hour or two and didn't even get a nibble.  (Strange - but I almost prefer not being bothered by those little buggers).

What's the deal with Granite and Crystal perch?  I've seen pictures of loads of nice perch coming out of hattie, granted they were all 2-5 years old.  But I have never seen pictures or heard of good perch fishing at these two lakes(Granite/Crystal).  Has it ever been decent perch fishing?  
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Just to add:  When I  was there, the G&F rolled up and started stocking something through the ice... I know in Utah the G&F keeps a website that updates what is stocked where and when.  Does Wyoming do this?

And a side note:  In most, not all, of the lakes I've fished at that are good perch fisheries.  There is a good amount of structure.  Weeds, big rocks, brush, ect in the water.  And in drought years, when the lake level dives and all the structure is gone...  the perch fishing crashes. 

Maybe we should throw our Christmas tree's to the bottom of hattie/granite:)
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Has anyone been out to Granite lately? Planning on a Monday trip with the family.

Offline crazy4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:49 PM »
went to granite for couple hours and caught about 5 fish nothing forth talking but had way better action than hatti

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2009, 09:16 PM »

this is the splake I caught at north crow a few weeks ago

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:53 PM »
I went up to Crystal this afternoon and fished for two hours, caught three rainbows. Ice was real good at 14 inches near the inlet area, thanks to all this cold weather. This was my first time ice fishing crystal so I can't complain.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:08 AM »
glad to see some fish being caught.  Im stoked to get out at north crow and crystal.  Cheers,Chris

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Hit Granite for a few hours, drilled a bunch of holes. Found some fish including a big one but all I caught were two average rainbows. Watching them on the camera, they just wouldn't commit to hitting anything. Only saw trout, no perch.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:56 PM »
how thick was the ice??

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:34 PM »
Thanks for the info 327.

A camera is a very nice tool - Bet if they are in there that is easiest way to find them
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Sorry, Ice is around 16 inches on the lake and 20 plus on the inlet. Yes a camera is helpful but very frustrating when they won't hit.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:42 PM »
got out to N.Crow this morning and fished for about 4 hrs.  Within about 20 min of setting up my tip ups i landed a nicely colored bow of about 14" (on a nightcrawler)  then that was it for the next 3.5hrs.  Tried deep and right off shore.  Slow, but so nice to be out on the hardwater!  Fishing Alcova in the morning.  Cheers,Chris

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:09 PM »
got out to N.Crow this morning and fished for about 4 hrs.  Within about 20 min of setting up my tip ups i landed a nicely colored bow of about 14" (on a nightcrawler)  then that was it for the next 3.5hrs.  Tried deep and right off shore.  Slow, but so nice to be out on the hardwater!  Fishing Alcova in the morning.  Cheers,Chris

Sweet! So you picking me up on your way through Laramie :whistle:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:29 PM »
ive got a week off in Feb and thought id come pick you up to fish one of your spots over there.. :tipup:

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:35 PM »
ive got a week off in Feb and thought id come pick you up to fish one of your spots over there.. :tipup:

I was just kidding I got my four year old's b-day tomorrow and home work all weekend...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Fished Crystal yesterday afternoon, started out in 15 fow and didn't see anything so I moved out deep and caught a rainbow, a cutbow, and a brown. Ice is still between 13 and 18 inches but watch the edges.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:32 PM »
fished another spot at N. Crow today for about 3 hrs.  Missed one on the jigging rod and had one flag (night crawler) but caught nada.  My first 3 holes (new lazer strike 7" hand auger) cut through the 20" ice like butter for the first 3 holes (it has maybe cut 25 holes since i bought it) but when i tried to move around as i was figuring out the depth, it would no longer cut.  It just skipped on top of the ice scratching it.  Both blades are intact, and appear fine, just dulled a lot i guess.  Stoked to fish Leazenby tomorrow.  Cheers,Chris

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Yeah they dull pretty fast.  I sharpen mine every trip and when it is really thick I even sharpen them on the ice after a few holes.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:18 PM »
moose, did you just buy one of those hand held sharpeners by strikemaster or do you use something else?  Ordered a spare set of blades last night, so at least i can have 2.  Cheers,Chris

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:12 AM »
I sharpen them myself.  Use a variety of different tools too.

I'll show you how I do it sometime.  Simple and easy.  They work pretty darn well after too.

The key is to leave the side that is touching the ice un-touched.  Kinda hard to explain.  I'll post some pics maybe.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:27 AM »
cb I would send those in they are SPANKED!!!
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Heading out to N. Crow in a few minutes in the event anyone else plans on going out in the snow.  I drive a white suburban and will have one of my black labs with me, so say hi if you come out!!  By the way moose, and fishaholicz.....Called strikemaster and told them about my blades.  When i took them off i noticed they were the cheap Chinese ones and Strikemaster immediately mailed me a new set (Swedish)  Ill report back later.  Cheers,Chris

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Spent about 2.5 hrs out there and caught nada.  Ive been fishing this sweet looking set of cliffs and im surprised that in two trips to the same area, nothing.  Going back out in the morning and going to spend 4-5 hrs out there hoping to figure it out.  I think ill go back to my orignial spot and see how it goes.  Cheers,Chris

ps. ice is very thick

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Tim, thanks for the tips, i appreciate it.  Ill let you know how it goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.