The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: LARAMIE PLAINS LAKES  (Read 31119 times)

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
Re: LARAMIE PLAINS LAKES
« Reply #60 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Thanks for the report TheIceman1.

Did your group catch anything else besides the salmon?

I've never caught any out of hattie, but i've read from a few posts that they usually bite a few feet below the ice.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Moose most of the landlocked salmon are more prone to suspend and be caught in the higher water columns....
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:26 PM »
My son and I went ice fishing last Friday (18 Dec) and there was 9 to 10 inches of ice on Lake Hattie. Fishing was not so great, but no wind that day and had a good time. Son caught a nice Kokanee Salmon. Only one for the day. The weather has been cold enough at night that the ice is getting thicker. Good luck fishing. Might see ya this Friday.

TheIceMan1.  I think that I talked to you and your son if you were out there in 35' of water.  Your son had just caught the koke 10 minutes earlier.  I told you about the huge bow that I released.  Looks like WyoWind caught it the next day - my rod measured it at 27" - same as his.  We were the two guys that went shallow from you and caught the bow, a 6" koke, and a koke like yours.  Nice meeting you - yeah, that lake is slow - only 3 bites in 5 hours between us two.

On the perch numbers, I will speculate, too.  I don't think all the perch were eaten up by big bows - big bows and browns have always been there.  And, the numbers are currently down from the last 10 years in my opinion.  I don't think the harvest was excessive either - although many were taken.  I speculate that the water quality and lack of spawning areas for perch has caused a crash in the numbers.  They will cycle back if water returns - not sure it will though.

s

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 24, 2009, 03:35 PM »
Hey Shoe, I agree with you the perch numbers have been declining the last couple of years. Mordax and I fished areas  that have been previously successful in past years. The biggest difference that I can see this year is a lack of vegetation. I don't know if this trend is consistent throughout the lake, but it certainly is in the holes that I punched. I think the combination of low water and lack of vegetation has effected both spawning and the ability for the perch to hide. I'd be curious to hear what other people are seeing from different areas of the lake.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #64 on: Dec 24, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Hattie report,

Fished till sundown where we had some luck with the perch. Got bites and vex marks but nothing iced. As for speculation on the perch population with new water coming in and hopefully the weeds coming back the population will roar back. In MN on millacs they had two year of high water which opened up new spawning areas for the perch. The population of young perch is phenomenal to the point of annoying.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Just want to thank everyone for sharing their opinions and reports.  Knowledge is key.

The first year I fished hattie (last year), I noticed more vegetation and weeds.  This year I haven't found anything similar. 

There are probably numerous contributing factors to the perch cycles.  I fish Utah frequently in the summer and I've seen lakes down there be insanely good for perch one year and then horrible the next.  But if I could pin point one factor that seems to hold true in every water I've seen the perch boom and bust cycle - it is low water.  Perch need cover and structure for good spawns.  Don't throw away your christmas trees! Throw them in the bottom of hattie with a weight attached ;D

Trogdor: Did you catch any perch out of hattie? or has anyone caught any out of hattie this year?  Even just one? lol. 

Would also be interested in hearing if granite / crystal perch fishing is any good this year. 
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #66 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:04 PM »
Moosejuice,

We got some last saturday. Only 6 but all very nice keepers with the biggest 13.5" All were hanging out at 20ft plus or minus a foot.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 25, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Hello everyone. Wow, lake Hattie has been one tough fish this year and most years. Big Must and I went out Christmas eve and froze our behinds off. The problem with hattie right now is the big bows are gorging themselves on anything and everything. The lakers and browns went with the water levels they both need deep cool water to survive the summer months. That is when the perch population exploded. What has happened to the large schools of salmon i dont know, but usually this time of year they were so thick you couldnt see bottom. There will be no catch and release for me on these bows this year!! Unless we thin them out and try help with the balance they are going to start feeding on each other. Praying maybe the g&f will restock now that the water levels are back up, some lakers and browns would be nice and let the lake sort itself out on its own. Just a thought.

P.S. No more fish caught, one phone down the hole. ???

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #68 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:52 AM »
wyowind,
 Bummer on the phone down the hole. I remember once there was a post on things that have gone down the hole. For me I kicked a single burner Coleman stove lit down a hole, my boots were to big. another time I threw a dipping spoon to one of my buddies 20yds away and yep down a hole whats the chances! 

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Heh, tumbleweed.  How are you doing?  We fished the SW side of the east lake - not a blade of grass or weed or anything.  It looked a little sandy when we got to shallower water and could see the bottom.  In past years with perch, I fished the SE side of the east lake - lots of hydrilla-like weeds.  I will have to check my old GPS coordinates to see if there are still weeds there.  Probably 30' deep now where it was 20' before.  I see someone found some perch this year - would like to know where on the lake.  Wyowind - that was a really nice fish - congrats.  The last big bow that I kept - from a nearby lake - tasted very tough but I hope yours was tasty. 

That 6" koke indicates to me that the G&F has done some stocking lately.  The bows could be chowing on those, too.

Fish on guys...

s

Offline sandauger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I've been lurking for a while, but I'll go ahead and add my two cents.

I think it would be very premature to start blaming the big rainbows for any of the problems at hattie.  Dare I say that it would be nice to see some mgmt that would favor the continued protection of big rainbows (maybe by a slot limit that would allow keeping of eating sized fish along with an occasional trophy). 

I would be curious to know what you've seen in the bellies of the rainbows.  I have not seen anything that would suggest that the rainbows are being hard on the other fish.  On the other hand, back when lakers were first stocked, I cleaned a 2.5lb laker that had gorged on 11 (yes eleven!!!) recently stocked rainbows.  I asked a G&F employee about the lakers and they said they were stocked to help control the perch population.  Good job!!!  I think that browns (pick a variety) are a better long term choice because I feel that they have a less adverse on non-target prey -- I've seen browns hot on the tails of a perch that I've been reeling up the hole so they would do fine controlling perch with appropriate management.

I would suggest that Hattie is finally back to a point for fish size (at least for rainbows) that has not been seen in many years.  I realize part of this is perhaps because greenies have not been able to launch boats.  Now, the G&F needs to follow up with a healthy stocking.  I would be curious to know the stocking numbers -- I would guess they have been overly low due to fears about low water, but with low waters everywhere, fishing pressure on hattie has been even worse.

On the browns & lakers: I doubt that the temps in Hattie have adversely affected the brown population.  In fact, the browns generally select the deeper waters in the winter in order to stay within the warmest available water.  The problem with the laker population is likely due to the fact that they are so stupid/aggressive and they were in smaller numbers to start with that they got themselves caught out of the lake.  Good riddance.  I really hope that they NEVER stock lakers in hattie again, and that hattie can return to the hattie of old (pre-90's). 

Pray for water.  Back in the mid-80's, a person could fish off the bluffs -- that was a lake!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:30 PM »
My dad and I braved the weather at Leazenby today for an hour and a half. Caught one 14 inch rainbow and the ice was over a foot thick. Stay warm boys!

Offline crazy4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:47 PM »
i dont think they're any fish in hatti, fished it and nothing.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:15 PM »
 Thanks everyone!!! Sandauger it sounds like you have an extensive, and vauleable, knowledge of lake Hattie. Your probably right about the lakers but man they were fun to catch. It sounds like the state or whoever is planning on putting even more water in Hattie this spring. I only hope the best for the lake and by the sound of it I really like your theroy and if it is a recipe for big fish I am with you thanks for sharing man.
 Cargo we should not go to the down the hole stuff but here is a short list fishing pole, two phones, two mag lites, glasses, spud bar and finally some really big fish. ;D

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:39 PM »
fished Leazeby for a few hours today with my brother and we iced around 10 fish 1 at 20 " rest were 14-15". Had a lot of bites but they were super soft and short...

bad picture I will post a better one when my brother gets home...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:03 PM »
Here is a better picture of yesterdays stringer.

Get the kids fishing!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Real nice bo's from that little pond.   I have driven by Leazenby about 500 times in my life but only fished it once. In spring in 40 mph winds. Never got a bite- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline dahuletts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Nice.  That 20 incher had to be about the biggest one in there.  My bro and I use to hammer that place years ago.  The last time I was there was winter in (maybe) 1988, everywhere we drilled we came up with dirt.
Fried eggs, hash browns, and a cup of joe.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Nice.  That 20 incher had to be about the biggest one in there.  My bro and I use to hammer that place years ago.  The last time I was there was winter in (maybe) 1988, everywhere we drilled we came up with dirt.

All the Plains lakes produce fat healthy fish there is tons of food for them. My son's 6.9 lber came from a smaller lake then Leazenby..... I have heard of a 12 lber and lots of fives coming out of Leazenby last year...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline dahuletts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:02 PM »
All the Plains lakes produce fat healthy fish there is tons of food for them. My son's 6.9 lber came from a smaller lake then Leazenby..... I have heard of a 12 lber and lots of fives coming out of Leazenby last year...

Sweet.  I knew Hattie and Meeboer did great, and Twin Buttes to some extent.
Fried eggs, hash browns, and a cup of joe.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Twin Buttes was not stocked this year but BIG browns can be found in there :icefish:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:53 PM »
Hey has anyone fished Hattie recently I fished it two days before the derby and caught a nice fish. Then also fished it for the 2010 derby and saw a lot of fish but no bit. I have pic's of the fish I caught before the derby and I do not Know how to upload them?

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 17, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I was just goint to post this either on a new topic or find this topic and bump it back to the top. I'm heading out tomorrow to give it a try. Will be the first time I've tried any of these lakes so I'm looking for any kind of tips/tactics anyone can muster up. Is Hattie fishing better then Leanzby (or however it's spelled). I'm heading out in the morning with one of my buddies. We always fish the Gorge so I assume the tactics can't be much different, but as far as the depth of the lake and structure how is each one???? Never seen either lake so I'm just trying to narrow down which one to go to and how to fish it (sorry if I seem pushy). Never caught a perch but from what I just read, nobody's catching perch so I won't waste my time trying to figure them out on this trip LOL. Thanks for any responses.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Perch will be very close to the bottom.  So it might be worth trying for them while you are waiting for a rainbow to come by ;D
(They'll take any small jig / spoon with bait, they are usually not very picky - the hard part is finding them). 

As for the bows - well I've only hooked one at Hattie in 5-6 trips now. (She sure was a hog though, broke off >:(). So my advice probably should be taken with a grain of salt.  I hooked mine in about 10' of water on a glow genz bug / meal worm, about 5' off the bottom.

You'll def catch more at leazenby but I think the chance of a monster is always more alluring, I'd go to hattie. 

Let us know how you do, good luck.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Went over to Sodergreen and caught a bunch of tiny bows. and i mean TINY....biggest fish was maybe 12 inches. Going to go to either Lenzenby or Hattie Wednesday after class probably. I only have one and it gets done at 11. Trying to figure all these plains lakes out. Is there perch in any other lake around here besides Hattie...I'd really like to catch a mess of 'em. If not I'll just try for some pig bows.
Trent Williams

Offline TN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:25 PM »
POk3s - see my post about GREAT fishing ending in Cheyenne - go fish Sloan Lake before the water's all gone and the fish are dead.  There's probably a few more days left.  Between my son, daughter and I, we caught close to 200 last Sat & Sun about 3 hrs each day mid-afternoon, constant bite.  Gave a bunch away and filleted for a LONG time!

Fishaholictaz said something about contamination in Sloan, not sure what to make of it.  It's a swimming lake in the summer and the fish smell and taste good.  Can't say that for anything coming out of Hattie with the years of low water and alkalinity and selenium buildup.  I used to fish Hattie A LOT 30 years ago when it was close to full.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Ya I saw your post already and thought about going but dont know if I wanna be fishing in a bowl LOL. If I can make it out wednesday I'll keep it in consideration. Is there any other lakes around there with that kind of perch fishing...or even anything remotely close to that???
Trent Williams

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Perch are in Granite and Crystal as well.  Or are they? ??? ??? ???
Caught 4 total, never really consistent action.  

They are catching some decent perch at glendo. 20-40' I think.

Hattie perch? good luck.

"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline TN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Ya I saw your post already and thought about going but dont know if I wanna be fishing in a bowl LOL. If I can make it out wednesday I'll keep it in consideration. Is there any other lakes around there with that kind of perch fishing...or even anything remotely close to that???

Not that I'm aware of.  In fact, even in the Hattie hey-day, 30 big perch was a good day for me, and 100-fish days came when the perch got stunted and you never saw one bigger than 5-6".  Perch found their way into the Buttes through Pioneer Ditch and had a cycle there too, many years ago.  Absarraca has had a lot of fisherman on it, but heard it's been slow and most of the fish were small.  Sloan will be well-worth your while.  Don't let the dish put you off.  This is one time to fill your bucket with fish.  I walked over to where the suction pipe drops into the lake.  Deepest water was about 100 feet west of the pipe drop.  I dropped a line through a melt hole.  Still the best fishing was about a hundred yards off the boat docks.  Might be too shallow there by mid-week if they're still pumping like on the weekend.  Would love to hear they shut'er down.  Ice was still clear, 14-16".  Very slushy on Absarraca and the shoreline ice was disappearing.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Alright thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to get over there Wednesday...you're really startin to talk me into fishin this BOWL hahaha.
Trent Williams

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.