The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glendo  (Read 54193 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Re: Glendo
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Do they have 4"-6" shiners/suckers?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Do they have 4"-6" shiners/suckers?

No. No 4-6 in suckers. They are smaller from what i can remember.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:58 PM »

No. No 4-6 in suckers. They are smaller from what i can remember.

That's too bad....You'd be suprised at how big of a bait walleye will take.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:48 PM »
The earliest I have fished Glendo is January 1, I hope this December stays cold.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:35 AM »
The earliest I have fished Glendo is January 1, I hope this December stays cold.

There was really good ice before Christmas last year, and that was really the best fishing of the season. I'd bet this cold snap we are having right now puts good fishable ice on Glendo. I'll be going by there next week and I'll let you know. I plan on fishing it the week of the 14th anyway.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:43 AM »
thanks for the info.  Is there any maps which label different bays, points or other spots of interest?

Walking a quarter mile is nothing.  I started working out to drop some excess baggage and I was walking 5.5 miles a day at a brisk pace.  Now I am biking at the gym and doing weights.

Since you live in Douglas I'd suggest scouting it out a bit, pretty close drive for you. If you keep moving and drilling holes, you'll find a good spot. Another good way to fish it is to put in by the marina and walk across north to the point. If you fish the dam side of that big point you'll find a place in there that is one of the better spots. That spot is good year 'round. I always plan to be fishing in the evening and quit after sundown/dark or at sun up in the AM. Of the lakes I fish, the Glendo bite seems to be the most dependent on evening/morning.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Since you live in Douglas I'd suggest scouting it out a bit, pretty close drive for you. If you keep moving and drilling holes, you'll find a good spot. Another good way to fish it is to put in by the marina and walk across north to the point. If you fish the dam side of that big point you'll find a place in there that is one of the better spots. That spot is good year 'round. I always plan to be fishing in the evening and quit after sundown/dark or at sun up in the AM. Of the lakes I fish, the Glendo bite seems to be the most dependent on evening/morning.

Thats the plans for me and the wife.  we can spend a bunch of time there.

As for a ice check we drove by a couple days ago.  The real shallow water in the Elk Horn area was skimmed over.  Nothing any place else.   Were planning on going to Cheyenne Saturday so it will obviously require a trip through the state park. 
Don

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Question:
I was on Glendo twice this fall, the water was down quite a ways and I guess has since come up quite a bit. Is it legal when icefishing or otherwise to drive my pickup (or quad) down the sandy bank near the boat ramp at the Bennett Hill access? Or do I have to unload my gear at the boat ramp and drag it to wherever I want to fish?

I saw a bunch of quad riders this fall driving all over the banks.
The only reason I ask is because on Fort Peck Reservior (my home lake) it is illegal to do any "off-road travel. The only way you can access the ice is if a pre-existing trail is present. Even if the ground is frozen hard, you still will be ticketed from FWP for offroad travel if you don't use the boatramps or camping access roads.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Question:
I was on Glendo twice this fall, the water was down quite a ways and I guess has since come up quite a bit. Is it legal when icefishing or otherwise to drive my pickup (or quad) down the sandy bank near the boat ramp at the Bennett Hill access? Or do I have to unload my gear at the boat ramp and drag it to wherever I want to fish?

I saw a bunch of quad riders this fall driving all over the banks.
The only reason I ask is because on Fort Peck Reservior (my home lake) it is illegal to do any "off-road travel. The only way you can access the ice is if a pre-existing trail is present. Even if the ground is frozen hard, you still will be ticketed from FWP for offroad travel if you don't use the boatramps or camping access roads.

I don't want to steer you wrong but people drive down to the water's edge around Glendo year 'round. I sure would over by Bennett. The water has come up quite a bit, BTW. It's up about 18' from the fall low.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2009, 05:18 PM »
I really think it has to do with the personality of the ranger, I got a ticket actually two, off road and no parking at Keyhole a few years ago, but have never even been harassed at Glendo. I think the off road thing is BS anyway when the ground is frozen.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I tried to search this a little and found that there is a rule that you can not drive on the beach at Sandy Beach.  I didn't find a clear answer about driving to the water's edge at other places.

With this cold weather, I'm betting (hoping) we have some fishable ice by the end of next week.  I doubt we will be crossing to the mountain for a while yet.

Keith

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:34 PM »
I looked on my map and could not find anything about the mountain.  I am guessing it is something that not on the map?

Does the Marina charge to park there during the winter months?
Don

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:55 PM »
The mountain is the "mountain" across from Reno ramp.  The only to get there is to cross the lake.

I think you can park in the marina parking lot for free.  I'm sure you can't park on the ramp, ever.

Keith

Offline eyeaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Slab Stalker 307
« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Some people call it hytrek point you can cross the Reno boat launch to get there it is the biggest hillside on the lake.
Great thing about ice fishing is, if the fish don't bite at least you know the "BEER" will stay cold!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:26 PM »
I was bored so I went for a drive today.

Around the docks at the marina it is open but the tiny cove by the boat launch it has ice forming but has been broken up from the strong winds outside.

At the other end of Glendo by Elk horn is has a good amount of ice out there.  I did not walk on it or even close.  I snapped a few pics and will post them in a bit. 

When I went into Douglas today the platte had alot of floating ice in the flowing water. 

It's coming!  :D
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Thanks for the pics.  Won't be long now.

Keith

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:18 PM »
You're not kidding!! 7pm and 7 degrees outside!!  Not supposed to get out of the twenties tomorrow. Great ice making weather if it holds. Seems to take only one warm windy day to ruin many days of good ice making. Lets hope for the best over the next month or two.
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:24 PM »
I will be back there on saturday to take a peek and see what happend over the next 48 hours.  it's already 3° here.
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:18 PM »
how horrible, this fell to page two....

Update.  Drove through Glendo state park today.

looked all frozen past Bennet hill, and just some past Waters point.  on the damn side of waters point there was some open spots and just towards the narrows it opens up.  There is about 10 feet or so of ice on the Mountain side of the narrows and about half of Reno cove was iced over.  it looked like from the Narrows to the dam was all open except in the small coves there was ice.

I got pictures I might or might not get to post up today. 
Don

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:33 AM »
weather.com says it is -25 w/ no wind right now, that oughta make some good clear ice.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:59 AM »
dropped to -24 here, if that can't make ice, nothing will.  :D
Don

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:24 AM »
jopes

Thanks much for the pics and reports.  How much snow do you have?  I might try for a Friday excursion to check it out.

Thanks again.

Keith

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:30 AM »
I am guessing we got about 6" on the ground.  my Truck is giving me fits right now so I gotta get out there to work on it.  beleive I got a short in the harness going to the starter. 

I don't really have any of my gear yet, but if the truck doesn't need a starter I might be going to pick it all up after I return the starter.  How ever my auger is still not here yet.  probably will not see that till next week.  :(
Don

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:10 AM »
I am guessing we got about 6" on the ground.  my Truck is giving me fits right now so I gotta get out there to work on it.  beleive I got a short in the harness going to the starter. 

I don't really have any of my gear yet, but if the truck doesn't need a starter I might be going to pick it all up after I return the starter.  How ever my auger is still not here yet.  probably will not see that till next week.  :(

Jopes, I plan on fishing Glendo on Tues or Wed of next week depending on weather. You're welcome to share my auger then. Keith, let us know how the ice is if you make it over there friday.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2009, 12:00 PM »
Well I just dumped $200 on the truck, it needed a new starter.  I think I will take you up on that offer Augergas.  

I will have to see if I can find the money to pick up the flipover and poles by then.  

I am in need for some hard water action.

Don

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:06 PM »
jopes,

Sometimes "less is more".  At times we have dragged so much stuff onto the ice, that is gets hard to pull it back off.  A rod, bucket, and a few lures will get you started.  You can join my group on Friday if you like. We usually don't take the hut, we move hole to hole too much.  If you have good clothes, the cold can't get through.  If you fish in the wind, then you need a hut, if the wind doesn't blow it away.

The "less is more" statement refers to when we took a BUNCH of stuff down the hill at the dam and struggled to get it back up the hill.

Keith

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:22 PM »
I am all for the less is more attitude.  I usually move around a bunch, but I got no poles yet.  they are on the layaway with the flip over.  Been so long I got rid of most of my ice gear, so it's stock up time.

Wifey wants to get out of the house so we might make a drive down there just to get out. 
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:16 PM »
just got back from checking it out again.  it's nearly all frozen.  but has a few open spots.  

1st one is if you were to walk down the boat ramp at the marina past the docks just to the right off the point it is open.

2nd on is a bunch of small spots with a few hundred birds in the water.  North east from Shelter point headed towards the peninsula on the map.

The rest of the lake looks frozen over, the Narrows were frozen all the ice has a few inches of snow on it.  As for the narrows someone walked about 10 feet out on the ice.  it wasn't me and I did not get out to try the same thing.  

I got pictures I will post later, but I am thinking on going to casper and picking up my gear.

and there is a burnt  up S10 along side the road on a hill.  I snapped a pic as I rolled by
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.