The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice cleets  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice cleets
« on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:25 PM »
Has anyone found a good set of
Ice cleets or chains.??..I actually own a pair of chains,..but when there's slippery snow on ice,..the chains get glogged up..I fell face first in the snow today pulling our sled with gear...My husband stood there looking at me..lol

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice cleets
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:59 PM »
Yaktrax.  The cheap ones.  $20 and they work well. 

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:10 PM »
I’ve tried them all. Most over priced and broken tips, no quality in most all I’ve used, slip overs wouldn’t stay on, always got clogged, slush problems etc. This is what I use and will never go back. Positive traction always.  My boots are 800gram lacrosse. 8x1/2” or 10x1/2” hex head screws into the lugs. After ice fishing I just screw them out.

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2022, 09:25 PM »
KORKERS MAKES A PAIR OF SLIP ONS LOVE THEM. THE APEX ONES ABOUT 40.00 .

Offline MMWood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:12 AM »
I use kold kutter ice studs, the 3/8" legnth and screw in as many as needed. I have 14 in each boot and never have a problem.   Just dont walk on anything you care about!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:13 AM »
yep, they all get clogged up from time to time when it's wet and sloppy on the ice. I use stabilicers and they are pretty good. The good thing about them is they are pretty tough and can take it when I chop the ice out of them when they get clogged!  ;D

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:29 AM »
Kahtoola's are great.  A little pricey, but there's adequate knock offs out there.

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:33 AM »
      I did the same to my Rockies as Hardwater2 did to his boots.  I've but these screws on and off my boots for years.  They're better than any cleats or chains that I've owned.  Of course, I don't drive with them, but it's a small inconvenience for how good they are on the ice.

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:35 AM »
Thanks,..for all the info..I'm full of arthritis from head to toe...at 52 ...so I'm stiff ,..so when I slip,..I'm usually going down...My ,..husband used to play hockey for his school,..when he slips,..he seems to never fall..🙄

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:46 AM »
Mine are yak-trax ,..chains,..diamond cut..
I'm  about ready to get the ones with spikes added on..

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:00 AM »

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:11 AM »
I’ve tried them all. Most over priced and broken tips, no quality in most all I’ve used, slip overs wouldn’t stay on, always got clogged, slush problems etc. This is what I use and will never go back. Positive traction always.  My boots are 800gram lacrosse. 8x1/2” or 10x1/2” hex head screws into the lugs. After ice fishing I just screw them out.

That's what I use. Like MMWood said" Just don't walk on anything you care about!

Offline tacklebox07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:28 AM »
80 yrs old, surgery on both shoulders, can't afford to fall. This is what I have found to be the best for me. Had these for 3 yrs now, worth the money. Fits my 13 boots.
https://www.amazon.com/Hillsound-Trail-Crampon-Traction-Device/dp/B004Y6D9B8?th=1&psc=1

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:37 AM »
That's what I use. Like MMWood said" Just don't walk on anything you care about!

No doubt, my gf gives me the stink eye if I attempt on coming in the house with them.
Not one worry on the ice with this set up!

Offline jag27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2022, 11:35 AM »
I second Kahtoola Micro Spikes!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Ben using the YakTrak Diamond Ice for years................. ............I like the "low profile" even if they slip a little from time to time. I just don;t like the crampon style for hard ice, which we tend to have most of the time now. But then again I wear size 13's so I got a lot of contact with the ice.  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline metalsled1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:49 PM »
For the price I have been overall pleased with the Yaktrax Pros. They’re around $30 and have held up well. They are coiled wire with rubber running through them that stretch over boot.  Current pair I bought about 6 or 7 years ago and just noticed that the rubber has broken in a place or two yet they are still usable.  So I bought a new pair as an extra until existing ones don’t work anymore. One bit of advice to pass on is to take them off your boots for any long term storage, don’t stress the rubber unnecessarily, they’ll last much longer.

Keep in mind…….these are not “aggressive cleats”, not spiked or studded; they serve more of an anti-slip function, which is all I ask for.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:54 PM »
I’ve found that the rubber always dry rots, cracks, breaks over time even on good cleats.
I was tired of all that. Each pair I tried, make model etc never lasted. Hex heads from the hardware store. Last thing I think about… I’ll never look back

Offline Catchabigone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Korker makes some nice ice cleats

https://korkers.com/collections/ice-cleats
Dear Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch, the courage not to lie about it and the wisdom to know that none of my fishing buddies would believe me anyway… Amen.

Offline Nubmnutz32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:15 PM »

What a great idea! I’ve always used the slip over chains and I’ve lost multiple do to having a size 13 foot and the rubber gets stretched out too much I’ll be trying the zip screw idea.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:17 PM »
I got mine from LL Bean, they work great on ice but like everyone else has said they clog up with snow. When they do it is as bad as no cleats on smooth ice. I normally take them off then.

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:23 PM »
I think the HT rubber stretch on ones are the best fur what they cost. Easy in and off and do what they need to and can last several seasons

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:25 PM »
What a great idea! I’ve always used the slip over chains and I’ve lost multiple do to having a size 13 foot and the rubber gets stretched out too much I’ll be trying the zip screw idea.

Once you try it I think you’ll be a believer ;) This weekend when I came off the lake I must have seen a half dozen slip on cleats that fell off ice fisherman. Found them on the lake as well as the launch. Just assures me why I gave up on the other headaches….

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:44 PM »
I like the what is now called the K&E Ice Chisel Boot Cleats. They go on and off very easy and grip well. I have a more expensive set of the vibrant Stabilicers and they do grip well but can get squirmy under the boot and are kinda a pain to put on.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:09 PM »

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:08 AM »
I second the Energetic Sky cleats that PACarpBoy linked.  I've had them for two years now and like them.  Ran the YakTrax before that, and they were good, but the rubber would fail about once a year on them.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline BurningDaylight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:31 AM »
I have been using YAKTRAX Icetrekkers Chains for maybe four years.

I love them.  The issue I had was putting them on wearing my boots.  Last week went out with a fishing buddy and noticed he was putting the chains on his boots before putting the boots on his feet.  What a UREKA moment!

I wear size 13 Muck Arctic Ice boots and putting the chains on first and positioning them on the boots is the only way to go.

Just my two cents.

Offline Pa. Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live Life
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:42 AM »
Burningdaylight
Your spot on with that. :thumbsup:
Hail to the Smallmouth

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:41 PM »
I’m too fat to put the boots on before the chains so it was a no brained for me.
FWIW - The screws are what I use in my wading boots to stay on my feet in the rivers and rock jetty at the beach. As long as the lugs of your boots will accept the screws (i.e., screws don’t go too far in and through, which isn’t likely on winter boots) you should be good to go. Carbide is best but not critical for ice as any metal will give you enough “bite” on the ice.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:52 PM »
There is no way I can put cleats on my Mickey mouse boots while I am wearing them. I always put them on the boots beforehand and put my boots on at the lake. It is just easier that way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.