Author Topic: catfish  (Read 29545 times)

Offline WaterWolf60

• IceShanty Rookie
catfish
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:05 PM »
what is the best way to catch a catfish through the ice? :tipup:

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
Re: catfish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2007, 05:19 PM »
 :'( I don't think that many people icefish for catfish. :tipup:

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:31 AM »
I've caught a half-dozen bullheads on each of my last two outings....just fish minnows on tipups a few inches off the bottom.  If they're active & feeding, you'll catch them.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:01 PM »
in my exp., certain lakes produce better than others. i know of only 2 lakes around here where you can target cats and actually have any degree of success. they're everywhere, but no one gets any, even by accident. when i fish these lakes, a minnow on a tip about 1-2 ft off the bottom works. i've caught them on waxies and minnows fishing for gills and crappies. find such a lake and you're all set. just have a good drag on your reel. hook one as long as your arm on your bluegill rig, and you'll know real soon it's not a bluegill. :woot: :woot: :woot:

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:02 AM »
 ::) Next time I go out ice fishing I'll get some minnows and fish a few inch. off the bottom and catch some catfish or as I call them Mr.Wiskers.Ha,Ha.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I had a minnow on a orange and yellow crappie jig today and was fishing about a foot off the bottom. Ten minutes earlier I caught a small perch, then all of a sudden **BAM!** I hooked a fish. It was a fight like I had never had on the ice, I reeled it in- about a 10 LBS catfish!! My wife is extremely mad at me because I released it, but at the time, I didn't see us eating it. I have posted on here that catfish is one of my fave fish to eat, but that is always farm raised, corn fed catfish, a huge difference.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2007, 10:20 AM »
 My wife is extremely mad at me because I released it, but at the time, I didn't see us eating it. I have posted on here that catfish is one of my fave fish to eat, but that is always farm raised, corn fed catfish, a huge difference.
[/quote]

farm raised shouldn't even qualify ::) , I'm with your wife ;) if I could target them of good size, I'd be happy if they were all I caught, and my wife aggrees
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:21 AM »
i got 2  channel cats yesterday fishing small minnows about 6 inches off bottom, they liked the lively ones best very soon after i put it back down the hole
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2007, 03:13 AM »
what is the best way to catch a catfish through the ice? :tipup:
When dealing with channel or white cats, you want to fish in the absolute deepest hole in the lake. The cats tend to pile up there. Please remember to take only a few. It seems like the lake is full of them because your sitting on the entire population all balled up. They can be overfished very quickly.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2007, 02:58 PM »
meow!i only got one in 25years not counting those pesky mud cats  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.