Author Topic: Giant Chubby Darter  (Read 4396 times)

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
Giant Chubby Darter
« on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:20 AM »
Has anybody tried it out. I am going to buy one to try.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Giant Chubby Darter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:36 AM »
I need some more feedback on the Chubby Darter before I buy one! At $7-10 bucks it better be really good!!!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:40 AM »
That is why I am hesitant to pick up a giant chubby darter. Them stupid things are $20. I have never had great luck with artificial anyway. but then I do stink as a fisherman so my experience doesn't really count.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:28 AM »
That is why I am hesitant to pick up a giant chubby darter. Them stupid things are $20. I have never had great luck with artificial anyway. but then I do stink as a fisherman so my experience doesn't really count.

Fer 20 bucks it better fillet the fish too!!!!  :o

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:32 AM »
I need some more feedback on the Chubby Darter before I buy one! At $7-10 bucks it better be really good!!!
I vote that you purchase a few and report back.  ;D

Offline Pike Runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:44 AM »
I have used some of the smaller chubby and have had good luck with them from walleyes and pike to bass and almost all pan fish. But have not used the large ones. I seem to be able to catch some and large fish just using the smaller ones. For me they work best before sun down and about an hour after dark for the eyes and pike and work well most of the day for panfish.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:48 AM »
I vote that you purchase a few and report back.  ;D

You first! :laugh:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:51 AM »
I have two small ones and really like them.  Make sure you use a small snap swivel or it just doesn't present itself right.  Downfall is it takes a bit to get down to target area, but once it does POW!   perch killer.  I can also tell you that Gander Mountain in Coldwater Michigan has all sizes the same price 6.99.  I'm assuming the Giant Chub is 3+ inches?  There is no lure worth 20 bucks but for 7 dollars it is worth adding to the arsenal.  

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:55 AM »
the giant chubby darter is 5 1/2" long and 3 1/2oz.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2008, 11:52 AM »
They work awesome for big aggressive pike!!!

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:44 PM »
Hey corny I have the same rod. what do you have for line on that thing. I am thinking about 65# powerpro with a titanium leader for my setup.

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:52 AM »
Nice pic!  Looks like dragging that thing in was a hoot.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2008, 07:40 AM »
corny13, What rod and reel you are using there? What line? Probably works well on Lakers too?
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2008, 01:15 PM »
It looks just like my Genz stix predator series combo. picked mine up on ebay fro $18.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2008, 03:37 PM »
Yep its a Grenz rod/reel combo made for Lake trout but also works great for Pike!!!  Mine was on sale at Reed's two years ago at end of season clearance... did pay more than $18. But it was spooled with 20 lb Berkeley line.    Yes those are titanium leaders also....  I like mono with the titanium leaders for jigging big pike... has more give than spiderwire.  But I do cut off and re rig after catching a big girl..The Giant Chubby's also were bought at Reed's during a summer sale in the bargin bin!!!!  $7 apiece if I remember right... A very good deal.  I went out with a natural perch and caught a 7 lb Northern on my first cast honest! ( In the summer)  I have had walleyes also come up and watch these things ice fishing.... interesting.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2008, 04:23 PM »
corny13, thanks! I'll have to check it out.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:03 PM »
I was looking at those Genz rods a couple of years ago and wished I would have gotton one. Are they still making them or is E-bay the best chance.

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:16 PM »
You can find them at most sporting goods stores. I know gander mountain has them for sure. Ebay might be your best bet anyways. I have gotten a ton of great deals on ebay. They have a couple rods on there right now, no combos though.

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2008, 01:30 PM »
This will be my third year with them. The 1st i saw them online and was like heck i'll give it a try. All i can saw it WOW. If you fish it right it will out fish all your other lures. Key word fish right. I now own one of every color in the smallest size, and if i lose one i will go right out an replace it. Here alittle helper if you want to add a perch eye to them.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:57 PM »
Whats the "right" way to fish them. I have been using them for 2 years and have yet to catch a single fish. And luckily every fisherman works for the CIA so all their info is top secret, so they can't help.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2008, 03:57 PM »
The Giant Chubby is fished just like a smaller chubby, for pike in the Dakotas look for a nice ledge close to deep water.  Drop the Giant chubby down to the bottom reel up a foot, then jig aggressively with a foot -2ft pull upwards.. the chubby will swim back down fluttering in a circle.  If clear water you can look down and watch the action that really helps to figure out what to do.  Of course let it sit  everyso often and just give it a jiggle.  If the hooks were taken off they would make a great spearing decoy!! For walleyes with the smaller chubby same but only jig up 1-1.5ft... rely on Vexilar to watch for walleyes coming off the bottom to check it out.  If walleyes are aggresive they will inhale them , if they come up on the vex and dont hit it try a small minnow head on the front treble( this doesnt work on the smallest size... they loose their motion).  If they are not aggresive ie not taking other jigs   stick to the dead lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.