Author Topic: Echo Reservoir as a State Park  (Read 1017 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Echo Reservoir as a State Park
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:20 PM »
It is NOT set in concrete - yet.  However, the process to make it a State Park has been set in motion.  Echo Resort agreed on Nov 1, 2017 to terminate their concessionaire contract early to allow the State Park process to officially begin.

There is currently an agreement between the Bureau of Reclamation (BoR) and the State of Utah Parks & Reclamation (P&R) to manage 11 BoR projects as State Parks.  The agreement covers Deer Creek, East Canyon, Huntington North, Hyrum, Jordanelle, Red Fleet, Rockport, Scofield, Starvation, Steinaker, and Willard Bay.  A new agreement is being developed to include Echo for a total of 12 BoR projects being managed by P&R.

The target date for completion of the agreement is Dec 31, 2018.  After the agreement is completed and signed by all parties, THEN development of the plan to actually construct a state park at Echo will be started.  I would guess that the development and actual construction to completion and official opening will take 3 or more years.  A similar Federal/State/Local project – resurface of the road from I-15 to the Bear River Bird Refuge Tour loop (over 12 miles) - took over 7 years to complete.

Unless you have worked within the Federal Government and been involved in budgeting, permit requirements, and the public hearing processes (I did for 45 years), you have no idea what the process is and how painstakingly slow it can be.

In the meantime, Echo Resorts will continue to operate some, or all, of the current facilities available.  For how long is anybody’s guess.  Personally, I would bet that we will not see an Echo State Park for at least 5 years.

I also talked with the P&R and found out that Gov Herbert’s proposed budget for 2018 includes $10m for P&R with $2M of that total earmarked specifically for Echo.  And again, that isn’t set in concrete either.  Those budget amounts will have to be approved by the State Legislature which convenes later this month.

There you have it folks.  You now know some factual information (as opposed to mere rumors) about Echo becoming a State Park.  Stay tuned in the near further because there will be some public hearing meetings to get input from users such as fisher persons and campers.  I’ll post any that I learn of so you can attend if convenient and desired.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Echo Reservoir as a State Park
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:42 PM »
Boy that is some lengthy time to get it up and running but honestly it will make for better winter access IMHO. I have frequented the summer trout tourneys there and have always enjoyed the people running the place but winter has always been an issue. If the whole 2 million goes into there it should be very nice. Heck I might even start buying a state park pass again. Who knows  ??? Thanks for the info on whats going on there Bob
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Well, as most of you already know, Echo Reservoir is now - officially - a State Park.  The current manager is also the manager at Rockport and I talked to him 2 weeks ago about what to expect at Echo this coming ice season.  The plan is to keep the gate to the launch ramp area open and the parking area plowed as best they can (it is 100% gravel at this point).  They are considering a couple of porta-pottys since the main buildings with the restrooms will be winterized and locked.  The water level is extremely low, so conditions are unknown at this point.  I will be making several trips there this coming season as the reports of some nice perch this past summer are very encouraging.  Is it ice yet?   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2018, 12:37 PM »
I will probably join you or be going myself also Bob, got a state park pass this year and haven't really used it much this summer so its looking like I need to get my use out of it this winter. Thanks for the winter info there, We'll talk once the ice is on!
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:29 PM »
The REALLY bad news is that the water level at Echo today is at 11%.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:51 PM »
I've heard from people that have been by there that is very low. Well the fish will be concentrated for sure.  :-\
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2018, 04:22 PM »
The silver lining is that Weber Basin ends it's water year today (instead of the 15th as most years).  So it at least shouldn't continue dropping as fast.
I can personally verify that there were some nice fish there late this summer.  Then I lost the drive to bounce my boat in and out of the water after the ramps were non-functional.
s.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Glad to know it will be more accessible now. Thanks for the update, dubob.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.