Author Topic: Blackstrap 2018/19  (Read 56176 times)

Offline Mackereltoss

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blackstrap 2018/19
« Reply #210 on: Jan 06, 2019, 12:53 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have been reading this post since it was created this year and I can’t thank everyone who has posted enough. I feel much more confident out on the ice and have somewhat of a sense for attempting black strap. I am just starting out ice fishing as this is my first season I have been down to blackstrap twice this year and came up skunked both times but I’m locked and loaded with some new hooks and new areas to try. Heading out tomorrow to try around Evans roads! Will post if anything shows up!

Cheers!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #211 on: Jan 06, 2019, 01:21 AM »
Nice looking fish guys, good to see that Blackstrap is producing for you all. @)

Ouch, nasty bang to thumb there churchill.  :pinch:

Welcome Mackereltoss, and good luck this winter. ;D
It's a fun and addicting sport to get into. :icefish:

WW

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Jan 06, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Haven't gotten out as much as I would have liked this year , so looking to sell my ice shack located out at the Strap, anyone interested let me know. Used to be a classified section but cant  seem to locate it, not sure if posting this here is acceptable Church or RIP maybe you would know. Can get more pics of anyone is interested.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #213 on: Jan 06, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Sell your ice fishing equipment online at Iceshanty.com. To post items for sale you must be a registered member of Iceshanty Forums and a member of the Militia. Click here for more info.

If you click on Ice Shanty.com's Ice Fishing Community, it will take you to were I copied and pasted the above.  You will be able to click on were it says...Click here for more info.

I think then you would be able to post your ad that will show up more then just on this Blackstrap page.  But I am not 100% sure, as I have never tried to sell anything.  People that read this section will know you have it for sale.

Is it parked on top of fish??????  Might increase the value of it :) :)

What are shacks going for nowadays?

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Jan 06, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Yep, parked right over the perch, figured that would be a great selling feature, after all ya now what they say, Location Location Location!! lol🎣

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #215 on: Jan 06, 2019, 01:51 PM »
LMAO, so correct

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #216 on: Jan 06, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Howz the ol thumb doin 👍, slowin ya down at all?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #217 on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Had to take yesterday and today off.  And have to go out of town tomorrow.  Probably Thursday before I get back out to try it out.
Going to be a little cooler so I will have to find a big glove to go over the bandaged up thumb.  Might effect me reeling them up, but
after the first 30 or so, I should have it figured out.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #218 on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:38 PM »
LMAO, no lack of confidence here! You'd think the fish would of caught to your methods already!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:33 PM »
Cholo, you need to read back on this thread. Churchill River has TRAINED his perch to bite over the years. He admits it. I'm thinking he probably had a few hundred coming to that green hawger when he rings his bell. No wonder he puts so many back. Too many lunches on the ice and he will have to catch wild perch just like the rest of us.
I personally think those bait eyeballs are preserved in single malt scotch, or at least a good Irish whiskey. There HAS to be something that the rest of us just haven't quite figured out.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #220 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:18 PM »
Well I have been telling you all over the years that all I use is eye balls for bait.  I didn't think I would have to tell you how I preserve them.  Cholo, about 3 years ago I was worried about the perch catching on to my methods.  But know that there are more green hawgers bouncing off the bottom, the perch are confused and are not sure which is mine. 

I have talked and seen people using other baits (minnows, meal worms, etc.), and they are doing pretty good.  Not sure why the eye works so good for me (it's not preserved or anything, I think Speck just smelled Scotch around my fishing holes).  So I would say whatever bait is working for you, stick with it.

Offline Mackereltoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #221 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Sask wind is no joke!

Made it out Sunday from 1:30-5 and the temperature was not half bad haha with some friendly advice I fished south of Evans road and started plugging holes to the north. Slow bites untill 4ish when they started. I have never fished perch before so I missed a couple soft bites and yanked the hook out of a couple more but I ended up landing three fish with the biggest being around 9”. All in all it was a blast of a day and can’t wait to get back out!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #222 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Just making a post to get Blackstrap closer to the top of the page.  I got tired scrolling down trying to find Blackstrap.

With the cool temp's I don't imagine many people were out.  We are heading out Saturday.  With the warmer air moving in, it should
be a busy weekend on the ice. 

Good Luck All

Offline Trewlyfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #223 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:15 PM »
I will be heading out hopefully on Saturday as well.  Tried last week and saw lots of perch on the screen, but none were too interested in biting.  Hopefully my kiddo will catch some.  She was having fun watching the perch on the screen and could feel the little nibbles, but none were biting near the hook!

gman51

« Reply #224 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Fished the west shoreline across from the launches but further towards Thode. Hole hopping most of the day hooking up on perch here and there. Settled in on an area getting towards the evening bite. And landed 2 walleyes of the small 15” variety. And 3 pike on the flag. Jig and small minnows have been doing good on the walleyes last few trips for the jigging rod.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #225 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:37 PM »
Good day for flying the kite this morning. There were a lot of people across from the boat launches, so we went
South of Evans road (no one within 1/2 a mile of us).  Fished a couple of hours and we caught about a dozen.  Went back to
the shack to fry up shore lunch.  Then back to the same holes, and the wind started to die down.  By 3:30 hardly any wind
and the bite picked up.  Lot's of perch from 4 inches to just under 14.  It's good to see a wide range of sizes.  I hope everyone
else had a good day.

gman51

« Reply #226 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:52 AM »
or flying a hub shelter... lol but with the daughters help we managed ok. after locking down and settling in we were fishing. perch were caught and a 7lb pike. no walleyes made it topside in this area but had some decent marks coming in with no commitment. action all day kept both of us interested. along with the hot chocolate and the wife's baking. were both looking forward to our next trip.

Offline Ryanshirley24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:42 PM »
Caught my first two fish this season on the same tip up haha followed the catch with a Cuban cigar for celebrating. Ice was awesome today

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Caught my first two fish this season on the same tip up haha followed the catch with a Cuban cigar for celebrating. Ice was awesome today

Congrats!  Btw, my nephew says he was an usher at your wedding?  (Ryan M). :)
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #229 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:11 AM »
first time out yesterday what a beautiful day on the ice took out my 2 boys for a day of perch fishing pretty crowded by the launches so went north from there. spent an hour trying to drill hole in the ice auger kept bogging down and out would not drill. auger had sat for a year or to with gas in tank so maybe plugged. after almost giving up and packing it in along came a truck so i flagged him down and asked if he could help me out and drill some holes for me cause my auger wont drill and i would pay him. he kindly offered to drill as many as i wanted and refused money not only that he offered to look at my auger then got a screwdriver out of his truck and started the auger turned some carberator screws and in no time had the auger running and cutting holes like it should. told me to get new gas and spray some carberator cleaner through the intake while running and new blades and should be good to go. after talking for awhile i found out who ripnflutter is nice to put a name with a face. so many thanks rip my boys also thank you we even caught perch bonus.

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Awesome to hear stories of Ice Shanty members helping each other out. Glad you were able to get a few perch on your first time out too, klem!

I've had a few battles with my gas auger and it sure makes those electronic ones tempting to buy when you're freezing your hands off trying to get the gas auger to run.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #231 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:53 AM »
first time out yesterday what a beautiful day on the ice took out my 2 boys for a day of perch fishing pretty crowded by the launches so went north from there. spent an hour trying to drill hole in the ice auger kept bogging down and out would not drill. auger had sat for a year or to with gas in tank so maybe plugged. after almost giving up and packing it in along came a truck so i flagged him down and asked if he could help me out and drill some holes for me cause my auger wont drill and i would pay him. he kindly offered to drill as many as i wanted and refused money not only that he offered to look at my auger then got a screwdriver out of his truck and started the auger turned some carberator screws and in no time had the auger running and cutting holes like it should. told me to get new gas and spray some carberator cleaner through the intake while running and new blades and should be good to go. after talking for awhile i found out who ripnflutter is nice to put a name with a face. so many thanks rip my boys also thank you we even caught perch bonus.

Good job Klem...glad you got out and found a few.

Way to go Rip  :thumbsup: that is great to see!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #232 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Fished 1/2 day today (afternoon).  They were just tapping the lure today.  Steady action trying to get them to bite.  2 of us only
ended up catching couple dozen.  Only 2 jumbos today. 

Offline Mackereltoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Hello everyone!

Got out Sunday afternoon 1-5. It was easily the best day I have ever had ice fishing. Fished south of Evans road and landed 25-30 fish from 3”-13” in size. I kept a couple for a fish fry last night. The weather was amazing so I didn’t set up the shack drilled about 7 holes in roughly 2 feet of ice and went to town. Hell of a day can’t wait to get back out there!

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:24 PM »

This is great stuff.  Congrats to Rip.  He's a great dude!
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #235 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Yes, nice job Rip with the helping hand.

Now if you could drive by my house so I can flag you down.  I am having trouble with my 24 valve diesel engine :) :)

gman51

« Reply #236 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I’m sure most of us on ice shanty or not on ice shanty would try and do the same. Anyway the jumbos were still in the same place I left them on the weekend. I Wonder if this aggressive perch bite will last the rest of the hard water season. And the walleyes seem to be laying low again? At least in the areas I frequent. The search must go on.....

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #237 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Hey rip sent you a PM a couple questions on my auger if you wouldn’t mind. Thanks.

gman51

« Reply #238 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:47 AM »
even in these -30c temps major difference with very minimal wind as was the case yesterday as a buddy and i sat it out in the hub as the perch were still fairly active coming through in packs. buddy brought out some night crawlers he still had in his fridge from the fall piecing them out on small spoons and the perch were eating them up. i told him its been like this right from from first ice and that there was a small town set up last weekend out from the boat launches everyone has been pounding the perch pretty well all over the lake.. he also agreed on the unusual early aggressive bite that's lasted this long. no need to wait for the march perch explosion.  looks like a temp swing after the weekend.....

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #239 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:44 PM »
I battled the wind and cold temps but managed to spot a ton of perch and was able to catch some too. Took a few home for a fish fry. Turned out to be a good day despite the weather. Hope these pics upload

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.