Author Topic: Base for a hub shanty  (Read 9515 times)

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Base for a hub shanty
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Has anyone ever made a base/floor that doubles as a sled for a hub shanty?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Base for a hub shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:23 PM »

Here's a few pics of one I built a few years ago, it works good and your feet stay really warm. A little bit of insulation and plywood can sure make a world of difference

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:35 PM »
rubber interlocking mats are popular

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:42 PM »

Here's a few pics of one I built a few years ago, it works good and your feet stay really warm. A little bit of insulation and plywood can sure make a world of difference

That is kinda impressive. I am sure that will keep the feet warmer!
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:51 PM »
The rubber mats I have seen but they look like a pain to carry, aren’t very high off the ground and also I’m looking for something I could make into a folding sled as well. The pics shack man posted are definitely a spitting image of what I had pictured in my head

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:35 PM »

With this do you have the pop up anchored to the base somehow..

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:47 PM »
pretty neat design!
Are the holes in the floor wide enough to put the 5 gallon buckets in for transport?

Offline JayWirth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:52 PM »
patent that ASAP!!! :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow:
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people. Arlo Guthrie

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:15 PM »
the base really ties the room together dude

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:11 PM »
I have an old clam expedition Flr hub. It came with a floor that folds out. I think it is the same floor used with the clam 5600. With all the threads i see asking about hub floors, I wonder why they stopped making them.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:34 PM »
pretty neat design!
Are the holes in the floor wide enough to put the 5 gallon buckets in for transport?
Thanks, the holes will hold a 5 gallon bucket firmly and they are offset so nothing can drop through them during travel. I found a place that sells recycled hdpe in 4"x8" sheets and will roll it up and ship it, So thats what the white surface is. I used 1/4"x20 threaded knobs bolted through the inner grommets on the hub to hold the hub to base.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:44 PM »

Yes the hub can be held on to the base with 1/4"x20 threaded knobs that insert into blind nuts that I installed during construction. What's really neat is once your set up you can actually move the shack without tearing it all down. Just move, drill, skim and fish... this works best in light or no snow.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:11 PM »
What’s it weigh? Just the sled/floor

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:36 PM »
What’s it weigh? Just the sled/floor
I'm not really sure.... I never can remember weighing it. I know 2 guys can unload it out of the back of a pickup with all the stuff that is in the picture. If I were to guess i would say 35ish pounds???

Offline Srd7792

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2018, 04:15 PM »
It doesnt double as a sled but it does make a sled cover . I extended the top of my pellican sled by 6 inches and built a hub base out of  1"x1" mohogany frames piano hinged together with 1" green closed cell insulation board and a layer of 1/8" plywood on top that i re-inforced with fiberglass matt then carpeted it . Verry light and easy to unfold . 7 foot by 7 foot when open . Going to add skiis to it soon so i can move around with it set up .dont know what it weighs but i pick it up alone with no problem and  i aint no super hero.  I dont know how to add images yet but i will give it a try .

Offline JayWirth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:08 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:  I read this post a second time and it was even better

Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people. Arlo Guthrie

Offline Beeler

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:07 AM »

Shack Man, nice idea for a insulated floor for a hub, I like it! Now you got me thinking on how I can design the floor so it's higher off the ice when their is more snow and being able to move the shanty to a different fishing spot without folding it up. Do you have the blind nuts on the side or on top of the floor?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Beeler, the blind nuts are on the top and they match the Eskimos layout for the tie down straps on the QF3. It wouldn't be hard to make the sled elevated (I was thinking 12-16 or so inches) for traveling and have the ability to drop down for fishing. I was actually wanting to build one that does that very thing. This floor/sled is actually the 3rd revision, I actually broke off the skis a couple times before I got the learning curve down.... Just haven't gotten around to making it happen.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Thank you Jay!!!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Beeler

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:07 PM »
 I built a scale model out of balsa. The clearance for the snow is 9 inches and I should be able to move it with the 3 skis.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:25 AM »
That looks good Beeler, I was going to make the skis extendable so when extended, the the shack moves easily while still set up and when the shack is down it cuts the air from blowing in underneath. Banking snow or dropping a tube down of course would always be an option as well.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:42 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=364092.0
Something similar to this could work well also.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:30 PM »
I plan on building a floor with skis for a hub shelter, but wanted the floor to drop down on the ice. This is not to scale, but a concept. 

If you can't open, go to Youtube and type in "Drop down ice shelter floor"   

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:40 PM »
I had something very similar in mind. Great video!!!

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2019, 02:59 PM »

Has anyone else attempted this setup? I am thinking of trying something similar. Just curious to see if anyone had any feedback after trying this? Improvements or enhancements etc?

I am not worried about weight, will haul it on a trailer and pull it all with the atv. Just looking for way to use a base like this wiht my otter hub and stay mobile.

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Not quite as fancy as the original poster but built this about 4 years ago to help get the hub more mobile to run and gun with my boy. 3’ wide x6’ long plywood floor/smitty sled with a frame that folds out to 6’ wide. The corner webbing just hooks onto screw in open i-bolts (picture has it flipped up to show the frame though typically fixed at all 4 corners). Only has two ski’s under the sled (6” risers I think) so if the snow is too deep (>5”) the outer arm will drag. If the snow isn’t too deep it is nice and easy to leave the shelter erected and pull from spot to spot, jump inside and drill a hole or two. Rods, flasher etc all ready to go.

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2019, 08:12 PM »
One of the biggest debates is how high to go, needs to be able to manage riding through snow,  it avoid drafts underneath (especially if there is little snow). Some type of mechanism to lower would be ideal, though would take additional effort.

I now have 3 little helpers so currently on my wish list is a otter lodge (8x8) footprint, which would have a folding 8x8 floor with 3-4 holes similar to the previously posted model. May need a snowmobile to pull it though lol. Definitely will be watching this post for more ideas!

Offline Scandog35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2019, 04:06 PM »
If you use pails with the bottom cut off through the holes, would that help with the draft?  Just cut then so they will fit snug in your hole and touch the ice at whatever height your ski brackets put the sled off level ground.  Asking because I am looking at getting a hub.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Scan dog, The skirt on the QF3 provides really good wind blocking with just a little snow or a few ice chips to hold it down.  I just need to sit down sometime and finish the ideas I have for it. It works fine as long as there is less than 6" of soft snow, but I find myself pulling my Clam Voyager more than the rest of my shacks...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:34 PM »
I made a floor out of a 4×8×1" foam board. Glued a sheet of thin paneling, rough side out, on each side. No frame needed. Hinged it in the middle. Very light and durable.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.