Author Topic: Spring bobbers and panfish  (Read 2815 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Spring bobbers and panfish
« on: Nov 24, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Just read a good article on spring bobbers for crappies.  I've tried them a few times, never really had a lot of success with them.  Couldn't really tell what was me shaking with excitement and what was a potential bite.  The article said that sometimes crappies will just flare their gills and suck in whatever they are eating.  Using a light jig and a spring bobber will help you catch those fish.  How does everyone use them?  Dead stick style?  Jig and then hold still?  Do you glue the spring bobber to your rod?  Any help or guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks!!
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spring bobbers and panfish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2008, 01:27 PM »
I am sure you are going to get a bunch of different responsise.  I personally only like the flat wire ones.  I have used them for years and have tried all the other types and didn't like them much.  I think the key is bending the spring indicator to match the jig you are using.  You can actually see a "negative" (spring bobber lifts up due to a bite) and a :positive bite.  I use a rod wrapper and attach the spring bobber to my rods and then epoxy much like you were a guide. It is going to be on there for good but I put them on my rods that I know I will always want it on.  Also I use the jig and hold method most of the time.  I guess it really depends on what kind of bait you are using.   If you had a live minnow on it i guess you could dead stick it.  That it how I use a spring boober...hope it helps.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2008, 01:34 PM »
thats funny as this weeks InFisherman TV show was about the same thing, using spring bobbers for crappies. I have been using a St.Croix legend for crappies the past few seasons and really like them, they are tuffer then most pre-rigged spring bobber rods...such as the frabil panfish popper. The popper is good for gills, but the one i have does not have the backbone toi pull a nice crappir up from 30 feet

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2008, 01:46 PM »
As has been stated, they need to be properly loaded to get the most out of any of them. I have found that using the softest and smallest split shot, such as those used for flyfishing to be the best. You can tailor your weight to the spring and load it very effectively.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2008, 05:42 PM »
I use it while jigging or dead sticking or whatever I am doing. If I am holding the rod in my hand and the rod tip is bouncing a little bit either from jigging or from you being cold, you end up just watching for a little different bounce or raise that wasn't you. You end up getting used to it, and it works out sweet. I won't fish for panfish without it.

Dave

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2008, 09:36 PM »
I like the flat ones as well.  The coil spring ones suck.  I don't like using a sinker either.  I like to just use a heavier jig to get down.  A sinker will hinder the action of your jigging on the jig.

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2008, 05:29 PM »
absolutely no doubt about it. if you can afford it spend the money and buy a st. croix legend rod with the built in spring bobber. i absolutly catch more fish because of that rod. the only thing i will tell you if you are going to buy one make sure to buy a heavier rod and just change the spring out. the first one i bought was the ulra lite and the rod does not have enough backbone for bigger fish in deeper water in my opinion. so i purchased the mediem/heavy weight rod and just put the ulra lite spring in it if you are fishing for panfish or put a heavier spring back in if your fishing bigger fish with  heavier jigs. just my 2 cents.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2008, 05:53 PM »
I like the legend springs, they put fish in the ice when nothing else will. Sometimes I will watch my flasher screen for fish, and when one is ON my jig I will lower the rod tip just a hair. If the spring goes slack, I set the hook. :)

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2008, 08:40 PM »
I like the legend springs, they put fish in the ice when nothing else will. Sometimes I will watch my flasher screen for fish, and when one is ON my jig I will lower the rod tip just a hair. If the spring goes slack, I set the hook. :)

couldn't have said it better myself. I've only tried the light springs in the past. bought a medium to try this season

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2008, 08:49 PM »
I exclusivly use spring bobbers as I don't ussually get out for the early bite nor stay for the late bite because my two young sons tend to set my fishing times. I used to like the flat steal spring bobbers but that meant I had to hold the flat part of the steal horizontal to the hole for it's best performance. I now like a wire spring bobber as it doesn't matter on the angle I hold it at.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2008, 08:51 PM »

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:23 PM »
I use spring bobbers every time I fish...I also vote for a Stiff St. Croix rod with a Ultra Lite Spring.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:29 PM »
I like the coil spring ones, when I am in a heated shack, but they just ice up otherwise.  The straight wire with the orange bead on the end are the best all around though. 

Offline 200013964

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heritage Laker
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Just picked up a St.Croix Premier combo... bought the St.Croix spring bobber separate and fastened it with an eyelet and rubber grommet (much like the legend).

Have not used a spring bobber in the past, but I am sure it will give an advantage...

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2008, 01:42 PM »
I have all the spring weights/size st-croix makes including the heaviest green one for jigging heavier baits. For panfish its hard to beat a spring bobber so I use them often. The st.croix are my favorite, but I like the Marmish spring bobbers also. Once you see how effective a good SB can be it will be hard to fish without one, at least for pannies.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:20 PM »
This post describes how to make a faux Legend.  A little stiffer rod should enhance the sensitivity of the spring.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Has someone on here used the Frabill Panfish Poppers and if so, how did you like them???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:04 PM »
I used them. They work great when you are in your shack. But they will freeze up outdoors. I end up putting them in my mouth and blowing on them until the ice is gone. I like how sensitive they are and you can hold your rod sideways and still see the bite. I am going to try a different one from HT I got the other day.
jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.