The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 227341 times)

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #600 on: Mar 09, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Dear Wyo_Ringo,

Since Burbot are listed as a non-game fish in Area 4, if caught they have to be killed immediately, but after killing them they could be used as cut-bait.

WGFDFishBioLaramie

+1

Offline thirdeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #601 on: Apr 27, 2017, 10:52 PM »
In looking at the 2017 Regs I see that trout beads can now be used above a bare hook, as well as a above an artificial fly (above meaning 2" or less from the eye of the hook), and further the Regs state that a trout bead used with a bare hook is considered an artificial lure in the same category as a jig, spoon, spinner etc. Within the definition for artificial lures the Regs state: "artificial flies and lures do not include living or dead organisms or edible parts thereof, natural or prepared organic food stuffs, or chemical attractants".  I'm thinking this is to further clarify the interpretation/definition of "artificial" when the lure itself is manufactured..., but I have a question below:

Q:  Provided one is not fishing in an artificial only area of water... Does this mean that a bare hook, with properly positioned trout bead can't be tipped with any type of bait like is common when jigging or trolling with a spoon or spinner?
~thirdeye~

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #602 on: Apr 28, 2017, 05:33 PM »
In looking at the 2017 Regs I see that trout beads can now be used above a bare hook, as well as a above an artificial fly (above meaning 2" or less from the eye of the hook), and further the Regs state that a trout bead used with a bare hook is considered an artificial lure in the same category as a jig, spoon, spinner etc. Within the definition for artificial lures the Regs state: "artificial flies and lures do not include living or dead organisms or edible parts thereof, natural or prepared organic food stuffs, or chemical attractants".  I'm thinking this is to further clarify the interpretation/definition of "artificial" when the lure itself is manufactured..., but I have a question below:

Q:  Provided one is not fishing in an artificial only area of water... Does this mean that a bare hook, with properly positioned trout bead can't be tipped with any type of bait like is common when jigging or trolling with a spoon or spinner?

Not sure the G&F guys will be checking in here since it's Spring and their probably busy elsewhere. You might check into MyFishFinder.com, the open water sister site to this one. If I recall correctly there was a couple of lengthy responses to the bead above a hook regs earlier in this thread, you might find it easiuer with the Search feature too. It gets kind of slow in here this time of year! Tight lines to you! ;D

Offline thirdeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #603 on: Apr 29, 2017, 06:41 AM »
Not sure the G&F guys will be checking in here since it's Spring and their probably busy elsewhere. You might check into MyFishFinder.com, the open water sister site to this one. If I recall correctly there was a couple of lengthy responses to the bead above a hook regs earlier in this thread, you might find it easiuer with the Search feature too. It gets kind of slow in here this time of year! Tight lines to you! ;D

Thanks for that link.
~thirdeye~

Offline kyle1982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #604 on: Jul 15, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Can you use dead smelt for bait in Flaming Gorge? Thanks

Offline RandyOfLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #605 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:56 PM »
Why is the Game and Fish posting signs warning of the potential for bank collapse on Lake Hattie when it is private land?  Why is the G&F putting boulders at places around Lake Hattie when it is BLM  and Private land?

Thanks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #606 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Happy to be back on Ice Shanty for the 2017/2018 ice fishing season.  Looking forward to answering questions pertaining to the management of waters within the Laramie Fisheries Management Region  I will be happy to address all issues on fish management of waters in Southeast Wyoming.  When appropriate, I will provide answers based on sound science and professional judgment and look forward to the opportunity to have thoughtful discussions on fisheries issues in Southeast Wyoming. Laramie Plains Lakes anglers, remember there are aeration systems on Meeboer and Gelatt.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #607 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Question - Why is the Game and Fish posting signs warning of the potential for bank collapse on Lake Hattie when it is private land?  Why is the G&F putting boulders at places around Lake Hattie when it is BLM  and Private land?

Dear RandyofLaramie,

Give the Laramie Game and Fish Office a call and ask to talk to a Fisheries Biologist as your question would be better answered over the phone or in-person if you want to stop by the Laramie Office.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #608 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Happy to be back on Ice Shanty for the 2017/2018 ice fishing season.  Looking forward to answering questions pertaining to the management of waters within the Laramie Fisheries Management Region  I will be happy to address all issues on fish management of waters in Southeast Wyoming.  When appropriate, I will provide answers based on sound science and professional judgment and look forward to the opportunity to have thoughtful discussions on fisheries issues in Southeast Wyoming. Laramie Plains Lakes anglers, remember there are aeration systems on Meeboer and Gelatt.

Certainly do appreciate your participation in the Wyoming Ice Shanty and the time you take to answer questions from our members over the seasons. A good group of avid Wyoming outdoor enthusiasts abound here!  :tipup:

Offline WGFDLaramieFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #609 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Excited to join the Ice Shanty group, and looking forward to answering questions about the management of waters within the Laramie Fisheries Management Region. Good luck to all anglers this ice season!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #610 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty WGFDLaramieFishBio!  :tipup:

A great passionate group here and we all appreciate the resources you guys represent here for us and the time you take to respond to questions, etc. Thanks again!

Excited to join the Ice Shanty group, and looking forward to answering questions about the management of waters within the Laramie Fisheries Management Region. Good luck to all anglers this ice season!

Offline slickrockhounds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #611 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:42 PM »

Thank you for doing it!!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #612 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:27 PM »
  Thank you for your help and your service
olefish

Offline pokesfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #613 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Are there catchable size Tiger Muskies in North Crow yet?

Thanks

Offline WGFDLaramieFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #614 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Are there catchable size Tiger Muskies in North Crow yet?

Thanks

Hi pokesfan,

We do not have any data on the size of Tiger Muskie in North Crow yet, which is why we are seeking angler help and information. There should be some Tiger Muskie of catchable size if they are surviving in North Crow, since they have had three years to grow and food (suckers) is readily available. The statewide regulation is that only one Tiger Muskie larger than 36 inches can be harvested, and it is probably unlikely that Tiger Muskie have reached this 36 inch minimum size yet. Thanks for the question and I hope this helps.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #615 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Are there plans to stock Kokanee anywhere else in the state that don't have Kokanee now?
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline WyoRaven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #616 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Is there any truth to the rumor that walleye were illegally released into Granite Reservoir? I've heard this a number of times, even from State Parks employees, but never heard of anyone catching them.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #617 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Is there any truth to the rumor that walleye were illegally released into Granite Reservoir? I've heard this a number of times, even from State Parks employees, but never heard of anyone catching them.

A kid caught a 12# eye a few years ago.

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #618 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Are there plans to stock Kokanee anywhere else in the state that don't have Kokanee now?

I cannot speak for other regions, but in the Casper region we would like to try Kokanee in several other reservoirs.  Right now we are in a multiple year evaluation of Kokanee and Cutthroat in Alcova Reservoir.  Once we finish our evaluation and make a final determination on species size and number we would like to try Kokanee in Pathfinder.  At this point though, Kokanee requests from the regional biologists have outpaced what our brood stocks can provide.  Our fish culture personnel have been working on alternate wild Kokanee brood stocks as well as attempting to develop a captive Kokanee brood.  Once the egg supply can meet requests, we should have the ability to try Kokanee in some other lakes.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #619 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Pathfinder would be great, other than the walleye getting them. But pathfinder has much better ice conditions than alcova and would give more fisherman a chance to harvest..although I know there's walleye in alcova as well, so I guess we wait and see what the survey says lol!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #620 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I cannot speak for other regions, but in the Casper region we would like to try Kokanee in several other reservoirs.  Right now we are in a multiple year evaluation of Kokanee and Cutthroat in Alcova Reservoir.  Once we finish our evaluation and make a final determination on species size and number we would like to try Kokanee in Pathfinder.  At this point though, Kokanee requests from the regional biologists have outpaced what our brood stocks can provide.  Our fish culture personnel have been working on alternate wild Kokanee brood stocks as well as attempting to develop a captive Kokanee brood.  Once the egg supply can meet requests, we should have the ability to try Kokanee in some other lakes.

Thanks for the reply. I know from my own time on Alcova the Kokanee are doing very well and almost no one is fishing for them. Biggest one I got was 22" and close the 3lbs and awesome to eat! I just wish it wasn't  A three hour drive but......
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #621 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:46 AM »

I lost one at the hole up there at first ice this year so there’s at least one in there.

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #622 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:59 PM »
How many tip ups/poles can you use in wyoming?

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #623 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:45 PM »
.  Depends on the body of water your fishing. I know boysen pathfinder are six lines, while golden eye and other central Wyoming areas ponds are two lines and generally no live bait, but that also depends on the area. Check the regulations before you head out.

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #624 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:27 PM »
I know a fly fishing guide, he told me that his friend (also a guide) caught a 20 pound rainbow out of the miracle mile. Are there really fish of that caliber in the river or pathfinder reservoir? He didn't have a picture, Seems exaggerated but guess I wouldn't be too surprised.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #625 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I wouldn't doubt it one bit.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #626 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:51 PM »

You can get a copy of the regs in most sporting stores.  :tipup:

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #627 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Where is this proposed dam on Battle Creek going to be located? I just heard about it today.

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #628 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Caught this deformed rainbow in pathfinder. Is this genetic?

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #629 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Caught this deformed rainbow in pathfinder. Is this genetic?

Deformities like that are often genetic.  They can also be due to an injury when the fish was small that caused a fractured vertebrae.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.