Author Topic: Jaw Jacker Help!  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Jmon707

• IceShanty Rookie
Jaw Jacker Help!
« on: Feb 04, 2024, 08:57 PM »
Hi everyone, first post here and I’m looking for some tips to help increase hook sets using jaw jackers, specifically for walleye. I know what you’re thinking… jaw jackers are the automatic hook setters! This is true for me with every other species I target, but not the case for walleye. Is it just their boney mouths or user error ??? For reference I was out this weekend and lost over half the fish that bit :( The ones I managed to ice were barely hooked and almost lost at the hole. Wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar? I use medium to medium light rods 15lb braid to a 10lb fluoro leader and size 8 trebles. If this continues I’m switching back to tip ups! Thanks

Offline simcoeslayer77

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jaw Jacker Help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2024, 09:44 PM »
How deep are you fishing? Maybe the setup would work better with mono or something with some stretch??? Have you tried decreasing the sensitivity on the jawjacker? Just some suggestions

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2024, 10:07 PM »
Not sure what size baits you're running but if you think you can get away with it maybe try going down to size 10 or 12 on the hooks.  Those little guys are really sticky.  I don't do jawjackers but I run 12s for fatheads and 10s for small shiners on my tip ups and they work just fine. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Jmon707

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2024, 10:31 PM »
Appreciate the suggestions, I’ll make some adjustments and report back. Usually fish from about 15 to 25 FOW and find hunts to be the favored bait. They tend to have thicker backs than other minnows similar in length which is why I’ve been using the larger trebles, but I’ll see if going down a size or 2 works. Now to wait for the weekend…

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2024, 10:52 AM »
Use medium heavy rods with a little more backbone.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2024, 12:31 PM »

X2
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2024, 12:35 PM »

Was thinking the same thing
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2024, 12:50 PM »
Make sure hooks are sharp.u
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2024, 01:23 PM »
I've had this exact issue with walleye and jaw jackers. I've used them for years for walleyes

A few suggestions. Has stated above a longer rod with a little stiffer backbone helps. When the jawjacker goes off you want it to have some oomph in setting the hook because of the makeup of their mouth. As long as your rods are fiberglass, you can really adjust the settings on your JawJacker for Max angle up and max angle in so your rod is really loaded. I wouldn't do this with a graphite or carbon rod.

I would actually upsize your hook. I use number eight for trout which is a small hook, and I find sometimes a small hooks don't work as well with walleye. I would go number six for walleye. Not too big but just a little bigger.

The other thing I've been working on is I feel like the walleyes need to get the bait in their mouth more than other fish. I've been trying to figure out how to delay where they can take a little line before the rod goes off so the bait is a little deeper in their mouth.

Offline Jmon707

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2024, 06:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! Purchased a cheap hook sharpener and putting the jackers on max angle sound like a solid plan. I’ve had that same thought about letting eyes get the bait a little further down before the hook set. Going to experiment with adjusting the trigger for more resistance. Fingers crossed it does the trick!

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Mein4877

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2024, 07:30 PM »
I've had this exact issue with walleye and jaw jackers. I've used them for years for walleyes

A few suggestions. Has stated above a longer rod with a little stiffer backbone helps. When the jawjacker goes off you want it to have some oomph in setting the hook because of the makeup of their mouth. As long as your rods are fiberglass, you can really adjust the settings on your JawJacker for Max angle up and max angle in so your rod is really loaded. I wouldn't do this with a graphite or carbon rod.

I would actually upsize your hook. I use number eight for trout which is a small hook, and I find sometimes a small hooks don't work as well with walleye. I would go number six for walleye. Not too big but just a little bigger.

The other thing I've been working on is I feel like the walleyes need to get the bait in their mouth more than other fish. I've been trying to figure out how to delay where they can take a little line before the rod goes off so the bait is a little deeper in their mouth.

Use the bobbers like the Automatic Fisherman. I made some with wire through the middle that come off on the hook set so I don't have to worry about it getting in the way when I'm fishing the fish.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2024, 11:30 PM »
I only have some experience with jawjackers, my preference is the finicky fooler, but the concept is the same. I will mirror what others have said and say you are probably using too weak of a rod. Especially with ice rods the listed powers often vary a ton between brands, but most medium light rods are pretty whippy. I do have a medium power that is pretty strong. I'm having good luck with fairly strong rods, even with small fish. I think my favorite rod is a medium heavy. It is also important that the action of the rod is slow. You want the most bend out of your rod as possible. The fast action rods waste most of their length on what could be setting the hook. Both Saturday and Sunday I got perch on one using a single #6 treble and a small 3" long sucker minnow. Neither perch was no monster either, maybe 8" or 9" long. They were hooked good. I'm also having great luck on pike, they are hooked really good, so size of the fish does not seem to be an issue.

The thing you are missing is what you are using for bait. If you are using small fatheads or shiners, then your #8 treble is perfect size. I doubt you are using huge bait for walleye. For pike I like a #6 treble for small baits, and use a double treble quickstrike rig with #6's on bigger baits. You could try a single j hook like a #1 or #2 size and see if that might set deeper than a treble hook. Something like a 1/0 or 2/0 works good with suckers.

One other thing you could try, and this is something I've done for really big baits that would set off the tip up normally is use a slip bobber. You could have a few feet of line out there, the bait is suspended by the bobber, the fish takes it a few feet before the trigger is set off. I've never tried it like that, normally I just run an open bail at that point, but it's worth a shot.
-Tom

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2024, 10:43 AM »
I fish perch, and my hookup percentage is so low I am switching to a non- hook setter. I seem to get hooked up for about 3 seconds, but by the time I get there they are gone. I catch more letting the bait down on the drop, or letting the bait back down after a miss and holding the rod. I know others do well with Jackers, but not me. I get almost 100% hookups with the non- hook setting type- foolers or I-Fish pro.

Open to any and all suggestions.

:tipup:

Offline Jmon707

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2024, 08:57 PM »
I fish perch, and my hookup percentage is so low I am switching to a non- hook setter. I seem to get hooked up for about 3 seconds, but by the time I get there they are gone. I catch more letting the bait down on the drop, or letting the bait back down after a miss and holding the rod. I know others do well with Jackers, but not me. I get almost 100% hookups with the non- hook setting type- foolers or I-Fish pro.

Open to any and all suggestions.

:tipup:

This is exactly what I was dealing with when I made this post! Most of the walleye I land by dropping the bait back down after a missed hook set, then setting the hook myself holding the rod.

Just double checked my rods. I run 2 different kinds: wicked ice 28” medium and eagle claw 36” medium heavy. Both are fairly inexpensive but serve me well for all other species. I’m thinking the problem comes down to either hook size/sharpness or letting them take some extra line before the hook set. Would be interested to see how those bobbers that come off on the hook set were made!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:11 PM »
Walleye don't really have boney mouths, that shouldn't be an issue if you are also doing good on pike or other fish. Expensive rods are not needed, if anything it seems the cheaper rods are usually the ones better suited for this job. By better I mean stronger, and with a slower action. A lot of higher priced rods are fast action, lighter power, more about sensitivity and jigging. You want the opposite of that for an auto hookset. I would still like to know what you are using bait, and how you are hooking that bait.
-Tom

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2024, 10:26 PM »
I run medium rods, max tension on the jawjacker, and 10 lb braid with various size jigs for trout, perch, walleye, and burbot. The biggest game changer for me with missed strikes was allowing them to have some room to take the jig before the jacker goes off. I put a snap swivel (opened) attached to the bobber and 9/10 it falls off and doesn’t effect the rod upon the jacker going off. Bobber size varies dependent on size of fish I’m targeting. Changed my missed hook sets for fish drastically.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:24 AM »
Give about 1 foot loop and tuck a small loop under rubberband and use #10 treble use a fiberglass rod and maximum hight on rod holder. That's how I set my autos up.

Offline Mein4877

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:34 AM »
I bought some similar bobbers and used a coat hanger and made my own version of these.

https://automaticfisherman.com/store/AF-BALSA-WOOD-ORANGE-HOOK-BOBBER-p58228279

Offline Jmon707

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2024, 10:12 PM »
Walleye don't really have boney mouths, that shouldn't be an issue if you are also doing good on pike or other fish. Expensive rods are not needed, if anything it seems the cheaper rods are usually the ones better suited for this job. By better I mean stronger, and with a slower action. A lot of higher priced rods are fast action, lighter power, more about sensitivity and jigging. You want the opposite of that for an auto hookset. I would still like to know what you are using bait, and how you are hooking that bait.

I usually use either hunts or medium shiners with the hook through the back just before the dorsal fin. Found this presentation to produce consistent action. Going to try a few tips mentioned above including the bobber idea. Thanks y’all!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:07 AM »
I run medium rods, max tension on the jawjacker, and 10 lb braid with various size jigs for trout, perch, walleye, and burbot. The biggest game changer for me with missed strikes was allowing them to have some room to take the jig before the jacker goes off. I put a snap swivel (opened) attached to the bobber and 9/10 it falls off and doesn’t effect the rod upon the jacker going off. Bobber size varies dependent on size of fish I’m targeting. Changed my missed hook sets for fish drastically.

For what it's worth, a ficky fooler gives that small loop of line by design. Give them a try, I like them better than jaw jackers.
-Tom

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2024, 06:35 PM »
set the trigger to the hardest/a harder setting to trip. Then you can be sure he's got it before it shwacks!
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.