Author Topic: Need a Reel Recommendation  (Read 3534 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need a Reel Recommendation
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 08:32 AM »
I just ordered a new 34" JT Outdoors Gold Digger.  Now, I need to figure out what reel I should pair it with for walleye and perch catching purposes.  I normally use Pflueger spinning reels, but I am open to suggestions.

Any personal experiences or advice would be appreciated.

d1

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Re: Need a Reel Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2017, 08:40 AM »
I have several high-end spinning reels for my soft-water fishing, but for ice fishing use, I keep buying more of the HT Accucast 6-bearing spinning reels.  They have some features that make them ideal for ice use, and the drag is plenty smooth.

"HT Enterprises Accucast Ultralight Spinning Reels offers a tremendous values in ultralight, front drag spinning reels. These reels are perfect for ice fishing with features such as an extended reel foot, longer necks, and an increased angle which puts the spool in line with the guides of shorter ice rods.

The best part is the price: under $25.  I think they are a tremendous value.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I have several high-end spinning reels for my soft-water fishing, but for ice fishing use, I keep buying more of the HT Accucast 6-bearing spinning reels.  They have some features that make them ideal for ice use, and the drag is plenty smooth.

"HT Enterprises Accucast Ultralight Spinning Reels offers a tremendous values in ultralight, front drag spinning reels. These reels are perfect for ice fishing with features such as an extended reel foot, longer necks, and an increased angle which puts the spool in line with the guides of shorter ice rods.

The best part is the price: under $25.  I think they are a tremendous value.

Tight lines,
Bob

Now that you mention it, I do have a couple of those reels I bought last year.  I mounted them on a couple of deadstick rods, maybe I will give one of them a shot on the custom rod.

Thanks for the feedback.

d1

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Now that you mention it, I do have a couple of those reels I bought last year.  I mounted them on a couple of deadstick rods, maybe I will give one of them a shot on the custom rod.

Thanks for the feedback.

d1

You're welcome.  I think I have five or six of them now, and have never had a problem with any of them.  The top model of that series, the ACR-106AC, has six ball bearings and currently sells for $21.99 at FishUSA.  An unbeatable deal, in my opinion.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline ratfinky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut! Asphalt pro
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I use the ht accucastACR-106A. Nice little reels.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:59 AM »
i bought the pflueger presidents (blue version) while they were on sale at 25$ each. also bought some of the ht accucastACR-106A on sale last year on sale for 15$ each.
my pflueger trions are serving me well so i can't say how the new ones will do yet. same with my okuma aluma 10's. bought a case of those.
none of them had to be regreased for the cold temps.

the eagle claw in-line and it's big brother with the red aluminum spool were junk and i did have to regreese them, but they stayed junk and the drag's were a drag.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:00 PM »
I haven't bought any new spinning reels in recent years that I recall.

First off, it would be based on the line that I would be using.  It's amazing how much reels have improved over the years.  I would have no problem using a Shakespeare Alpha reel.  Graphite reel frame, graphite spool, metal bushings all over instead of ball bearings.  It's a clunky reel and gets the job done.  Pflueger being the parent company of Shakespeare was always on my list.

Somehow, I went down the route to Shimano reels starting with the Stradic.  One of the key things that I was looking for at that time was line lay on the spool.  This affects everything about avoiding line twists and bird/rat nesting when you least expect it.  The system that the Stradic reel used at that time was about the spool oscillation gear was a worm gear rather than a basic round gear.  The result was obvious to the naked eye how much more evenly the line lay on the spool was.  The other thing was the spool bail assembly.  Often times in my opinion the bail wire was too easily overlooked.  The Stradics had a more compact bail wire.

If we talk size, then Shimano in 1000 series.  Pfueger will be the 25 series. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:39 AM »
I have an accucast on my St.Croix legend. It's a very nice reel. Feels much smoother than any other reel in this price range that I've tried.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I wish HT also made the six-bearing Accucast in a slightly larger size.  The current model may be just a bit short on line capacity for bigger game in deep water...

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I use Pflueger spinning reels in open water and then use them for ice fishing.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Shimano Sienna 500 or 1000 hard to beat for right around $30

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:11 AM »
I have some of the presidents and siennas as well as the shimano saharas but my new favorite is the Okuma Ceymar 10, they can be found for about $40 and are just as nice if not nicer than the more expensive saharas.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:21 PM »
All those (and many other) soft-water reels are great, but the HT reel has features that make it perfect for ice use: a longer stem that is angled up more than a regular spinning reel.  This allows plenty of room for gloved or mittened hands and also aims the face of the reel at the first guide of an ice rod, which is typically WAY closer than on a full-size spinning rod.  Clever....

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Not sure why most everyone wants to put inexpensive reels on a $100+ rod.  If I ever pay over a hundred bucks for an ice rod, it's going to get one of my better reels; Stradic Ci4+ 1000s, Abu Premier 10s or Pflueger Patriarch 9520s or BB6061s depending on the application.  I have all these reels on less expensive rods.  It's more important to have a quality reel with quality internals and a great drag for ice fishing purposes than for open water fishing imho.

Just my 2 cents worth.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I tried my first Okuma Ceymar C10 last season...now I have 3.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:05 PM »
I tried my first Okuma Ceymar C10 last season...now I have 3.

What features stand out on this reel above the others?

d1

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:22 PM »
What features stand out on this reel above the others?

d1

A bloated price tag.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:51 PM »
A bloated price tag.

Well everyone is entitled to an opinion, and now we know yours.

I snagged the last two for ~$23/ea.  I wouldn't call $20-30 "bloated".  When I spend $100 on a custom rod, $20-30 for the reel doesn't seem unreasonable. 

I like the large foam handle/knob.  IMO a very smooth drag. Long(er) stem provides room for gloved hands. 

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Good price Jamin, would you share where you were able to find them?

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:04 PM »
Good price Jamin, would you share where you were able to find them?

West Marine had them on sale back in late October.
Gotta watch that "Deals" thread.   ;D

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Thanks for the info! Agree, that " deals " is a great thread!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:42 AM »
West Marine had them on sale back in late October.
Gotta watch that "Deals" thread.   ;D
  LOL oh crap!  I completely forgot to pick mine up when it got delivered to the store.  Thanks for reminding me!  I doubt it's still there, but I'll try anyway...  ::) ??? :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.