Author Topic: Shappell Bay Runner?  (Read 13574 times)

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shappell Bay Runner?
« on: Oct 01, 2013, 08:26 PM »
has anyone seen one yet? what are your thoughts?

best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Shappell Bay Runner?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Do you have a link? I can't find them anywhere.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2013, 06:51 AM »
OK I found them. I don't like them. Looks like your going to have troubles with the trap doors collecting snow or ice. Wouldn't be bad if you made a Smitty Sled for it though.
<===Lefty===

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Do you have a link? I can't find them anywhere.
http://shappell.com/iceshelters/bayrunnersledcabin.html
Just in case others want to know what it is!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Looks like a neat idea however I see a few problems.

- Don't anchor it well and the whole shack will be at the end of the lake as soon as you step out of the shelter
- One guy gets up from the seat (especially the front) and the shelter just may tip over
- Doors on the bottom of the sled will probably pop open when being pulled and let snow in or stuff out

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2013, 12:56 PM »
I think it is a One man shelter.
port holes only on the one side.
i can see it being better for hook to a ATV or sled. and slowly drag hole hopping.
for sure a smitty sled would help alot if snow would come in the holes.
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2013, 07:41 PM »
This is awesome! Would be perfect for when there is a foot of slush on the ice! And you get the luxury of having a floor in the shanty and not be on bare ice.  Very cool idea for us cabin guys that want to be more mobile. I really like this idea. It wouldn't take off down the ice in the wind anymore than my cabin or flip would.  And my cabin has hatches in the floor that lock shut when I pull it out with no issues.  I bet you would sit on the back side of the shack and put your expensive electronics on the shelf like described with no tip over.  Should be nice viewing them on a built in shelf instead of looking down all the time. Perfect concept for my style of ice fishing.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2013, 07:06 AM »
This is awesome! Would be perfect for when there is a foot of slush on the ice! And you get the luxury of having a floor in the shanty and not be on bare ice.   

I wonder how much water would come in the hatches from the slush. Then how do you get it out when you want to close up shop and move.

Offline ericlin0122

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:39 AM »
i think i will get this one this winter. did some research on clam flip style tents, most people complain about the weight of the setups. I think this will be perfect setup to pull with on person and life it into the truck. Will report back once the ice is on.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:10 AM »
The electronics shelf will be a great place to put your Buddy heater as well! Looks to be an ideal setup for one person!! We need to hear from those of you who get one on how it works, ease of use, and any problems with the shack!! I bet some reflectix would be a great mod!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Interesting. It looks like something to try to build.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Did anyone end up buying this and if so what is your opinion. Would you take it over the fx150 or clam scout?

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:41 PM »
I finally got to see one a few weeks back as they had one set up in a Dunhams sporting goods store in a neighboring town. They look like they would have a few advantages and a few disadvantages. As a one man shelter if you don't need thermal it would be a good option.

I don't think it would be any more problematic than a flip over in the wind. You need to anchor either of them down or they are going to blow away in the wind.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:20 AM »
I've had the Bay Runner for three years now and love it. I couldn't imagine fishing in anything else.  I also have and Eskimo Fatfish 949 hub and a Frabill Recon. The advantages of this are as follows: shelf for vexilar, buddy heater and minnow bucket, it has a floor, no need to turn your heater off if your hole hopping close by, tent also doubles as a cover. This is really a one man shanty. There are times when melted snow will accumulate in the sled. I keep a sponge to get that out. It's wide which means you need to make sure it will fit in your vehicle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.