The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Barometer  (Read 1948 times)

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
The Barometer
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:29 PM »
I believe has more controll over how the fish react than anything else. Way more so than the moon

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The Barometer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Totally agree, I have watched the barometer for the last 20 years

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:27 PM »
This has always been a mystery.  Barometric changes are simply changes in pressure, minute changes at that.  The change in pressure under water from 
1 ft of depth to 2 feet is more than any change in barometric pressure.  Yet fish can ascend and descend  through water levels and are not affected (save a fish hauled up from say 100 ft to the surface).

But there is plenty of observed evidence to show that changes do affect fishing. Weather associated with barometric changes perhaps? No studies that I have read can explain this.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:50 PM »
I'm a history teacher by trade, not a scientist, but I was taught the scientific method and about isolating variables to determine cause and effect.  There's simply too many variables at play in addition to the change in pressure: light levels (more or less penetrating into the water column depending upon cloud cover; I reckon a fish might feel safer under lower light...or maybe they think it's dawn/dusk?)), temperature changes, forage/prey activity...I'm sure there's more but you get the drift.  Add to that the hotly debated influence of moon phases and you have a recipe for differing views.

I fish when I can, regardless the pressure, as you can't catch a fish (optimal pressure or not) if you don't have a hook in the water.  That being said, if I get to choose, I choose the worst weather possible...safety permitting of course.  Whether it's the plummeting pressure of an incoming storm or one or more of the myriad of other factors at play, those are usually among my more noteworthy outings.

Solve this puzzle and I bet you could make yourself a tidy chunk of change...

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:06 PM »
low pressure fish deep ,high pressure fish shallow.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:24 PM »
I sure have noticed a relationship with cold fronts... Not scientific, but I have been on Canadian lakes where the fishing will drop off an amazing amount in one day when a front rolls in...  like 150 walleye day to 50 walleye day.  ( not complaining)

Offline The Linguist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:16 PM »

Mizayikaa

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:29 PM »
I’m a retired fly fishing guide of nearly 20 years. When a Front was building it’s time to fish streamers. The bigger trout will become super charged as the barometer is dropping. As soon as it stabilizes it will slow down down. When you go from a low pressure of a number of days to a high pressure overnight the trout fishing will be difficult until the barometer is stabile for at least 24 hours.
I believe the barometer has more of an affect on fishing than any factor in nature
I believe fish feed at different times during the day depending on the moon. I do prefer no moon and a stabile barometer over any conditions.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Totally agree, I have watched the barometer for the last 20 years

Can you elaborate on any of your observations/findings?

I remember being a kid and my dad always checking the barometer we had hanging next to the thermometer. He would tell me when it would be a good day for hunting or not and typically was pretty accurate.

I haven't ice fished enough and definitely havent ice fished enough while comparing changes in barometric pressure to get an idea of what the fish might be doing differently.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:36 PM »
I always feel when a high pressure is building, fishing is tough

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:31 AM »
I always feel when a high pressure is building, fishing is tough

Exactly why I’m home this AM. I can overcome -3 temps but not a climbing barometer.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:55 AM »
I got to HWY219 and US89 Junction and chickened out at 4 am this morning.  Absolute whiteout.  Looking at the cam now, makes me feel like I should have never tried anyway.  http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/SWFrame.asp?Pageid=Camera&Units=English&Groupid=&Siteid=301001&Senid=&WxId=3011&DisplayClass=Java&SenType=All&SenStatus=&Camera=1
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:56 AM »
My grandfather used to only hunt pheasants when his chickens were feeding. It worked great for a rancher with little time...and excuse to get away for a couple of hours.

Offline fridayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:01 PM »
My grandfather used to only hunt pheasants when his chickens were feeding. It worked great for a rancher with little time...and excuse to get away for a couple of hours.
this reminds me of a little test I do before heading out fishing in the AM. I feed my fish in the aquarium. if 3 or more eat from the surface in about 3 seconds then it will be good. but if they just hang out and eat as the flakes sinks than maybe not. either way its more for good luck as I usually only feed them in the evening.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.