The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Taking the kid to the Silos  (Read 867 times)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Taking the kid to the Silos
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Gonnna take my 11 year old out to the silos either today or tommorow. Anybody have any suggestions on a general area to go. I just want him to catch something. All catch and release. Im not asking for any secret hot spots just a general area will work.
Thanks!!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Taking the kid to the Silos
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I had a good day for trout when a buddy and I headed out right front of silos and to the south a bit.  Right in the bay south of the boat ramp about 12 feet of water.  Green marabou jigs worked best but they hit about anything. I have an aversion to using night crawlers and stick to meal worms or maggots and we did just fine.  The trout are big and your most likely going to get something.
That or head north of silos about 3/4 mile and find water at least 40 deep and fish perch.  Sweedish pimples always work for me but alot of people talk about the hali jigs.  Anyway good luck with the kid
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2009, 03:51 PM »
I have only fished CF a few times this year, but the last time that I went ( a week ago), I fished south of the silos about a quarter mile.  Fished in 12 feet of water with maggots just off the bottom.  Caught 1 perch, 10 trout, and missed about a dozen and a half more.  All trout 18 plus inches.  I don't think that you can do wrong anywhere as long as the fish are feeding.  Watch for very light bites.  I think that jigging your bait entices more hits.  Hope that your boy catches a bunch and has a great time.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:27 PM »
i went out today and got 11 perch at the pressure ridge. I fished all along it (3 miles long or so) and got them on worms, maggots, and a airplane jig w/ maggots. i drove on the ice, and i have been for the last 2 weeks, it is about 16-24 inches thick, so it should be fine, otherwise its a long walk. i have found out that the fish bite best early, around 7:30, and quit about 1. good luck! if you want a really good lake to take a kid w/ lots of action, i would suggest bair reservoir about 15 miles east of white sulfur springs. It is chalk full of 14 in rainbows, and i have yet to go and not get my limit in a hour or so. You can easily catch 50 apiece all day. Bair is the second reservoir to the east, and the first one is sutherlin, which has bigger fish, but not as much action. once again, early seems to be better. Bair is a pretty small lake, and the fish don't have too far to hide. I usually do good in 20 feet of water, but the fish are everywhere, like i said, it is chalk full of rainbows, should almost weed a bunch of them out so they get a little bigger in there. If i had kids, that is where i would take them, (or just an action packed day of fishing). Last time i was there the ice was over 2 feet thick, and people were driving on it. word of advise, use the first entrance to the west to access the lake off the road, the main one can get icy and scary.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Hey guys thanks a million for the info. Took him out yesterday and he had a blast didnt want to go home!!! Caught himself a couple nice rainbows and a few perch to. Really appreciate the info!! Might head out and try Bair this weekend.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:11 PM »
at bair, i like to fish straight out from the little bay in the middle of the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.