Author Topic: Icefishing on a shoestring budget  (Read 13753 times)

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
Re: Icefishing on a shoestring budget
« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:07 AM »
...The LCD machines are not real time....

like i said earlier, my eagle fishmark 480 has a realtime flasher on one side while recording the horizontal "history" of that realtime sonar off to the left of it.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:07 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how does a flasher like a vex or marcum compare to traditional fishfinders? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

I assume you're referring to a liquid crystal graph (LCG) when you say "traditional" fishfinder?  If so, a flasher has a couple of advantages.  

One of them is that as the temperature drops, the liquid in an LCG starts to freeze and slows the display WAY down.  AquaVu circumvented this problem by adding a heating element behind the display on their VPG.  Since there's no "liquid" in a flasher, only LED's, they are relatively unaffected by the cold.

Also, a flasher displays real time data.  All LCG's have to translate the information received from the transducer and turn it into a picture, so there's alays a delay between what's happening below and when you actually get to see it.  A flasher's LED's respond instantly to any activity that the transducer is telling it  is happening.

-Munchyy
Rod Woten

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:12 AM »
like i said earlier, my eagle fishmark 480 has a realtime flasher on one side while recording the horizontal "history" of that realtime sonar off to the left of it.

That may be closer to real time, but it's still not real-time like a flasher.  Even my Lowrance Ice Machine, which is an LCD flasher made specifically for icefishing, has a minute lag between what's happening and when I see it.  It even causes me to miss strikes occasionally.  It's only a fraction of a second, but it is easily verified by dropping down the AquaVu and comparing what I'm seeing on the camera with what I'm seeing on the flasher...

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #33 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:16 AM »
i guess you might be right.  but dammit, i don't wanna have to buy another sonar...     :laugh:

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:36 AM »
i guess you might be right.  but dammit, i don't wanna have to but another sonar...     :laugh:

I know how you feel. I have a Vexilar FL8-SE that is a bit old. Even the newer FL8 units have the brighter screen. My Vex is to durable for even me. I wish I could afford to buy a newer one but for the money this one works fine.

Would the money you spend replacing your LCD bring you enough fishing action and enjoyment to make it worth the investment? If you are catching fish and do not feel that a new flasher will improve your fishing then I would probably stick with the LCD.

It sure is nice to uncoil the Ice-ducer, plop it in the hole, turn it on and fish. No messing around with rigged up transducers or screens that slow down when the temps drep below zero.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #35 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:58 AM »
one thing that has been plaguing me ever since beginning to use the eagle fishfinders is the fact that they were meant to get plugged into a boat console and left there, not continually unplugged, stowed in your backpack, and the transducer cable wrapped up once again.  this process has pulled the transducer cable out of the plug that connects to the back of the screen, exposing the wires and scrambling the data.  this has forced me to buy four new transducers with cable at around $70 with s/h.  that money would probably have been well spent towards a vex or marcum.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 09, 2007, 10:44 AM »
one thing that has been plaguing me ever since beginning to use the eagle fishfinders is the fact that they were meant to get plugged into a boat console and left there, not continually unplugged, stowed in your backpack, and the transducer cable wrapped up once again.  this process has pulled the transducer cable out of the plug that connects to the back of the screen, exposing the wires and scrambling the data.  this has forced me to buy four new transducers with cable at around $70 with s/h.  that money would probably have been well spent towards a vex or marcum.

I have two transducers for my Vex. I have the Ice-ducer and a high speed transducer bolted to a clamp on bracket. I plug in the high speed one in the spring leave it plugged in all summer and use it on my 14 foot boat and on rentals. Then in the fall I plug in the Ice-ducer, leave it plugged in all winter, and use it on the ice. The transducer plugs in the back real easy and secures with a threaded ring. It slides in and out smoothly and I do not think that, ven if I were constantly plugging and unplugging, I can stress the cable.

I am guessing that with the transducer setup you have for the ice you unplug to be able to transport to and from the ice easier. I thought that there was an ice fishing transducer you could get for some of those LCD type sonars.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #37 on: Oct 09, 2007, 11:26 AM »
yes, i use the skimmer transducer that was meant to be used attached to your boat.  there is 30' or so of cable that has top be wrapped around the pvc that the transducer is mounted on, and i detach the screen every time i transport it, in order that it is protected en route.  here's a picture while all packed up:

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 09, 2007, 11:34 AM »
yes, i use the skimmer transducer that was meant to be used attached to your boat.  there is 30' or so of cable that has top be wrapped around the pvc that the transducer is mounted on, and i detach the screen every time i transport it, in order that it is protected en route.  here's a picture while all packed up:

What do you carry in the bucket? You can buy the Ultra or the Pro carrying cases from Vexilar:
http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories/accy_add-ons_cases_all.html
They both fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I have the Ultra Pack for my Vex. It started out on a blue Genz box. I think you could mount your Eagle on one of those.

I think some of the guys rig summer transducers on arms so they hang straight down and then you just adjust them so they sit in the hole. I think some fellows have purchased the Ice-ducer floats and rigged summer transducers with those.

Does anyone have a picture of there LCD machine set up with an arm or an Ice-ducer float?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Oct 09, 2007, 12:17 PM »
I know how you feel. I have a Vexilar FL8-SE that is a bit old. Even the newer FL8 units have the brighter screen. My Vex is to durable for even me. I wish I could afford to buy a newer one but for the money this one works fine.

Depending on how many hours you have on it,you might want to consider sending it to Vexilar for a new
 brush kit. Over time, "brush" dust will build up inside the unit, coat the lens with a fine powder, and reducing
 electrical contact for the led's.

This is info from the Vexilar website:

FL Series Brush Replacement Kit Contains brush assembly, slip ring contacts, 1.5 mm allen driver, and complete instructions.
(Soldering Skills Required - Read the Instructions)
#SVK001: $15.00

If you can do the solder work your self, its a cheap upgrade. If you send the unit to them, I think its around $40.00 to do it for you. Contact customer service to get a quote and more info. Now is the time to do it before the ice shows up.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 09, 2007, 12:45 PM »
I may have to make a run over there. They aren't too far from home. Thanks for the info.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 09, 2007, 12:56 PM »

Buy your wax worms and grubs at the pet store instead of the bait shop. Around here, they are 75cents to a dollar cheaper per dozen. You wont get the fishing tips and conversation that you would at the bait shop but they are of very good quality. Heck, when the bait store was out of minnows, I tried feeder gold fish (desperate times call for desperate measures) and had pretty good luck with them.

I agree on the pet store bait but be carefull with the goldfish.  Some places they are highly illegal (Montana) and others you can use them with no problems.  Apparently they can wreck havoc on a fishery. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 09, 2007, 01:59 PM »
i guess you might be right.  but dammit, i don't wanna have to but another sonar...     :laugh:
:roflmao:BD, let us know if you choose a Marcum or Vex. We all know it's coming ;)
     Jim

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #43 on: Oct 09, 2007, 02:20 PM »
I agree on the pet store bait but be carefull with the goldfish.  Some places they are highly illegal (Montana) and others you can use them with no problems.  Apparently they can wreck havoc on a fishery. 

I would say this is illegal in most every state (if not ALL) - Goldfish are not native fish and, as you said, can and will screw things up (look at carp - another Asian fish introduced that causes nothing but problems).

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 09, 2007, 03:17 PM »
I would say this is illegal in most every state (if not ALL) - Goldfish are not native fish and, as you said, can and will screw things up (look at carp - another Asian fish introduced that causes nothing but problems).

I will add I did not use them live.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Oct 10, 2007, 08:19 AM »
  Becareful what ya say about carp  on this board   lol   some one may love em!   lol    I know I stirred up the perch lovers here   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Oct 10, 2007, 10:22 AM »
pet store?

be careful with regs- here in NYS minnows now must certified disease free-you must have your receipt from the baitstore, and cannot keep the minnows for more than 7 days. and there is more to it than that.

back in my aquarium days i remember seeing some pretty skanky looking fish in the feeder tanks. it might be better to leave them there.as far as grubs go, ???
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:12 PM »
I have 1000 minnows so far for icefishing season (starts Jan 15th where I go ) in my bait tank :)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:17 PM »
BrianV if your looking for a cheap shelter can't go wrong with the ice cube. My son-inlaw bought one last year and he built a platform for it that folds in two. We spend the night in it in northern Maine toasty warm with small heater. He paid around 80 bucks for it . Hope this helps.

do you have a pic of the platform i have an ice cube and i was curious thanks

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Oct 10, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Rich I don't have a picture at the moment. I'll get one as soon as he drags it out of storage. It's a little bigger than the shack the floor is made out of 2x3 's with plywood on top then hinged in the middle so it folds over on its self. Put 12"x12" holes in each corner. We also put skis on one side We just throw all our gear on top and haul it out. Also had to put drops on opposite side of skis so when you open it up it sits level. When you set the cube on it and screw it to the ice it'll stay put.  When we stay out all night we were just tired of sitting on the ice. Anymore questions just fire away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.