Author Topic: Icefishing on a shoestring budget  (Read 13754 times)

Offline BrianV

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Icefishing on a shoestring budget
« on: Oct 03, 2007, 08:26 AM »
Hello all.

This winter, I am looking at getting more into ice fishing. I first went last year, and that got me hooked. My in-laws had a shack on the St. Lawrence river where I spent most of a week. However, we only visit them once or twice over the course of the hard water season, and I want to get out myself on some on the lakes around here (Hamilton, Ontario).

That said, I need to get the proper gear. So what would you recommend? I need something light and compact - needs be pulled by one guy on the ice, and fit in the back on a Hyundai Elantra. It also needs to be cheap. I won't set any upper budget, but when recommending gear keep in mind that I would be leaning towards more 'cost-effective' gear.

Here's what I have:

• Light Rod and reel
  • assortment of small lures and jigging baits
  • that's all folks

• Yes, I know I need an ice auger - I am looking at a 6" Strikemaster Mora hand-powered auger from Bass Pro Shop for ~$40

I appreciate any suggestions!

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Ice Fishing Rulez!
    Re: Icefishing on a shoestring budget
    « Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2007, 08:42 AM »
    Get a good skimmer to clean the chips & slush outta your holes.  I prefer the flexible plastic ones, so you can "squeeze" them to break off the ice that forms on them after you use 'em.

After that you're next most important purchase would be some sort of a flasher. Both Vexilar and Marcum build very soild units.

Good luck!

-Munchy
    Rod Woten

Offline BrianV

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2007, 09:06 AM »
    Thanks for the reply, munchy.

I've had a plastic skimmer before, but the one I had got brittle when it was cold out, ended up snapping.

How necessary is a flasher? Perhaps the shack is on a good spot, but there never seemed to be a want of fish to catch. I guess this could change from lake to lake, but I am a little hesitant to make a $300 investment on a big piece of equipment like that.

Brian

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2007, 09:23 AM »
    I would recommend a cheap plastic kids sled to pull your gear on the ice.  I picked up a few for $3.  Also, to be a true ice fisherman you need a 5 gallon bucket to sit on and to throw your catch into.  Should be able to find one of those for free or cheap. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Ice Fishing Rulez!
    « Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2007, 09:27 AM »
    A flasher will change the way you fish.  PERIOD.  I've heard of guys turning around halfway thru a 4 hour drive to their favorite icefishing spot because they left their flasher at home.  Without one you're either guessing or lucky.  Even if there are fish below you, you can't tell exaclty what depth they're at or how they're reactng to your presentation.  A flasher will tell you both and allow you to adjust accordingly.  I can GUARRANTEE that a flasher will help you put more fish on the ice.

A $300 investment isn't necessary either, check garage sales, EBay, auctions, or even places like Cabela's Bargain Cave.  Heck, I used a Jimmy Houston Model Humminbird flasher for a few years.  I had to build a wooden box to hold the battery & mount it on, and fabricate a transducer bracket.  But I got it for next to nothing and it immediately impacted my fishing success.  I even know of several guys that are STILL using the old green box Lowrance LO-K-TOR's.  They can be found for little to nothing on Ebay.  Some guys even make their open water graphs do double duty during hard water season.

Icefishing is still a rapidly growing sport, and MODERN ice fishing is still in its infancy.  Because of this, there's a lot of guys out there inventing new icefishing "stuff" every day.  That's one of the things I absolutely LOVE about this sport.  Get some materials and get creative.  You might be able to throw together something for yourself that works better thatn ANYTHING you could buy off the shelf, becuase you can build it exactly how YOU want it.

-Munchy
    Rod Woten

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Team Wyoming
    « Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2007, 10:06 AM »
    instead of a sled i bought a bucket to carry some of my gear in, and i carry the bucket on my spud bar which i throw over my shoulder:

it also works nicely as a seat with its swivel top

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Team Wyoming
    « Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2007, 10:15 AM »
    a flasher or other fishfinder is not necessary, but it's true, they are worth the money.  they give you huge advantages. 

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • The story of my life
    « Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2007, 12:26 PM »
     I'd have to agree with the flasher, it's not a necessity, I used a Bottomline Tournament 1101 and did very well, it has an ice fishing mode and you can get'em for around $50 and make a box for it and a bracket for the transducer. But no regrets on investing the money on a flasher. If it's going to be just you, find a one man portable if you dont like the cold and get a Mr. Buddy. Or invest in some Carhartts to keep you warm. Also for an auger, spring the extra $20 and get the lazer AWESOME AUGERS. I've raced a few 8" gas augers with my 8" Lazer and I haven't lost when the ice is under 24".
    The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
    « Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2007, 12:50 PM »
    metal scoop, a tip-up or two, ice chisel to open up old holes or for thin ice so you don't have to haul an auger around, and a small portabe shack and heater or even just a heater.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
    « Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2007, 02:32 PM »
    OK like everyone said a flasher is not a necessity. (BUT BUT BUT) Here is the reason I bought one a few years ago and have never regretted it. I had not ice fished for 5 or 6 years when my buddy called me and asked me to go with him. We got out to the lake that he fished all the time and got set up in his shack. He pulled out a flasher and set it up and started to fish. now I really had never seen one used before. (Now mind you we were on one of those hot spots you talked about.) He out fished me 10 to 1 by using that flasher. Now at the time I just thought he had the better hole ::) So a few days latter he called again and I went with him again. But this time I thought I would be smart and asked him to use the hole he was fishing in the first time we went out. He just laughed at me and said go for it. Again he out fished me 10 to 1. The next time out I just started to ask questions on how the flasher worked and how to run it. after 4 times out with him and him out fishing me 10 to 1 everytime I said thats it. I came home that night and told the wife that I really didn't care if she minded or not but I was ordering one that night. Ever since, I now fish him 1 to 1 and some of the times even out fish him by 1 or 2 fish. It makes a big difference when you can watch what depth you jig is at and what depth the fish are at. And another thing I found out about a flasher is if you have kids and take them out fishing they love to watch that flasher and watch as the fish come into the screen. It makes them hold there attention span longer to the fishing. I myself would never be without it. I would be one of those guys 2 hours into a 4 hour drive and remembered I forgot it. I would be headed back to get it no hands down.
    I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline BrianV

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2007, 02:56 PM »
    Ok, well, the discussion here and on the Chat has me convinced that a flasher is a good thing. However, due to the cost involved, that may be a 'year two' investment.

So far, I am looking at:

• auger
  • sled of some sort to haul stuff in
  • 5 gallon white bucket for fish and sitting
  • an ice suit

• What should I be looking at for good portable heat? Preferably, something that lets me cook perch on it too!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2007, 03:41 PM »

What should I be looking at for good portable heat? Preferably, something that lets me cook perch on it too!
    [/quote]

You can try a Mr. Heater, but if you want to cook off of it, the buddie heaters will not work.   Mr. Heater does have a heater and so does Poulan that work pretty well. Try Cabelas, I am thinking about $40.   These will used the 1lb cylinder and you can get the hose to make it attached to a 20lb or I have an 11lb cylinder.   The heater will run a long time on a 20lb cylinder.

Sven

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Hardwater Pirate!!
    « Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2007, 04:11 PM »
    So far, I am looking at:

• auger
  • an ice suit

• What should I be looking at for good portable heat? Preferably, something that lets me cook perch on it too!

HAAHAHAHAHAHA I think he is getting the fever guys!!!

Beware Brian V you are standing on the edge of a very slippery slope here.  The next question after "What should I be looking at for good portable heat?" will be, there is no sense in heating the outdoors all winter I might as well buy a cheap portable shack... then it will be, what fun is a portable shack if I can't fish with a friend I might as well get a larger portable...

We have all been where you are, before we became the fanatics that we are today.  I suggest you follow your line of thinking and take it one year at a time and balance out your larger purchases (flasher, portable shack, power auger, snowmobile/ATV) from year to year.

I think that you are right to include in your list for this winter:

• auger
  • an ice suit

• I think also Master Angler had a good suggestion to pick up a tip up or two to round out your fish catching equipment.  Also an ice scoop is essential equipment, if you start slushing out your holes by hand your hands will take an awful licking by the end of a day and if you ice fish regularly they will get chapped badly.  For $2.99 going through evan 3 or 4 of those plastic cheapies a year is worth it.

Probably your winter suit will be more important than a heater or a portable shack for this winter but remember your comfort is going to be the make or break for a lot of days ice fishing so, if you are not comfortable you will not have fun or you will simply go home early.

Tight Lines Brian
    Ian Kirby

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShantyholic
    « Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2007, 05:15 PM »
    I came home that night and told the wife that I really didn't care if she minded or not but I was ordering one that night.

I take it she dont read the board!   lol     way I do it order it  and use it  and hide it till I get caught   lol
    I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShantyholic
    « Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2007, 05:18 PM »
    heck  then there is always    look in your email for ice fishing money   lol    the email that says your preapproved   lol

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2007, 05:21 PM »
    Ok, well, the discussion here and on the Chat has me convinced that a flasher is a good thing. However, due to the cost involved, that may be a 'year two' investment.

Nope.....it is a lifetime addiction!

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
    « Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2007, 07:07 PM »
    I take it she don't read the board!   lol     way I do it order it  and use it  and hide it till I get caught   lol
    LMAO heck no she don't read the post. She thinks I'm nuts spending my own time on the post. Women ya can't live with um and ya can't live without um. lol But I'm starting to think I can live without um.  :whistle: :whistle:
     And lol Mainehazmt I've done the same as you too, buy it use it and hide it tell caught. Lol nothing she can do about it then except wine and complain about it for a while.LOL if she don't talk to me for a week it's the prefect week. ;D ;D :o :o Oops did I say that out load.  :whistle: :whistle:
    I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2007, 07:11 PM »
    BrianV if your looking for a cheap shelter can't go wrong with the ice cube. My son-inlaw bought one last year and he built a platform for it that folds in two. We spend the night in it in northern Maine toasty warm with small heater. He paid around 80 bucks for it . Hope this helps.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShantyholic
    « Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:12 AM »
    hmmm    guess I just got the crappy ice cube    oh well 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2007, 09:40 AM »
    Here is the current cooker/heater that I use:

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=42&id=22

Set it down one way and it is a heater. Flip it down and it is a cooker.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Team Wyoming
    « Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2007, 10:34 AM »
    well that looks pretty sweet

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2007, 10:47 AM »
    get some safety stuff to keep in you sled. browse this site to get a feel for what you need (rope, spikes,etc.)and best practices for ice safety

also, comfort is more important than you might think. you can't stay out if you're cold, and you  can't fish if you're not there. good hat, couple pairs of gloves, couple of old hand towels, best boots you can afford,and some kind of ice traction device for your boots if the ice is smooth.

i don't eat much on the ice. just some quick carbs and cals. a nature call presents unique challenges out there.
    bring something to drink, you will dehydrate out there.

as far as gear goes, use the KISS method- keep it simple, stupid.(no offense intended). don't aquire a lot of stuff just to have a lot of stuff. use what you have and as you see the need for something else, get it then. visit with your neighbors out there, tell them you're new at it, and get them talking about what works for them.
    when  i buy new stuff, if 3 similar articles cost $5, $10, and $15, i'll get the $10  item. stay away from the low end junk, it'll lead to dissapointment, and the high end stuff is nice, but not that nice.

take a camera, we want to  see what you catch

HAVE FUN!!
    grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2007, 11:55 AM »
    Some of this is obvious and some already stated but here goes.

If I were going to start from scratch as you are, and looking to start on a budget as well, I would ask what is the minimum gear I needed.

You need:
    1. a rod
    2. line
    3. lure or simple hooks
    4. Some way to detect strikes
    5. bait
    6. hole maker
    7. depth finder
    8. You will need some clothing to make you comfortable on the ice
    9. You will need a way to get your stuff out onto the ice

1. The rod can be a stick.

2. The line can be cheepo mono that came pre-wound on your stick.

3. A hook with a sinker will get your bait down. Again may come pre-rigged on the stick.

4. A kink in the line made with your fingernail will straighten with weight from a fish. Your stick may come with a float to alert you to a fish.

5. Bait can be waxies or you can grow own maggots or meal worms.
    http://www.exotic-pets.eu/waxworms.php

6. Something to make a hole can be a hatchet or ax, an ice saw, a chisel or spud, or a drill or auger.
    An inexpensive smaller sized auger will suffice. I started with a spoon type. The 6 inch sizes make hand drilling a hole a bit easier.

7. A depth finder can be a simple aligator clipped hunk of lead or a bunch of sinkers on a line.

8. You can use your basic winter clothes if you can stay comfortable enough.

9. You can buy a cheap kids sled and a couple of five gallon buckets.

You can upgrade any of these as you see fit. As you get more into the sport you can slowly upgrade and add gear as you see what works for you and what doesn't.

You can find a fishing pal who has gear and learn from them.

Some of your gear will be dictated buy the rules and regulations of your area of operations and the species you will be chasing.

Keep lurking on the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable anglers here.

Do some web searches. There are a lot of articles and sites that can provide you with info.

Get ahold of the two ice fishing annuals They should be on newstands soon.

Offline lowbudget

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2007, 06:39 AM »
    Watch yard sales, hit thrift shops and watch e-bay in the summer. I found a Tom Mann Bird Trap flasher for $15.00 at a thrift shop. I will use that this year to see if a high dollar flasher is in order. This summer I picked up a 6" Mora auger f/$15.00 off e-bay. It hasn't seen much use as the bladers were super sharp. Also picked up some polar tip ups off the bay dirt cheap this summer. Another score was 12 new tip ups, 2 hole scoops, minnow bucket and a cooler at a yard sale f/15.00. The tip ups were a local guys invention and I don't know how they will work but for the price I'll give them a try. The only high dollar purchase was a 120.00 Cabelas ice shelter. It doesn't have to be expensive just fun. Enjoy Mike

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShantyholic
    « Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2007, 07:12 AM »
    then ya try the second and third year to be cheap    4th year Kablam   gotta have it all

Offline lowbudget

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2007, 08:54 AM »
    then ya try the second and third year to be cheap    4th year Kablam   gotta have it all
    OH NO LMFAO

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2007, 04:27 PM »
    Any thing you can make yourself, do it! Just let the creativity flow and you'll be surprised of what you can come up with. Sometimes its trial and error, but fun at the same time.

When I first got started, I bought two cheap ice rods and used my summer reels on them. Just took them apart, cleaned the grease out , and used a few drops of sewing machine oil in its place.

Made a spud bar out of a piece of pipe and an old axe head. I just torched the sides down a little to make it thinner. I still use it.

Made my own ice cleats. Used a very heavy gauge sheet steel, (2"x2" square) bent the corners down, cut two slits in the middle for the nylon strap to go through, and hardened them by heating with a torch and immersing them in a coffee can with some motor oil. Work great. Still use them. Just as good if not better then the ones with the same design you can buy.

Made my own shanty and sled. Still use them.

I bought an adapter at Cabelas to refill my 1 pound propane bottles. I can get three, four, and sometimes five refills on a bottle before I have to dispose of them. This is a big savings when you can refill for penny's instead of paying two dollars or more per bottle. I know some will say you shouldn't do this, and it is illegal to transport them, but if you are carefull and do it right, no problem.

Used my Humminbird 300TX out of the boat for ice use. It worked pretty well if it was kept reasonably warm in the shack. Used it for two years until I could spring for a LX5. Which is, by the way, my first most important piece of ice fishing equipment I own. Whether it be a Marcum, Vexilar, or whatever, you wont leave home without it.

Buy your wax worms and grubs at the pet store instead of the bait shop. Around here, they are 75cents to a dollar cheaper per dozen. You wont get the fishing tips and conversation that you would at the bait shop but they are of very good quality. Heck, when the bait store was out of minnows, I tried feeder gold fish (desperate times call for desperate measures) and had pretty good luck with them.

Making your own gear can take some time and effort, but it can be a lot of fun and your final product can compete with, or be better then, anything you can buy.  Some would say, "Why bother when you can buy it".
    Its fun..... keeps you hands busy..... keeps your mind busy....keeps your thoughts on the sport we all love during the soft water months. And best of all, the "honey do" lists seem to get shorter around here if I look busy all the time! Its just like when you go to work. The boss won't try to find something for you to do if you at least give the illusion of being busy when there is really nothing that needs to be done.
    May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline BrianV

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2007, 08:51 AM »
    Wow, you guys really are a source for some great information. Thanks for taking the time to write out all these tips.

I'm looking forward to this years fishing. I'll have to see what I can scrounge up from the local thrift stores. I doubt I will find a flasher, but that is definitely on my 'want' list.

Just out of curiosity, how does a flasher like a vex or marcum compare to traditional fishfinders? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Team Wyoming
    « Reply #28 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:03 AM »
    i've never used a flasher - i just take my lowrance or eagle fishfinder, put the transducer wire down a length of pvc pipe with a T on top to hold it on the ice, and put the lower end with the transducer down the hole.  i like these traditional fish finders because you ge a straightforward, top-to-bottom display of the water column, and there are lots of different fish alarms and display options you can customize to icefishing.  i also like the way mine shows a "flasher" on one side, and then the time-elapsed path of the fish, so you can see the history of contacts from about a minute before present.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #29 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:04 AM »
    Wow, you guys really are a source for some great information. Thanks for taking the time to write out all these tips.

I'm looking forward to this years fishing. I'll have to see what I can scrounge up from the local thrift stores. I doubt I will find a flasher, but that is definitely on my 'want' list.

Just out of curiosity, how does a flasher like a vex or marcum compare to traditional fishfinders? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

You will find lots of differing opinions about that. There are a few guys who have rigged up LCD horizontal scrolling units for use on the ice. With a Vex or marcum unit you have a circular display that is real time. The LCD machines are not real time. The older LCD screens do not do well in extreme cold.

Do a search and you will find a few threads that discuss this.

An LCD would be a relatively inexpensive way to have a sonar unit until you can afford a Vex or a Marcum. If it works you might never upgrade.

CHeck out some of the threads here:
    http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.