Author Topic: underwater lights????  (Read 12653 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: underwater lights????
« Reply #30 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:19 AM »

How far do ya suppose he will have to stick his head under water???    ::) ;)

OK good point. You got me on that one. I was not thinking when I wrote that. I was for some reason referring to above ice. DAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #31 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Ya got me wondering about my state and I will do some checking. I know that people fish with a gas lantern hanging on the outside of their boats and it is legal. I'll have to check to see if underwater lights are legal also. On very clear lakes a gas lantern on the ice will light it up so you can see well with an under water camera. One of the lakes that I fish on is clear enough to see your minnow down 26 feet.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Them "old guys" had some curious advice for night fishing. Old ball canning jar with bail top, lead shot in bottom, tape up a battery pack, flashlite bulb/reflector pointed up, place in jar, use gasket and seal glass lid w/bail, lower to bottom on string, jig above light. I accually caught 2 small lakers like that on cut bait way back. Question is did the lite have anything to do with it! Either way, sweet memory.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:47 PM »
I bought one of those "Green" submersible tube lights last summer and haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna definitely try it this year. One Sunday afternoon last February the wife and I (and the dog) fished a small private lake near home and it was pretty windy when we got there so I put up the portable ice shanty for her and the dog to hang out in while I stayed outside moving around and hunting fish. I was doing pretty good on Crappies and Gills and she was only catching a fish here and there. As the sun started going down I lit up a Coleman lantern for her and hung it from one of the top braces of the shanty. Just a little while later, I called over and asked how she was doing....she said I'm getting a lot of hits but I miss a lot cause the dog wants to be on her lap or looking down the hole when she's bringing in a fish, or wanting to grab the fish, Etc., Etc. So I went into the shanty with her and we started hammering the Crappie ( when we could keep the dog out of the way)....I think it was because the light was being concentrated down into the holes I had drilled because the Crappie were swarming just a few feet under the surface......

P.S.
Don't take a Jack Russel Terrier ice fishing with you!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(...WK

yea...

again...Don't take a English Setter w/ you either when your fishing w/ a Bobber on Soft Water..I did this and not realizing, the English Setter is a Retriever, my Female Ellie dove in the lake 19 times, before I said..>"That's Enough" and left.

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2008, 01:11 AM »

Check out this site
http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/index.html

I just got one with a green sleeve. I will try it out under the ice.

Don't forget it has to be in the water before you power it up.
It has a halogen bulb.
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline thee_other_white_meat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:21 PM »
If you use a strobe light and shine it into the hole you could make the fish have epleptic seizures and they will flop their way up to your hole.  ;)
A wise monkey never monkies with another monkey`s monkey!!!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2008, 06:24 PM »
They are however working on a lead ban.......

That will be everywhere in no time flat!!!

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Here in Michigan the lights are legal to use at night and do work excellent.  One lake I fish for smelt will have somewhere around 200 people fishing in a 20 acre spot and with so many lights going the ENTIRE ice in that area will be a neat greenish/whiteish color.......kind of freaky if you never seen it before..........severa l lakes in Michigan have smelt in them and every winter there will be "smelt cities" on each lake with a smelt population.......have seen as many as 400 people fishing smelt from shanties all within a 40 acre area.........kind of neat with everyone catching smelt........  Always wanted to fly over one of the smelt cities at night in a small plane just to see the weird colored ice....

"Most" people around here buy the regular smelt lights that are sold at Cabelas.  A sealed light with a long cord that has alligator clips on the end.  They run off a 12 volt battery.....  Bring your battery out onto the ice with your quad or sled, hook up the light and drop it down the hole usually anywhere from 2 foot to 12 foot down for smelt......closer to the surface for crappie.  The lights are fairly cheap, even Wal Mart sells them in Michigan..........AND they DO work for smelt, crappie and walleye......

You can check them out at Cabelas.  Just type in underwater smelt lights.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.