Author Topic: 13 fishing Wicked Ice combo  (Read 1587 times)

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
13 fishing Wicked Ice combo
« on: Dec 27, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Picked up one of these combos in November.  I got a 28" L combo. It was working good for awhile. Then today I went to use my fingers to clear some ice from the top guide and it snapped off. I'm pretty sour about the quality of such an expensive combo. I would not recommend.

Offline IAcrappiehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 13 fishing Wicked Ice combo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2014, 12:12 PM »
I have 3 of the combos and would personally recommend them to anyone!!! I love all of mine! And will be getting more

Kyle_J

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Ive had mine for over a year and not had a single problem with mine.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Wow, maybe it was defective? I got one last year and landed several 8lb plus lakers, no tip issues, the reel is also,very good, drag is excellent.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2014, 02:16 PM »
those are my favorites. like the short handle, but hard to find a good rod holder for the short handle. great back bone too. i buy just the rods tho

maybe you hit it on some thing not knowing so before fishing last time. i break rod tips a lot and not sure how i am doing it. they should go into a rod locker and not the pail where they must be getting abuse.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I set the hook on a fish last year and snapped the rod at the base. No biggie, just exchanged it for a new one. I love the grip on a wicked rod.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Had one and loved it. Great sensitivity, nice and light, and the grip is amazing if you jig with pistol grip. I had a buddy of mine strip it down and put some recoil knockoff guides on it and now it is even better. He said he took the handle off to see how the handle is designed and it turns out the blank is only in the handle by 1", it is not full length. So something to keep in mind. Otherwise I would absolutely recommend one. As with all higher quality rods, you cant go bending or twisting the tip to remove ice or it will break. Save that for the $10 frabills.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2015, 02:57 PM »
I have 2 an ul and a lite both r awesome. I understand there will be defects here n there but some ppl need to realize these r sensitive grafite rods not cheap fiberglas junk you cqnt beat them around!

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:47 PM »
I have 2 an ul and a lite both r awesome. I understand there will be defects here n there but some ppl need to realize these r sensitive grafite rods not cheap fiberglas junk you cqnt beat them around!

It's a solid Toray carbon blank, very good quality. And yes you're exactly right, much easier to damage than fibreglass if you're not careful.

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:24 PM »
I didn't think I was being too rough on it, but its possible the cold weather played a part in the break while I was clearing ice off of the tip. Either way I'm pretty bummed about it. At least I salvaged the reel which seems to work very nicely. I paired it with a blank Fenwick 28ML rod for now. I'll have to be much more careful in the future. The sad part is, all of my rods get stored in a rod case and have sleeves over them so they don't tangle.

Offline dfeste

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:59 PM »
One of the biggest mistakes guys make is putting their rods is those sleeves.  I fully understand that it keeps everything neat and tangles to a minimum but they break tips.  I lay my rods in my Otter case with nothing else.  I will admit that I have to spend a little time getting the rods I want out but it's worth it.  I fish almost exclusively with noodle rods so the tips are very delicate and I have never broken a rod while fishing.  At least not since I threw away all of those sleeves.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.