Author Topic: Snowmobile Racks  (Read 13946 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Snowmobile Racks
« on: Nov 26, 2005, 06:25 AM »
I just got back to the site after the summer break.  I now live in Hancock, MI and suspect that I'll need to get a snowmobile this year for ice fishing due to the average snow depths.  Where I used to live, four wheelers were all that were needed.  However, I don't see much storage on machines.  Is there a reason for this?  Just about everybody that has a four wheeler has extra storage/carry racks. 
Chris Raymond

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowmobile Racks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2005, 09:46 AM »
Good question.  Some sleds are more utiliy oriented (arctic cat bearcat, ski-doo skandic), but neither of these have racks/cargo that are up to atv standards.  You would think someone would come up with a sled that is capable of carrying more than just a couple pieces of wood.  I think the only option is picking up a jet-sled and tow it around.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Thor--The other thing is that four wheelers provide just so much more utility as well.  Putting tracks on one is almost as expensive as buying a used sled.  In getting the sled though, one would be giving up carrying capacity.  It seems strange on-board storage hasn't been addressed by some enterprising after market company...I'm guessing there's a reason but haven't been around snowmobiles much so I don't know the answer myself.

Chris Raymond

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2005, 12:02 PM »
Chris, it's true even utility sleds don't have a lot of storage compared to an ATV.  But as long as there is somewhat of a rack you can add to it.  It's tough to beat the mobility a snowmobile offers in really deep snow.

It's an opportunity for you to be creative.  You can basically customize your own rack to suit your style of fishing.

I own a mountain sled which I use for ice fishing.  It's also my play toy when I'm not fishing.  The sled basically just has a small rack on the back designed for a small jerry can.

I designed and built my own rack which securely holds my gas auger and a one gallon gas can.

It's removable(attaches with u-bolts in about 1 minute) for when I just want to go riding.  The rest of my gear I pull with the otter sled. 

Being innovative and designing your own set-up is almost as rewarding as the fishing itself.  Plus it's a good way to put in time in between hardwater seasons ;D Give it a try man you won't be sorry...

Trevor

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Nice setup trevro im goin to try to make something like that for this year.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:21 PM »
Nice setup trevro im goin to try to make something like that for this year.

Hey thanks, it works pretty good for me.  It used to be mounted in the bed of my pickup before I bought the snowmobile.  Kept the auger from bouncing around while coming on and off the lake.  I modified and added on to it to make it work with the sled.  I sometimes miss it in the pickup :-\.  I think I'll make it so it can also be used in the truck as well.

Here are a few more detailed pics if you're interested.  The last one is from the underside showing the u-bolts used to attach it to the rack of the snowmobile.

Trevor

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Check out the latest N.A.F.C mag. its the ice fising edtiton and they have a aricle in there about after marked sled mods that hold your auger, fish trap, vex and aqua view.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2005, 04:48 PM »
Thanks guys.  I agree building these kind of things is half the fun. 

Shrub, what's NAFC?
Chris Raymond

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Thanks guys.  I agree building these kind of things is half the fun. 

Shrub, what's NAFC?

North American Fishing Club

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:57 PM »
That's a fine piece of work Trevor!  Better get a patent on that before Frabill get's ahold of your design and come out with a plastic version net year!  javascript:void(0);
Grin
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2005, 01:04 AM »
That's a fine piece of work Trevor!  Better get a patent on that before Frabill get's ahold of your design and come out with a plastic version net year!  javascript:void(0);
Grin

and you know they will 'cause they read these boards
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:41 PM »
Grin

Hey thanks for the compliment ;D.

I have looked into patents in the past.  Isn't all that cheap to get one.  I would be taking a chance on the item not doing so well, especially being as it's such a small market.  Would love to try though :-\

Would be pretty cool to cash in on some of our personal ice fishing innovations though eh?  Could be like Genz and turn the ol' hobby into a livelihood and just fish away the rest of my days ;D

Ah.............How sweet it would be...

Trevor

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:50 AM »
Would be pretty cool to cash in on some of our personal ice fishing innovations though eh?  Could be like Genz and turn the ol' hobby into a livelihood and just fish away the rest of my days ;D

Well I for one appreciate you sharing your handywork on this site!  I'm in the process of building a new sled as my old one (now 12 years old) has finally worn out.  I made a cradle on to of it for my auger, and in some ways it's similar to your design but there are a couple of things about yours that make me think Hmmmm! 
I have a question for you about the part that cradles the powerhead of your auger... Did you cut that out of a 4x4 or 2-2x6's and screw them together after you cut out the semi-circle?

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2005, 08:31 AM »
Oh BTW...  Is that a laker you're holding in your profile pic?  That thing's a MONSTER!!!  What'd he weigh, and what did you catch him on?

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Well I for one appreciate you sharing your handywork on this site!  I'm in the process of building a new sled as my old one (now 12 years old) has finally worn out.  I made a cradle on to of it for my auger, and in some ways it's similar to your design but there are a couple of things about yours that make me think Hmmmm! 
I have a question for you about the part that cradles the powerhead of your auger... Did you cut that out of a 4x4 or 2-2x6's and screw them together after you cut out the semi-circle?

Hey ToqueHunter,  I just used 6 layers of 3/4" plywood and laminated them together.

Oh BTW...  Is that a laker you're holding in your profile pic?  That thing's a MONSTER!!!  What'd he weigh, and what did you catch him on?

Yes that's a laker.  It was my entry in the IS tourney the season before last.  He was 31" with a VERY healthy girth.  I'm hoping for another this season as I'll be fishing more. 

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=7812.0

I jigged him up on a 1.5oz bucktail jig tipped with a shiner.  He was suspended (if memory serves correct) about 16' off bottom over 65' of water. 

Trevor

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Yes that's a laker.  It was my entry in the IS tourney the season before last.  He was 31" with a VERY healthy girth.  I'm hoping for another this season as I'll be fishing more. 
[/quote

Man I hope you won something from that tourney, that is one monster fish in my opinion. I'd love to get one that big someday!
How long did it take to ice him?

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2005, 06:31 PM »
How long did it take to ice him?

Was better than 10 minutes if memory serves correct.  Had to be very patient with him.  Every time his head was near the hole he would muster the energy and explode for another hard run.  I tried to play him out completely before bringing his head near the ice.  Was an 8" hole as well :o

Trevor

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:48 AM »
I have Trevor to thank for this project ::)  thanks Trev ;D

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:55 AM »
That's a pretty slick rig AKDG!  I especially like the rocket launchers on both sides!  ;D
That's a nice looking box!   :clap:

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:08 PM »
I have Trevor to thank for this project ::)  thanks Trev ;D

Lookin' good man ;)  Happy to have been of help ;D

Trevor

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:34 AM »
Wow impressive box!  I suspect no one will be tailgating you with those things pointing at them...  :o

When towing a ton of a bunch of stuff behind the snowmobile (2 man Viking, grill, auger, chairs, tip-ups, etc), I use a the big metal dog-sled style sled.  (Search Cabelas for fold-a-sled) Very large, very beefy and very heavy.  One of those fully loaded does not do steep up-hill hairpin turns very well (at all).

Typically we're travelling lighter and just use a jetsled with cover behind the snowmobile.  I find that the jetsled fills up with snow if I don't use a cover

Last year, mid-year, I went with the atv and let my boys ride the snowmobiles.  Between the atv and snowmobiles with trailers we can carry way more crap than we need. ;D

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:05 PM »
   akdg that is one of the nicest boxs and auger set ups i have seen. Just wondering what the pvc tubes are for? floatation,storage ect? will a pail fit in box with lid closed?

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:49 PM »
   akdg that is one of the nicest boxs and auger set ups i have seen. Just wondering what the pvc tubes are for? floatation,storage ect? will a pail fit in box with lid closed?
Thanks, the tubes are for tipups and jigpoles and any thing else that is up to 36" long and 6" dia.   Inside will hold a fullsize packbasket and whatever is in it + two small coolers + a bunch of small things tucked in the leftover space +the auger and my chisel. The nice part about it is that I still get to use the "basket" area on the Tundra like I used to, but don't have to worry about trashing all my stuff in a sled being towed behind me.

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:10 PM »
   Thats great, wondering if you can post measurements of the box? THANKS

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:13 PM »
   Also wondering how its mounts

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Thanks to Trevor and akdg for sharing pictures of their creations.  Built myself an auger box this weekend.  I just need to add the pvc rod and scoop holders and I'm good to go.  Some pictures:

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:20 AM »
Thanks to Trevor and akdg for sharing pictures their creations.  Built myself an auger box this weekend.  I just need to add the pvc rod and scoop holders and I'm good to go.  Some pictures:

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice job :thumbsup:  How are you keeping it in there?  I used bungees to keep it from jumping out of the basket when you hit a bump ;D

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Nice job :thumbsup:  How are you keeping it in there?  I used bungees to keep it from jumping out of the basket when you hit a bump ;D

Thanks again akdg.  I used "u" bolts through the bottom of the box, secured with wing nuts for easy removal.

Boy I really need to wash that machine...and clean out my garage :-[

Offline redsox3811

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2012, 03:26 AM »
Pretty sweet boxes anyone build one for a sled without a cargo rack like off the back? I got a Indy classic touring and got no racks on it I was thinking of an auger mount and than a rack that is detachable off the back of the auger fount on the back.  I want the auger mount to be detachable.  If anyone has any pictures that would be helpful with my build thanks

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Just a basic box on the back of mine.
It was great when I was using my pop up shelter since all of my gear would fit in there.
It did make the sleds center of gravity a little high though.   
Plus I have to remove my rear seat to use it.   :-\

It's been removed since I got my flip over though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.