Author Topic: Thorne Bros Rods  (Read 13524 times)

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thorne Bros Rods
« on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Starting to get into the custom rod world.  I've started doing some research and I'm interested in purchasing a custom rod from Thorne Bros.  I really like the Power Noodle 24", Sweet Heart 28" and the Sweet Thing 24".  I'm torn on which one to purchase first.  What are your reviews on these rods?  Any info or reviews on these models or your own favorite Thorne Bros rods are greatly appreciated.  I mainly fish for panfish, crappie, perch and walleye through the ice and love a light action set-up.  Thanks in advance fellas.  Have a great season and tight lines to all.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Thorne Bros Rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:24 PM »
TUC noodle is IMO better than the TB noodle and not much of a price difference. I will NEVER go fishing without my TUC noodle again. I'm going to get a couple more next season. I have the 32" white blank with blue wrapping and green tip. AWESOME ROD.

If you get the IDO ice fishing show where you live, they were using the tuned up custom noodles today on the crappie show. If you don't get fox sports north, then you can watch it on youtube also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CASyGPV3XVQ
EYECONICFISHING

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:56 PM »
I have a perch Sweet Heart and Sweet Thing. I used the Sweet Heart mostly for trout and have landed over a 7 lb. one on it. I think it would be a good choice  between small fry and an
occasional walleye. I use a ML walleye sweetheart for trout now. The Sweet Thing is great for panfish, and I've caught an occasional small pike on them. There rods are very well made and
you can also talk to the head rod guy, Lonnie at TB and he'll line you out.

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:34 PM »
I've got a 28" panfish sweetheart, 28" and 32" perch sweethearts and a 32" walleye sweetheart. Without a doubt the rod that sees the most action is the panfish sweetheart, mainly with 3-4mm Fiskas jigs in less than 20' of water targeting gills and perch. Come to think of it, I haven't fished any of my other rods in a couple of seasons. It's got a very sensitive tip yet is stiff enough to maintain a good feel while jigging and it has enough backbone to handle the odd LMB or trout, I landed a 19" rainbow with it earlier this season.

All that said, if you're looking for one rod for all the species you listed I'd go with the perch sweetheart as suggested by Coboy, it'll better handle the bigger offerings for walleye and still do what you need it to for the smaller species. Of course you could get both the panfish and walleye rods and fill in the other niches later.

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:32 PM »
I'm most likely going to get two different rods.  Pan fish sweet heart for sure and I'm still looking for the second.  Decisions decisions decisions...

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Please keep the reviews and opinions coming.  Any info at this point is helpful. 

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ROD IN YOUR ARSENAL??

Thanks Fellas.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:51 PM »
My 2 top rods are a TB Tripwire and a 13 Fishing Wicked, from there it's a draw between my panfish sweethart and 13 Whiteout....All get used differently though....

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:22 PM »
13 fishing been pretty good rods? I have been looking at them.
Fishin red lines

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Here are my Quiverstick, and Perch Sweetheart.

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Never mind photo bucket sucks!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:42 PM »

Yes I'm impressed with them

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:16 PM »

I'm happy with them so far.  Quality rod for a good price.  I'm just looking to expand my arsenal with more of a custom rod setup.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:38 PM »
28" Panfish Sweetheart
28" Perch Sweetheart

Bought 'em when they were less pricey  ;D 2 stellar choices IMO
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I have 3 sweetheart rods. 1 panfish and 2 walleye. I also have 4 custom musky rods from them. Yep, they know my name.
In my opinion, there are none better, Rods or store.

WS

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Quiversticks and Power Noodles are all I use. Oh and I have the Dead Stick rod too.

If I HAD to choose one, Quiverstick. No doubt.

I've heard good things about TUC also, may have to check them out next season.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:38 AM »
I have several TB rods: 27" quiver, 24" quiver, 24" powernoodle, 27" perch sweetheart, 24" Tripwire on panfish sweetheart, 24" Tripwire on quiver, 16" sweetpea and 36" Tripwire on panfish sweetheart.  My favorite is the 24" quiver with okuma fly reel for shallow water gills and 27" quiver with Pflueger president for deep or shallow panies.  I have never been a fan of the spring bobbers but I love the Tripwire for those litebiters.  Each rod has its place.  The next TB I get will prolly be a 27" perch sweetheart with ml Tripwire ...btw my other Tripwires are ml as well.  Here is a pic of all but the perch sweetheart

]

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:08 AM »
I have two 27" power noodles and love them. My buddy has a panfish sweetheart and really likes it as well. I like the QT of the power noodle but it also has backbone where you need it the most. I just got 2 wicked combos but haven't had the out yet. I have heard very good reviews about them.
 Matt

Offline tdobb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:46 AM »
I have several Thorne rods as well, and love every one of them.  I have a stocker off the shelf 24" Powernoodle, 16" Sweet Pea. And several customs too, 30" Deadstick, 30" Perch Sweetheart with recoils, 30" Quiverstick Stealth, 28" Quiverstick, and my favorite 32" Powernoodle with recoils.

They are all awesome rods each with a purpose.  To start your collection I would definitely go with a Panfish Sweetheart and a Powernoodle with recoil guides.  The recoils are especially important to me on a Powernoodle because they take so much weight off the tip of the rod and make it even easier to detect bites.  My 32" Powernoodle is the first rod out of storage every time out for panfish.  I love that rod.

How can you not love that?

Offline highvoltagejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Call TB and ask them about the 27" Stealth rod.  Pretty sick, feels like holding a toothpick!   By far the lightest rod I have ever used and it partnered well with a cheap white river fly reel from bass pro. Think its a 2-3wt reel.  Paid $97 for the rod and got a bunch of stickers for the sled.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:18 AM »
I ordered three customs in early December. One thing I noticed was how light they are. They feel really good in the hand also. Craftmanship is also top notch!

28" Quiverstick
32" Perch Sweetheart
32" MH Walleye Sweetheart

28" Qiverstick - I have used this rod the most so far this season. When they bite is on this rod shines, however i wish I would have had them put the titanium panfish spring on this rod for when the bite is light. I like the length and currently have it paired with a 500 series Daiwa. I do see a lot of jig spin, so over the summer I might convert it to a fly reel or an inline.

32" Perch Sweetheart - I used this one a little bit. I had the perch titanium spring tied into this rod, so the overall length is more like 34/35". I wish I would have had them cut this rod at 28 or 30" and kept the perch spring on it. In my one man this rod might be a little too long, but overall a nice rod. I like the spring tip!

32" MH Walleye Sweetheart - I haven't used this rod yet, but it was bought for the trip I am making this weekend to the Bay of Quinte. Stoked to hook into a monster Eye! I'm sure this rod will handle just fine!

Over the summer I will be investing in a TB Power Noodle in the 28" range, and a Deadstick in the 28-30" range.

I'm pretty set on selling the Perch Sweetheart soon, so I can order one a little shorter. It is a custom with a 6" Tennessee handle, outside REC recoil guides, blue main thread wrap and silver trim thread wrap, and finally the ML Titanium spring wire. It also says Perch right above the handle. No sticky tape has been used on the handle. I used the silicone tape that sticks to only itself. $75 shipped if anyone is interested.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline NB7314

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Quiverstick is the king of all panfish rods!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:17 PM »
i know they are a big faverate and seem like a good rod but i was a little surprised and disappointed that fore the money they could not put any info on rod.not line weight power length or Even there name.unless they just forgot on mine :-\

Offline NB7314

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:31 PM »
There are videos on youtube that show each rods specifics.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:05 PM »
i know they are a big faverate and seem like a good rod but i was a little surprised and disappointed that fore the money they could not put any info on rod.not line weight power length or Even there name.unless they just forgot on mine :-\
boy that was some good spelling huh :unsure:

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Added the Perch Sweetheart to the arsenal. Here are some pics.

Also set the Quiverstick back and got the name put on it so I could tell the difference!

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Added the Perch Sweetheart to the arsenal. Here are some pics.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Also set the Quiverstick back and got the name put on it so I could tell the difference!

Nice...  I have a Quiverstick coming and thinking about the Power Noodle next.  I mainly fish for panfish (family likes them the most)  but by next year I plan on having an arsenal of TB custom rods for anything I plan on going after.  Thanks guys for all the great posts.   ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Nice...  I have a Quiverstick coming and thinking about the Power Noodle next.  I mainly fish for panfish (family likes them the most)  but by next year I plan on having an arsenal of TB custom rods for anything I plan on going after.  Thanks guys for all the great posts.   ;D

If you can afford it try the Stealth REC guiedes on the Power Noodle. I got them on my Power Noodle and like them a lot. Super light with a decent ring size. I wish I would have spent the extra and got them on my Quiverstick.

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:17 PM »
That's what I got put on both they are awesome!

Bullelk34

« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:01 PM »
I've got a TB power noodle, 24" I think. So far I'm not using it much. I fish mostly 25'-30' FOW for perch and walleyes, it's just too light for my fishing. That said though it would make a dandy shallow water outfit, say 15' and less it would be ideal.

Offline tmeng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Hi Yankee Troller,

It's a long shot, but wanting to see if you had sold your rod?

I ordered three customs in early December. One thing I noticed was how light they are. They feel really good in the hand also. Craftmanship is also top notch!

28" Quiverstick
32" Perch Sweetheart
32" MH Walleye Sweetheart

28" Qiverstick - I have used this rod the most so far this season. When they bite is on this rod shines, however i wish I would have had them put the titanium panfish spring on this rod for when the bite is light. I like the length and currently have it paired with a 500 series Daiwa. I do see a lot of jig spin, so over the summer I might convert it to a fly reel or an inline.

32" Perch Sweetheart - I used this one a little bit. I had the perch titanium spring tied into this rod, so the overall length is more like 34/35". I wish I would have had them cut this rod at 28 or 30" and kept the perch spring on it. In my one man this rod might be a little too long, but overall a nice rod. I like the spring tip!

32" MH Walleye Sweetheart - I haven't used this rod yet, but it was bought for the trip I am making this weekend to the Bay of Quinte. Stoked to hook into a monster Eye! I'm sure this rod will handle just fine!

Over the summer I will be investing in a TB Power Noodle in the 28" range, and a Deadstick in the 28-30" range.

I'm pretty set on selling the Perch Sweetheart soon, so I can order one a little shorter. It is a custom with a 6" Tennessee handle, outside REC recoil guides, blue main thread wrap and silver trim thread wrap, and finally the ML Titanium spring wire. It also says Perch right above the handle. No sticky tape has been used on the handle. I used the silicone tape that sticks to only itself. $75 shipped if anyone is interested.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.