Author Topic: Any ideas or advice on a cheap or home made sled cover  (Read 16388 times)

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
Hey all,
Does anyone have any good alternatives to the retail sled covers? All the retail sled covers, although nice, are kinda pricey for what they do. All they seem to have is some elastic banding around the edge and a corporate logo.  I was never in dire need of one until it snowed all day while I was in my hub shanty, and my sled and gear outside was covered and filled with snow.

Short of having to sew your own, are they any alternatives? Maybe patio furniture cover or grill cover or something? Do they make tarps with elastic bands around the edge? Anyone tried anything that worked well (or didn't work well)?

All ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Any ideas or advice on a cheap or home made sled cover
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Hey all,
Does anyone have any good alternatives to the retail sled covers? All the retail sled covers, although nice, are kinda pricey for what they do. All they seem to have is some elastic banding around the edge and a corporate logo.  I was never in dire need of one until it snowed all day while I was in my hub shanty, and my sled and gear outside was covered and filled with snow.

Short of having to sew your own, are they any alternatives? Maybe patio furniture cover or grill cover or something? Do they make tarps with elastic bands around the edge? Anyone tried anything that worked well (or didn't work well)?

All ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Tarp & some bungee cords?

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:04 PM »
I've been thinking about it too. I may try a fitted bed sheet for a twin bed. Kind of thin but it may work. My other thought was an inner tube from a tractor cut down the middle and bungees.
In your situation I might just try to lay all my gear on the ice and cover it with the sled... if you don't need your sled after you're set up. Just a thought.
Another Idea may be to weave rope through the grommets on a tarp and then tighten it around your sled.
Hope this helps.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:42 PM »
If you want to spend the time you could get two  or four (I'd go with four - two for the top and two for the bottom so it's good and water proof) good tarps, a mover's blanket, and a hot glue gun and make your own.  Put the one tarp over your sled and take a marker and mark out the outline of the sled then go say six or eight inches wider (that way it will go over the sides -providing you don't have a mound in the top of the sled) and hot glue two of the tarps together (make sure to use lots of glue in multiple places not just the edges).  Next put in the mover's blanket (optional but would give extra protection to your gear) then take the other two tarps (that you hot glued together as said above) and hot glue it all together.  I know it's over kill and a bit of work but would end up being a custom home made cover if you want to spend the time and money.  A faster and cheaper route would be just to get a canvas tarp and use it.  The only thing you need to do there is once a year is spray the crap out of it with camp dry.  Just do it well before the season because that stuff stinks bad.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Not sure how much gear you got or size of it.  But often I take out two sleds of the same size and when we get to where we're going either walking or snow machine, I'll flip the one sled on top of the other to prevent snow from falling or blowing in.

An option for making one could be to buy bungee by the foot.  Take a tarp of the right dimensions put some press in button snaps along the edge, tie the bungee cord into a loop place it around the edge of the tarp and close the snaps.  Basically it'll look like a giant shower cap.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:13 PM »
I fastened a blue tarp to the front of my jet sled using a piece of slotted track for adjustable shelves. The track fit perfect up under the front lip and the slots allowed screws from the top to easily grab. I also ran 2 Velcro straps under the track allowing me to roll up the tarp. A couple bungee cords hold the back down. Has lasted 2 seasons but could probably use a new $4 tarp this year.

Offline jstarktt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Try a small motorcycle cover - had on ebay for under $20. They may not be good for traveling because they are light nylon, but would keep your stuff dry while sitting in the snow.

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:03 PM »
I am liking the idea of some cover with elastic vs. having to bungie something. The motorcycle cover sounds interesting, just wondering about the fit.

A buddy recommended a patio table cover or a fire pit cover (that has elastic trim), just need to make sure it will fit. He said some places sell patio table covers for tables that are rectangular, so that may be the winner.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:40 AM »
I think I got one for my XL Jet sled that was $29, Shappell brand. Seems pretty cheap to me?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I used a 4.00 blue tarp. Bought some 1/4" bungee cord on eBay. Got a grommet kit from harbor freight. Cut 1 side and end to fit (made it a little loose) Folded the edge over 2" and hammered in the grommet's. Took the bungee cord and looped it through the grommet's, pulled it a bit and knotted it. Done.  works great, looks like a cheep blue tarp but o'well. If you did this with a better tarp and different color it would look even better

onice2013

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:00 PM »
same here.. those small cheap tarps and bungee cords should suffice. I would go with a cover designed for a specific sled if snowmobiling or quading .. for me, I never worried about a cover with a clam flip over   

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:16 PM »
You can buy those tarp grommets and customize a tarp to you liking. Maybe rig something up with upholstery snaps as well (like what they use to snap down boat covers)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:23 PM »
why not just sew a rope in the seem of a bead sheet or some thing like it or cavas tarp? if needed use bungee cords to strap it down more if needed.

onice2013

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Come to think of it, maybe I will mofify a piece of heavy duty canvas I have that would work great should I get stuck snowmobiling against wind a squall  ..this is about the only time I would want a cover. but that would be rare case scenario. I don't own a snowmobile lol

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Oh man, if you ever pull with a sled, you gotta use a cover. Or make sure everything is in bags or something to protect from the snow.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline Recreationist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Try using a synthetic roofing underlayment product called Titanium by InterWrap. Sew some bungee cord in around the perimeter and you are good to go.  The "shiny"  side sheds ice/snow like no other.  Pretty strong & versatile material, we use it for covering equipment, ground tarps for tents, snowmobile covers, etc.  Probably can get a free piece from a local roofing contractor.  It is 48" wide and however long you want.  Lasts better in high UV areas than blue tarps. Ultrasonic or hot-air welding works as well.

onice2013

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:48 PM »
What do you mean sew bungee cords? You saying building house wrap can be sown to the bungees ??? I seen that stuff in the roofing section at home depot. Probably cost china a fraction of the cost to manufacture this eco friendly synthetic replacing asphalt 15/30lb felt roofing underlayment .. but I never used it yet.. must be like tyvek and other brand housewrap. But expensive per roll and the small  6x8 blue tarp for 5 bucks folded in half would work fine strapped with bungee cords

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I've used a canvas tarp for 15 years. It measures 4x6 and with bungies covers my stuff quite well.
Thread killer

onice2013

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:52 PM »
canvas is good idea, the smallest plastic tarps should do the job too.  I imagine the building wrap underlayment materials would work too if sown or taped over a bungee cord

Offline grosje47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:45 AM »
I have an idea, they are called gaylord covers, we use them at work its essentially a clear tarp made of thick (1/4" or so) flexible plastic with an elastic cord around the brim, I think its made of polypropylene, but regardless they range from 23-80$ you would have to order it but it would be great for maybe next year.  Im thinking about ordering one my self. 

check it out it might do the trick or maybe spark some ideas at least,
good luck!
http://www.ppe.com/11cat/0106.pdf

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I just fail to understand why anyone would get anything other than the Shappell. It's $29 and come in specific sizes. I pulled through 8" of slush and about 8" of water and thank god I had it. It's water proof, water was beading right off it! I had to keep the sled above 30 mph at least and it was spraying water all over the sled but it beaded right off. 

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:15 AM »
Agreed on the factory cover. If you hunt around the internet they are on sale from time to time. $40 isn't cheap but I'm willing to bet that one of the clam or shapell or frabill ones will outlast a homemade tarp one 2 or 3 to 1. I've had clam ones on both of mine for 5 yrs and they still look brand new and the bungee around the bottom is still tight as when I bought them

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Marry a woman whos good with a needle and thread =)

Wifey made this for about $12

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline grosje47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Hey baitbucket where did you get that fabric? Im working on a home made shanty that looks like some good stuff!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Its waterproof/windproof nylon. Like tent material. Get it at any craft store
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline JSTDV8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2013, 03:45 PM »
powder builds up under the bungies pre fit ones until you force snow into the front underneath.
We make our own tie down system. we drill holes around the rim of the sled every 12-16" and then match up an aluminum flat stock to the holes (sets of two) then we run a piece of good rope through all the holes all the way around. So basically you end up with a bunch of little rope handles on the sides and front of the sled.
Then we lay a tarp in the sled, pile in the gear, fold the tarp over on top so the snow is forces away from the opening. lastly we take a section of bungee rope and criss cross it through all the "handles" you made on the sides.
going left to right from front to back and then tie it off. this is very tight and also allows you to put a shovel under the bungee rope on the outside if you want. No snow ever gets in. Takes about an hour to make from scratch.
Fisherman do it in the water

Offline c_becker11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Apr 03, 2014, 03:51 PM »
I have an idea, they are called gaylord covers, we use them at work its essentially a clear tarp made of thick (1/4" or so) flexible plastic with an elastic cord around the brim, I think its made of polypropylene, but regardless they range from 23-80$ you would have to order it but it would be great for maybe next year.  Im thinking about ordering one my self. 

check it out it might do the trick or maybe spark some ideas at least,
good luck!
http://www.ppe.com/11cat/0106.pdf

Just came across this post, has anyone tried this? I'm looking for an alternative for my Otter XT1200 Lodge...I bought the factory cover and it is garbage. Already ripped and doesn't stay on when traveling.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 05:59 PM »
A resized ATV cover makes a pretty good substitute.  They come on sale every so often for about $19-$29 depending on size.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 04, 2014, 10:15 PM »
what about a cover made like the frabill recon sleds so every thing has a place? make it out of lexan like 1/8 or 1/4 inch lexan available at lowes home depot etc ...or even fiber glass? i know the sled was full of snow and stuff in sled was covered in powder snow that why i say this. also what about measurements if we got them we could search for some stuff that mite work like rubber maid bins for under bed storage? like a 30x40 one?   that mite fit over the top of the sled?? then use a bungee cord in a cross pattern to hold it down to eye bolts attached to the sled put a set of stops in the sled so it only closes/ pushes so far down on top of the sled etc... etc ,.... any how you get the picture... like a hard cover?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.