Author Topic: Are we there yet?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Are we there yet?
« on: Nov 16, 2021, 08:50 AM »
Hey y’all, how ya been?  Slow day today so I decided to bring Ice Shanty back up on my favorites bar and check in.  My first chore before the season begins will be to embed 250 ice studs in the SnowDog track.  I’m not planning on new gear this year except maybe a new NILS auger and jumbo sled.  And new line on the ice reels, of course.  Matt, keep me in the loop for any High Uinta trips starting in December.  I’ll be ready after I get back on December 5th from helping some Texans lower their goose & sandhill crane numbers.  Since I don’t duck hunt on weekends, I’ll be free for some walking on water; know what I mean Vern?  Looking forward to getting more trips in this season than last season.  See y’all soon.
 ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Are we there yet?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Hey Bob, just checking the temps at Henry's looks like 3-4 days of cold enough to start the ice... But I hear they are expecting a lot of wind, so may not get there this time... But probably starting to get close... Hope so... Later J

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2021, 07:15 AM »
Good luck on your Texas hunts Bob. If the weather cooperates like it is today (16 deg, no wind) we will hopefully be getting on Henrys when your getting home Bob. Depending when they shut down Hwy150 we may be back up there, if not a Smith & Morehouse trip might be in order again. I hear its super low but the graylings, brooks and kokes kept me plenty busy up there last year, good times.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2021, 07:50 AM »
Have you established dates for the Henry's trip yet?  I'm not sure about going yet, but have been thinking - maybe?!?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2021, 09:00 AM »
We're praying for Dec 3-6 if there's enough ice to camp on, if not it may get pushed back one more weekend but that's about all we'll be able to do with Christmas so close and of course the lake closing Jan 1st.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2021, 10:23 AM »
Ah so GI!  Well, if it gets pushed back a week, then still maybe.  The Texas hunt the week after Thanksgiving will be set in concrete until I can't do it anymore.  But I'll have plenty of ice time here in Utah this year, so I'm sure we'll hook up eventually.  Bought a new Shappell HD Sled and StrikeMaster Lite-Flight auger yesterday at the 'Den' in Roy.  My 6" K-Drill is now looking for a new home ($100  ;D).   
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2021, 12:42 PM »
Matt, have you seen that the lake may in fact NOT close on January 1 this year. Their new proposal was adopted allowing for fishing all year but I’m not sure when it goes into effect.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2021, 01:57 PM »
I have not heard that Trent but will do some researching now  ??? ???
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
This may help
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2021, 03:00 PM »
The Idaho F&G Commission Meeting was Nov 15-16, 2021.  As to the Henry's Lake issue, this is from the Meeting Agenda and Appendix A.
23. Henrys Lake fishing season extension
Proposal: Lengthen the current fishing season on Henrys Lake to allow additional fishing opportunity.
Recommendation is: Saturday of Memorial Day weekend through February 14: trout limit is 2,
February 15 through Friday before Memorial Day weekend: trout limit is 0, catch-and-release.
Rationale: Extensive surveys of the trout population and angler harvest surveys show that trout populations
can withstand much more angler harvest without having a negative long-term effect on abundance or
average size. Angler harvest rates of trout are very low (less than 10% annually) and most fish die of natural
causes. This proposal could extend the ice fishing season, and provide opportunity for catch-and-release
fishing early in the season when fishing conditions are best for high catch rates. The primary difference
between Option A and Option B is that Option B includes a fishing closure period before the opening of the
traditional harvest season on Memorial Day weekend. Option A became the staff recommendation.
Staff Recommendation: Adopt as proposed.

I also called the F&G Office in Idaho Falls this afternoon and talked to one of their staff and was told that the Proposal was approved by the Commission and that it will become effective on Jan 1, 2022.  I definitely could do a January Trip to Henry's.  Thanks for that heads up Trent.  Life is good and getting better every day.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Nice Bob thanks for digging into that. I would have never thought they would change that date. Things are looking good. Now let's just get some hard cap on there
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2021, 04:26 PM »
This is sweet guys!  More fishing and more opportunities for the local businesses up there to keep the lights on during the winter.  Hope I can make it up there this year.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2021, 04:36 PM »
I’ve seen others mention online that it really won’t change the angling pressure MUCH, and I have to agree with them. You’ll have to be borderline insane to go fish Henry’s lake in late January or February with the amount of snowpack they usually accumulate. Pair that with lethargic “late season” trout and there won’t be much change. HOWEVER, if we have a year with low snow pack, a late ice year, etc, it’ll be great to still be able to get a trip in!
Trent Williams

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2021, 12:03 PM »
Regardless of all that, looks like she capped last night! Not sure if it’s a full cap or not, but ice on the pond.
Trent Williams

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.