The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: February trip options  (Read 2377 times)

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
February trip options
« on: Jan 04, 2020, 05:20 PM »
I'd like to come to fish in MN because our ice in lower Michigan is not looking great.   I've got about a week off  in the beginning of February.  I primarily target crappies and gills here, so my tackle is geared toward smaller fish.  I'm not opposed to making a small investment in walleye gear,  but I'd be really happy to get on a good crappie or perch lake too.  I have a quad,  but I'm guessing that driving my truck out at that time of year might be fine. 
My question is, where should a guy look to go?  I've watched enough IDO to get the idea that there seems to be fishing options everywhere.  Obviously, I'm not looking for GPS coordinates, but more an idea where to start searching for hotels.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: February trip options
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Crappie gear catches walleye up there. In Feb i would be looking at the Northwest Angle.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:10 PM »
How about perch on Winnie. You should be set.

WS

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:37 AM »
That would certainly be a shorter drive than the angle.   I'll have to look into it.

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Lake Osakis by Alexandria usually is good in February    There are several other good lakes in the area to fish but snow has been a problem this year if there isn’t a plowed road 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:14 AM »
McFly - Did you make plans?  There's a bunch of lakes just northeast of the Twin Cities, Chisago area over to Coon, down towards the St. Croix that are all driveable right now and have good panfish populations.   

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2020, 03:04 PM »
This was to be my time, but I'm just getting back in my feet after a week of influenza.  Maybe next year...

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:54 PM »
McFly - Did you make plans?  There's a bunch of lakes just northeast of the Twin Cities, Chisago area over to Coon, down towards the St. Croix that are all driveable right now and have good panfish populations.

Winterbuddy - do you have any suggestions for the brainerd area? We are staying on Gull lake for 4 days this weekend but i'd like to venture off to some smaller lakes after some crappie, I hear crappie are tough to come by on Gull..
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.