New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: CNY Thread: Southern Herkimer, Oneida, Otsego, Madison, and Chenango Counties.  (Read 1649 times)

Offline PMacK3

• IceShanty Rookie
I figure Central New York deserves a thread too.  The weather just hasn't been cooperating with us so far and I know everyone is just itching for the hard water.  Lets keep this thread going.  Any predictions for first ice on some of the smaller bodies?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
My 1 acre pond has been frozen now for 2 days. Just north of Cooperstown.

BIGjim223

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
Doesn't look like Cando will be froze anytime soon, last sat. water temp near shore was 52* in the sun according to portable Hummingbird.   40s predicted for daytime highs this week...  I'd say Jim's pond would be a great place to fish now, but there are some wild dogs about that will steal any fish left on the ice

Offline PMacK3

• IceShanty Rookie
Doesn't look like Cando will be froze anytime soon, last sat. water temp near shore was 52* in the sun according to portable Hummingbird.   40s predicted for daytime highs this week...  I'd say Jim's pond would be a great place to fish now, but there are some wild dogs about that will steal any fish left on the ice

That doesn't sound good! I try to stay away from cando anyway, but id like to get out on one of the areas lakes around new years or shortly after. Until then, im looking north

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict

Even Cando would be alright at this point! I hope my pond is safe Sunday morning, (18 degrees right now) I will drill a hole and just fish it for effect! And the wild dogs won't go on the ice until THEY know it is safe! Can't say the same for me! LOL! I may even drag the Clam out there just to get the neighbors talking! I will post pictures of that!

BIGJim223

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
Well my pond is not "quite" safe yet. I did stand on it, but there was serious crackage! Maybe after tonight, it is 25 degrees right now @ 4:45 and it never got above freezing today.
  On a good note, both Young's Lake and Weaver Lake in the town of Warren froze last night, ice was about an inch thick when I was there. Before I left, another guy came and checked on the ice too, said he was dieing to get out there and punch some holes!
  I can relate!

BIGJim223

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
Good to know!  I'll be up the hill every afternoon this week tryin to blast off the old blackpowder, maybe I'll get sidetracked

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good to know!  I'll be up the hill every afternoon this week tryin to blast off the old blackpowder, maybe I'll get sidetracked

I think you need to try a different hill........

BIGJim223

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  On a good note, both Young's Lake and Weaver Lake in the town of Warren froze last night, ice was about an inch thick when I was there.   
  I can relate!

BIGJim223

Jim, how grubby have the fish been from there???  I havent been there in several years cus they were so bad......
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict

Jim, how grubby have the fish been from there???  I havent been there in several years cus they were so bad......

They are still very grubby! I don't keep any when I go there, even though they are OK to eat, not for me!

BIGJim223

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
They are still very grubby! I don't keep any when I go there, even though they are OK to eat, not for me!

BIGJim223

Great place to take kids if you want to catch pan fish, but I like eating my winter catch..  With out grubs.... ;D

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
Cando down to 40* in the shallows...there might be hope for Xmas ice fishing with the predicted highs of 25 this weekend

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
Skim ice all over Cando this morning. All the ponds in the area are frozen this morning. Now if that 40 degrees and rain they forecast for the week ahead just stays away.....

BIGJim223

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Skim ice all over Cando this morning. All the ponds in the area are frozen this morning. Now if that 40 degrees and rain they forecast for the week ahead just stays away.....

BIGJim223

Yep...   Should be looking good..... ;D

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
Walked on Cando today - whole east side frozen 1 1/2".  West side open, all ice likely to be gone tomorrow, but it was a start!

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
still gonna be a while. i imagine what ice we have will be gone by thursday. i just hope to be on some ice by the new year.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was walking on Young's Lake and my pond Sunday morning, both are still locked up but my pond is no longer safe. Tried it this afternoon and it wouldn't hold me up. Still well below freezing here, but had a lot of solar gain today. Doesn't look good for tomorrow, mid 40's......

BIGJim223

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
took dogs down to the canal today in marcy area on the canal. bout an inch of mostly black ice. seems w out snow to insulate the ice, even w marginable temps and forecasts, the ice seems to be moving in the rt direction.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
anyone got any info on cando or youngs lake? im startin to go crazy

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Madison County update... ???
I will give info on the Madison County Reports and Conditions Thread ;) :P
AW

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
anyone got any info on cando or youngs lake? im startin to go crazy

Young's Lake locked up, but not safe 10:30 this morning.

BIGJim223

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
agreed, walked a bit on youngs, was 2" slush on top of maybe 2" ice, open water in center, not impressed.  Cando is wide open, put a boat in you won't have to wait in line at the launch.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
agreed, walked a bit on youngs, was 2" slush on top of maybe 2" ice, open water in center, not impressed.  Cando is wide open, put a boat in you won't have to wait in line at the launch.

That is what I am thinking on Otsego!

BIGJim223

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
had a pleasant surprise checkin the ice this weekend. there was pretty solid ice where it had nt melted-duh. good enuff to support the dogs. i suspect many smaller waters{skinny, shallow, few acres}  that did nt open up mite have 3 in by this weekend. i ll be the using the spud and the rest of my safety eqipment. worth a check 

Offline CNY Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone know if any of the small bodies of water locked up in southern Onieda or Madison County?  Sure would be nice to get out on the ice!!!  :) :) :)
Retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief

Offline partyshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
 ???deRuyter Lake ??? anyone?
Some say the glass is half empty, some say half full. The Irish will forever say "You gunna drink that?"

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wondering if youngs has safe ice yet? Like everyone else have the itch to get on the hard water. But I want to be safe

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well gents got out today. been checking a spot for couple weeks. cant endorse 2.5-3 inches, but it was good black ice. nothing to show for puttin out 5 tip ups and jigging. one flag and couple nibbles. few other people down a ways. it was meltin pretty good so we were only on for couple hours. after next thaw its gonna need a week to recover. had all safety equip and a friend. nice baitshop in marcy. good to get out.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
went out on Youngs and Cando yesterday - not much ice on either.  Youngs had 3-4" of clear black ice.  Cando had a lot of pack ice and 2" of ice after that.  Do not recommend much travel on that.  Did not catch fish on either ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.