Author Topic: Where to find some Pike?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline bbduxbury

• IceShanty Rookie
Where to find some Pike?
« on: Dec 06, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I was looking for a good lake to try catching some nice sized pike around the Houghton Area, I hear a lot about Rice lake but I also hear that they are very small. Is Chassell bay a good place for pike? Any other lakes around the area that I should look into?

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Where to find some Pike?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Rice lake average size is probably 18", no size limit for a reason. Did my best up there on chassel bay. Big crappie in there too

Offline bbduxbury

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Thank you! I might try some night fishing during the workweek and see if I can get some crappie. Any advice about where to try and get them?

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Well I went out to Chassell Bay today but didn't stay, the snow must have done a number on the ice. Not sure what it was like when you were there, but today there was 6 in or more of snow on top of a layer of soft slush ice maybe 2-3 inches thick, then a layer of water, then just a thin layer of soft black ice. Spud went through everything with one whack.

Headed over to check Otter Lake after that, same deal but more layers: lots of snow then slush ice then water then slush ice then water then black ice. Again could get spud through everything with one hit.

All this dang snow is really slowing things down. Even with the cold temps I'm guessing that's not going to make much progress in the next few days given the amount of insulation there.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2019, 09:01 PM »
just off the axcess  at chassell  is usually good for pike

and easy to get to wen it gets slushy

SnoHam13

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.